Keychain

The Bet

 

Jiyeon texted Myungsoo that she will go to the park earlier than expected because Chunji let her be. As soon as she arrived, she saw Myungsoo sitting quietly on a bench. She approached him and waved when he lifted his head and smiled at her.

“You’re here.” he said. Jiyeon just nodded and stood there in front of Myungsoo. “Come on, sit down.” Jiyeon sat beside Myungsoo looking down her lap. They were silent and they can just here their steady breathing since they were sitting so close to each other.

Jiyeon decided to break the silence forming between them and said, “You said you’re going to give me something?” Jiyeon looked at Myungsoo with an inquiring look.

Myungsoo just smiled and took Jiyeon’s hand. “Let’s buy something to eat first. I’m hungry.” She just nodded and followed Myungsoo. They went to a hotdog cart at the park. “Do you want some?”

“Nah, Chunji and I ate before I come here. I’m still full.” Jiyeon shook her head and smiled. They went back to the bench they were sitting on and Myungsoo ate in silence. Jiyeon looked at him whose hands were looking nervous and Myungsoo seemed to thinking deeply about something.

“So what are you going to give me, hm?” Jiyeon asked looking at him. “Chocolates? I love chocolates.” She chuckled and watched the children who were playing at the park.

Myungsoo shook his head and looked anxiously at Jiyeon. He was thinking if he should tell her or not. Should she really interfere in her life or just let her be. He just wants to help. That’s all. “Well…” Myungsoo started and heaved a sigh. “I didn’t want to interfere with your past but it left me curious so… I went back to Seoul.”

“And then?” Jiyeon asked anxious on what Myungsoo knew. What does Myungsoo knew about her past? Why does Myungsoo has to go back to Seoul just to know something from her past? She was running away from her past but here is Myungsoo who keeps on making her remember everything.

“Eunjung noona gave me this…” Myungsoo took Jiyeon’s hand and placed a little keychain on her palm. She looked at him with surprised eyes. “She told me that this is the only memory left between you and… Hyunwoo.”

“You… don’t have to do this.” Jiyeon said as she held on the keychain tightly and stood up. Myungsoo hurriedly grabbed her wrist asking her to stay. “Let me overcome it on my own.”

“I just want to help you.”

“I’m not asking for your help.” Jiyeon said in a stern voice. “I don’t need your help.”

“Why can’t you just forget everything about it?” Myungsoo said sounding worried for Jiyeon.

Jiyeon scoffed not looking at Myungsoo and said, “Do you think I never tried to forget? It keeps on haunting me.”

“I can help you forget. Just give me a chance.” Myungsoo stood up looking dearly at her and squeezed her hands lightly. “Just let me help you.”

“You don’t know what you’re saying.” Tears started forming on Jiyeon’s eyes making her sight blurry. She didn’t know why Myungsoo was so nice to her. She can’t even look straight to Myungsoo’s kind eyes knowing that she lied to him about the bet and now he wants to help her forget. It was just too much for her to take. “I don’t need anyone’s help.”

“You do. You just don’t let us help you.” Myungsoo caressed her hands and looked at her. “I’ll make you forget about it.”

“I tried on running away from it, Myungsoo. I tried.” Jiyeon said as her eyes went on shifting from one side to another. “But it just won’t let me go. They are all blaming me, Myungsoo. It’s my fault.”

“Don’t run away from it. Face it, Jiyeon.” Myungsoo said as he cupped Jiyeon’s cheeks. Tears started to escape from her eyes. “Let’s face it. Together.”

“No… we can’t face it together…” Jiyeon looked at him; her tears didn’t stop on pouring down. “You were not there.”

“But I’m here now. Lets end your suffering together.” Myungsoo said as she wiped Jiyeon’s tears. “You deserve real happiness, Jiyeon.”

Jiyeon held on Myungsoo’s arms trying to search for her words in Myungsoo’s eyes. “Why are you doing this? Why are you so kind to me?”

“Because I like you, Jiyeon.” He looked straight to Jiyeon’s eyes. “I’ve always liked you from the start.”

Jiyeon shook her head and held on Myungsoo’s shoulders. “You can’t like me. You don’t know me.”

“I thought you like me, too. You even ask for a date.”

“You don’t understand.”

“Were you thinking of using me to forget? Then use me. I’ll help you forget, Jiyeon.”

“I don’t want you to end up like Hyunwoo.”

“We’ll change what happened. What happened to him is not your fault.”

“But it’s my entire fault, Myungsoo.” Jiyeon said kneeling on the ground while Myungsoo in front of her trying to comfort. She kept on mumbling Hyunwoo’s name and saying it’s her fault. She kept on blaming herself and sobbing remembering her past.

“It’s not your fault, Jiyeon-ah. It’s not.” Myungsoo said pulling Jiyeon into a tight embrace. She just kept on crying on his chest and she looked up to Myungsoo with guilt in her eyes.

“I killed him.”