The Bench

Surprise Romance

A warm summer breeze blew made its way through the window and gently blew across my cheek waking me from my sleep. I stretched lazily in bed and looked over to my side. There lay my sweet Seunghyun still sleeping, vulnerable and completely at ease. I sat up and leaned over him, hovering inches from his face and placed a soft kiss on his cheek. He slowly opened his eyes and smirked at his special wakeup call. He brushed my hair behind my ear and caressed my cheek with his warm hand. 

“Good morning,” he said groggily. “And happy anniversary.” 
 
I giggled, “Happy anniversary. I can’t believe you remembered.” 
 
“What? How could I forget the day that changed my life?” He chuckled and pulled me in for a kiss. 
 
I brought myself to his side wrapped my arm across his waist, hugging him tightly. I turned to rest my chin on his chest. “I can’t believe we’ve been together for a year already.” A dreamy smile stretched across my face. 
 
Seungyhun sighed deeply and began to run his fingers through my hair. “Time really has passed us quickly. It feels like just the other day that I found you sleeping on that bench.” 
 
We laughed while reminiscing about the night we first met. After spending a few more moments chatting about the past year, we finally go out of bed. I stood at the window and took a deep breath. 
 
“Ahh~ it’s such a beautiful day!” I could hear the birds chirping among the sounds of the city. Seunghyun stepped up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist, hugging me from behind. I leaned back slightly into him and brought my hands to his. 
 
“So, what do you want to do today? I have the whole day free; it’s just you and me.” He nuzzled his face into my neck, resting his chin on my shoulder. 
 
“Mmmm…I don’t know…” I loosened Seunghyun’s grasp around my waist and turned myself around to face him snaking my arms around his neck. I kissed him softly with slight urgency. He pulled back slowly and looked at me with a smug expression. 
 
“A little early to be frisky, isn’t it?” He asked, teasing me with another kiss, this time a bit deeper. 
 
He rested his forehead on mine as we broke from our kiss. “So, really,” he began again, “What do you want to do today?” 
 
I pouted knowing I wasn’t going to get what I wanted, making him release a low chuckle. “Well, if I had to choose…I want to be out in the sun today. I want to enjoy this beautiful day with you.” 
 
He nodded and kissed me on my forehead. “Ok, I have an idea. Let’s get ready.” 
 
***********************************************
 
We jumped into the car and headed towards our destination. The roads we traveled somehow looked similar, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. But soon I realized we were going to where I had spent my birthday last year. I giggled and glanced at Seunghyun who was confused about my laughter. 
 
“Are you taking me to the theme park?” 
 
“Huh? How did you know??” 
 
I laughed, “Silly, remember Daesung brought me here last year for my birthday! I recognized the roads on the way here.” 
 
“Ahhh, I forgot.” He looked a little disappointed. “I wanted it to be a surprise. Did you want to do something else?”
 
“No!” I waved my hands in protest. “I actually wanted to go to the theme park with you before, too. But there was just never enough time.” 
 
He smiled in response, relieved that his plan wasn’t completely ruined. 
 
We arrived at the theme park hand in hand and did pretty much everything from riding rides, stuffing our faces with park food, and playing games. Before we knew it, we had spent nearly the entire day at the theme park and the sun was starting to set. 
 
While filling my mouth with cotton candy, I tugged excitedly at Seunghyun’s arm. “Hey! Let’s ride the ferris wheel before we leave.” I the sugary coat left on my lips while looking up at him. 
 
He chuckled and nodded in agreement, leading me towards the ride. We were lucky enough that the worker let us have the whole cart to ourselves. Seunghyun wrapped his arm around my shoulder and I leaned into him, still enjoying my cotton candy and occasionally feeding some to Seunghyun. The ride began and as we slowly approached the top of the ride, I gasped in awe. 
 
We could see the city full of life; cars passing on the streets and people walking hurriedly on the sidewalks. The color of the sunset lit up the city in bright oranges and the lights reflected off of the windows of the tall buildings, twinkling almost like stars. 
 
A sigh escaped from my lips not breaking my gaze from the city. “The view is so beautiful from up here…” 
 
“Yeah, it is.” I turned my glance to Seunghyun and saw that he was already looking at me. The sun hit him from the behind, outlining him and casting his shadow across my face. He wore a soft smile as his eyes traced my features. I smiled shyly in returned and cupped his face in my hands to pull him into a gentle kiss. 
 
“I love you,” I whispered to him as we parted. He brought his hand to one of mine and squeezed it softly looking deeply in my eyes. 
 
“I love you, too.”  We exchanged loving glances and enjoyed our remaining time on the ride. 
 
Darkness was setting in by the time we got back to the car. 
 
“Are you hungry?” Seunghyun asked. 
 
“Not really,” I shook my head. “All that junk food we ate at the park kind of filled me up.” 
 
He laughed quietly and continued to drive through the city. He soon pulled into a parking lot that I wasn’t familiar with. He jumped out of the car and motioned for me to follow him. I took his arm in mine as we walked along the sidewalk, passing other people and couples along the way. 
 
“Seunghyun, where are we going?” 
 
He smiled down at me, “Don’t worry. We’re almost there.” 
 
I glanced around curiously trying to identify where we were. Suddenly as we turned the corner and my jaw dropped as my eyes fell on the very bench where Seunghyun and I had met. Laughing I looked up at him completely surprised. He merely smiled back at me and led me to the bench to sit down. 
 
I leaned back and took a deep breath before sighing. “Has it really been a year since we’ve been here? I don’t think I ever thanked Lily for locking me out of the hotel that night.”
 
Seunghyun chuckled under his breath. “I really do owe everything I have now to her.” 
 
I smiled shyly and moved myself closer to Seunghyun, resting my hand on his lap and my head on his shoulder. He kissed the top of my head before standing up in front of me. 
 
Confused, I looked up at him and tiled my head to the side raising an eyebrow. He looked tense and bit his lip nervously casting his gaze down at his feet. He stood this way in silence for a few moments causing me to worry. 
 
“Seunghyun…Is everything ok?” 
 
He closed his eyes and sighed deeply. He glanced down at me and stepped closer embracing my cheek in his hand. With his other hand he picked up my left hand and began to kneel. I shook my head in disbelief. 
 
“S-Seunghyun…” I looked at him through teary eyes. 
 
Gently holding my hand, he gazed up into my eyes, “One year ago, I met a special girl here not realizing how much she would come to mean to me.” He reached into his pocket and brought out a small box and opened it, revealing a beautifully delicate diamond ring. He exhaled nervously before continuing. “Yuri, you’re the most important person in my life and I love you more than anything in this world.” Holding up the ring, he looked deep into my eyes. “Yuri, will you marry me?” 
 
My voice failed me as tears ran down my face. I could only manage to nod my head in response. Relieved, he grinned back at me and slipped the ring on my finger; it fit perfectly. I looked at the ring in shaking my head unable to believe what just happened. He stood up and pulled me up along with him. He cupped my face in his hands and ran his thumbs across my cheeks, wiping away the trails of my tears. He kissed me softly, lingering for a few moments before pulling away. His hands fell from my face and wrapped themselves around my waist as I brought mine to his shoulders. 
 
I looked up at him beaming and laughing quietly. “Did this really just happen? Or is this a dream?” 
 
He chuckled and smiled sweetly. “Yes, and you are very much awake.” He traced the edge of my cheek with his finger before leaning in to give me another loving kiss.