Fruits

Surprise Romance
I waved Seunghyun goodbye as he walked off in one direction looking over his shoulder to catch one last glimpse of me as he walked back to the set. I turned in the opposite direction to look for Daesung. After asking a few workers, I found Daesung at the refreshment table snacking on a some fruit and chatting with a few workers. 
 
I made my way to him, waved and smiled hello to both him and the other workers. Much to my dismay, on our way back to the car, we bumped into Ja Hye. 
 
“Hello, again!” She said in a cheery tone, beaming at us as her eyes shifted between Daesung and I. 
 
Daesung greeted her brightly, “Ah! Hello, Ja Hye! How is filming today?” He seemed to be familiar with her. Once again, I was left standing uncomfortably as they continued to chat excitedly with each other. 
 
“By the way, Daesung…” Ja Hye quieted her voice and leaned in to whisper not-so-secretly to ask him something. “When are you going to help set me up with Seunghyun? I’m dying to go on a date with him!” 
 
I shot Daesung a look from the corner of my eyes after hearing her question. Daesung shifted his eyes nervously and rubbed the back of his neck. “Ja Hye…that’s asking too much. It’s not up to me who Seunghyun dates.” 
 
She pouted, “Why not?? Just mention me casually. Or--” She flashed him an innocent smile and suddenly hooked her arm with mine. I took a step back in surprise and Daesung and I looked at her in shock. “The four of us can go on a double date!” 
 
“Ya, Ja Hye--” Daesung started but she interrupted. 
 
“--C’mon, Dae!” She looked at me then back to him. “You guys actually make a cute couple! Just try…please??” She tried her best to be cute but Daesung wasn’t having it. 
 
He spoke in a firm tone and was no longer wearing a pleasant expression. “Ja Hye, just drop it. It’s not going to happen. I would be going out of line. I can’t do it.” He glanced downwards then towards me trying to read my expression. 
 
She sighed and shrugged. “Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to do it myself.” And with that she waved to us and walked away while wearing a happy smile. A smile that I wanted to wipe off her face with one swift motion of my hand. 
 
When we got back to the car, I sat down and closed my eyes trying to collect my thoughts. Daesung turned to me and said, “Yuri-ah, I’m sorry about that. I didn’t think she was still hung up on Seunghyun.” He sighed trying to think of something else to say to comfort me. 
 
“Who is she?” 
 
“Ja Hye and Seunghyun starred in another film a couple years ago. She wanted to date him back then, too. But he was never interested in her.” Daesung tried to give me a reassuring smile. “Don’t worry about her. She just doesn’t know when to stop.” 
 
I shook my head. “It’s ok. Seunghyun and I kind of talked about it today. I just have to trust him.” I smiled weakly at Daesung who was wearing a sad expression. “Though, it won’t stop me from thinking about wanting to throw a bucket of water over her head.” 
 
Daesung let go a loud laugh before we exchanged glances and laughed together as he  started the car and pulled out of the parking lot. 
 
“AHH! I hate this feeling.” Feeling frustrated, I turned to look out the window as we passed through the city. “Daesung, why does jealousy exist?” 
 
“Hmm,” he pouted his lips a little trying to think of an answer. “Maybe it’s to remind us that we’re always going to want what we can’t have…” He looked at me from the corner of his eye before he continued. “Or in your case,” he said as he looked back at the road, “maybe you’re just upset that she can display her affections to him publicly, but you can’t.” 
 
I sighed; he was probably right. All I wanted was for us to be a normal couple, but that would never happen. But I wouldn’t have changed anything about our relationship. I kept repeating in my head what Seunghyun told me. I just had to wait a little longer, then we wouldn’t have to hide anymore. 
 
“Hey,” Daesung said interrupting my thoughts. “Are you hungry? Let’s grab some lunch before going back home. I’m so hungry!” 
 
“Yes! I’m starving! But how can you be hungry? You just ate a snack at the movie set.” 
 
He laughed shyly, “Ahh, yeah…but…you see, the fruits were so small…barely enough to fill up my stomach! Such sad fruits!” 
 
I laughed at his answer and he smiled back at me, happy that he could put a smile back on my face.