Hi dad

Who Said It Was Gonna Be Easy?

“We are here” the taxi driver says looking in the rearview mirror

“I know” DooJoon sighs and quickly pays him before getting out. He digs his hands in his pocket and turns to look at the small house he grew up in. He hasn’t been here in 2 years. After his grandma died he lost the reason to why he had kept in contact. She would have been so sad if she had known how DooJoon’s relationship with his father just disappeared when she died but with her gone DooJoon felt no need to keep in touch with him. He had no respect for the man and he was ashamed of being his child

Now he is back. He takes a deep breath and walks over to the door knocking on it and looks down. He hears someone moving around on the other side but when the door opens he is still looking down.

“DooJoon? Is that you?”

DooJoon looks up finally and sees his dad “Hi dad” he forces a small smile

“I’m…. I’m stunned. I never expected to see you again. Not after how we ended it last” His dad stares at his full grown son looking like it really was the last thing in the world he had ever expected

DooJoon nods “Yeah I know. But I changed and… I wanted to see how you were doing”

“Come in” his dad says eagerly and steps to the side. DooJoon nods and steps inside the house remembering the huge fight they had the last time he was here. He had called his dad so many mean things, told him he was a loser and said it was no wonder mum had left.

“Are you still a DJ?” he dad asks putting out some slippers

“Yea” DooJoon nods “I work at this club called L.I.F.E. I don’t know if you hear of it?”

“I have actually. You work there?” he dad smiles a bit proud

“Yeah. I started there pretty much as they opened and I have been there for just over a year” DooJoon smiles as well but just a little

“Well well. My boy has become famous then” his dad keeps smiling "I hear it is the biggest thing in town"

DooJoon lets out a soft laugh “I wouldn’t say that. I’m just the DJ not the front figure. We got others to do that”

“Still” His dad shrugs. DooJoon smiles and looks down.

They walk into the living-room and sit down. DooJoon looks around “It’s different”

“Yeah Yoonja thought it needed a change”

DooJoon nods “Your new girlfriend?”

“My wife” his dad smiles proudly

DooJoon frowns a bit “You got married?”

“Yes. Last year” his dad nods “I would have invited you but I didn’t know where you were”

DooJoon nods “Sorry”

“Don’t apologize. A lot of the things you said was… more right than I would like to admit” His dad places his hand over DooJoon’s “I’m so happy to see you”

DooJoon smiles a little “Sorry it took so long”

"Rather late than never right" He dad smiles “Listen…” His dad moves his chair a little closer “I am so sorry that I was a lousy role model. I just couldn’t stand being alone so I desperately tried to find love and doing so I didn’t see that you should have been enough and I didn’t give you the attention you needed. When you left for good I missed you more than I had ever missed a companion. You are my son and I love you and I’m so sorry about how blind I was”

DooJoon looks down at the table “I was pretty blind myself. For a long time”

“You haven’t found a sweet girl to settle down with have you?”

“No” DooJoon looks at his dad “I thought I didn’t need anyone so I've... Well I'm not really someone to be proud of in that sense. I just hurt a lot of girls without realizing that I was doing just that”

His dad looks down

“But…” DooJoon clears his throat “I recently fell in love”

His dad lights up in a smile

“With a guy” DooJoon mumbles and frowns looking down at the table shamefully playing with his fingers

“Oh” his dad frowns and thinks it over “You…” he tilts his head “You are gay… Okay” he nods and smiles “If that makes you happy”

“He works at L.I.F.E. as well” DooJoon mumbles and scratches his neck

His dad nods “Well… tell me about him”

DooJoon looks up at his dad and nods “Okay…” he leans his arms on the table “His name is Uruha and he is an entertainer, he liked me for a year but I was just too blind to see how much I actually liked him. He always looked out for me even though I didn’t deserve it and even though I have been playing girls in front of him and hurt him badly he still cares for me. If angels walk on earth he would be one” DooJoon smiles shyly and lowers his head

His dad places a hand on his head and ruffles the hair of his grown son a bit “Sounds wonderful”

DooJoon nods and looks up “If only he would be with me I would be the happiest person in the world”

His dad frowns

“He wants me to figure out who I am before being with me” DooJoon looks at his dad “He is the only one who keeps believing in me no matter what happens. I don't know what I would do without him. He just.. Don't want to be with me yet”

His dad smiles a little and nods “Well you know me. I’m a romantic all the way through. Love will win”

DooJoon smiles “Yeah you always said that. I thought it was crap” He looks down at the table “Now I wish I could believe it”

“You’ll get him” his dad smiles

“I’m trying” DooJoon sighs “But it’s hard”

“Love isn’t supposed to be easy. Look at me DooJoon”

DooJoon looks at him again

“It’s gonna work out”

DooJoon smiles “Thanks. He said he’ll wait for me. I’m not sure it is fair to him”

“That is his choice” His dad nods and smiles “Now do you have a picture of my future son in law?” he smirks

DooJoon laughs and leans back crossing his arms

“Come on I wanna see the guy!” his dad keeps smirking.

DooJoon grins and finds his phone. He shows his dad the photo he uses as his background. It shows him, Uruha, Ruki and Aoi posing confidently. It was taken a while back before everything happened.

“This is the people working the stage” he points at the photo “Ruki is the short one and the dark haired one is Aoi and that… is Uruha”

“Damn. That is a good looking man” his dad mumbles and DooJoon laughs “Yeah he is. The photo hardly do him justice though”

His dad looks at his son smiling happily. He honestly didn’t know what would become of DooJoon. He was always a very popular kid but he had his problems and it was impossible to figure out what went on in his head, especially after his mother left.

He sighs thinking back on her. He was so madly in love with DooJoon’s mother and he knew she was having an affair with her boss but he didn’t say anything. Then one day she said she was gonna leave him for her boss. She had the nerves to say she didn’t want to bring DooJoon because her new man didn’t want a child.

DooJoon had heard her and ran up to his room slamming the door.

DooJoon's dad had told DooJoon’s mother to go up and talk to him but she said she couldn’t and then she left. She didn’t even say goodbye to her son. DooJoon was 7 when she left.

He places a hand on his son’s back and smiles. Having him coming back is about the best thing that has ever happened to him and then he can live with him being gay.

There is a noise from the entrance which makes them both look up.

“It must be YoonJa” DooJoon’s dad stands up “YoonJa you’ll never guess who dropped by!” he calls out and puts a hand on DooJoon’s shoulder.

“Who honey?” a middle-aged woman comes out in the kitchen and smiles sweetly.

“DooJoon” his dad proudly squeezes DooJoon’s shoulder

“Oh DooJoon” YoonJa smiles. DooJoon stands up and bows but she just walks over and gives him a hug “You dad told me so much about you” She steps back and looks at him “Yah you really are handsome. You dad said you were”

DooJoon smiles shyly and looks at his dad.

“Oh and look, this is his colleagues. He is the DJ at L.I.F.E.” DooJoon’s dad hands over the phone “That one is gonna be his boyfriend” he chuckles and points. DooJoon blushes and waves a hand

“Yah such handsome boys. You look good together” she smiles at DooJoon who rubs his neck and looks away.

His dad just keeps smiling proudly with an arm around DooJoon’s shoulder

“You have to stay and eat and tell us everything about yourself” YoonJa takes one of DooJoon’s hands “My kids are coming, they are about your age and they have told us about L.I.F.E. I think they would be thrilled to meet you”

DooJoon frowns “You don’t have daughters do you?”

“One” YoonJa smiles

DooJoon smiles nervously and his dad starts laughing “Oh DooJoon” he shakes him by the shoulder “Let’s sit and you can tell us more”

“I rather hear what happened here” DooJoon mumbles and smiles happy to be back and for the open arms he has been met with.