The Song of Promise

We Can Meet In Dreams

 

That day was quite windy and gloomy; just like the seven-year-old Kazuha who was crying silently, far away from other’s view. She kept repeating the scene inside her head that just happened, when her very own mother revealed to her that she wanted to leave her there, in the orphanage home forever.

At first, she was pushed to believe that her mother was not leaving her there for good. She did that so that she can find a job, at least, that was what Kazuha believe. However, her nightmare comes true, and happened in front of her own eyes. Kazuha was never really in a good term with her mother, as she was raised by her grandparents. Their sudden death shocked her and forcing her unwilling mother to take care of her.

Her father never exists in her own life to begin with and that leads Kazuha to believe that her mother hates her for that reason. Unknown to her, her only friend in the orphanage, Yuya found her. The eight-year-old boy embraced Kazuha’s back, as he could not stand the view in front of him.

It saddens him to see Kazuha crying although he did not figure out the reason behind her sadness.

“Onii-chan…”, she weakly called him.

“Yes, Kazuha-chan?”

“I have a bad dream…”, she told him.

“A nightmare?”, Yuya softly asked her.

She nodded silently. He let go of her and sat beside her. He wiped her streaming tears and started to sing…

“Yume de moshi aetara suteki na koto ne

Anata ni aeru made nemuritsuzuketai”

(Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could meet in our dreams?

I want to keep sleeping until I meet you)

Kazuha instantly stop crying. Slowly, she snakes her hands to embrace Yuya and he gladly accept it.

“Anata wa watashi kara tooku hanarete iru kedo

Aitaku nattara mabuta wo tojiru no”

(You’re far away from me

But when I miss you, I close my eyes)

She closed her eyes, listening to his soothing voice intently. She loved his voice and the song itself.

“Yume de moshi aetara suteki na koto ne

Anata ni aeru made nemuritsuzuketai”

(Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could meet in our dreams?

I want to keep sleeping until I meet you)

He caressed her soft chubby cheeks and continues to look at you lovingly.

“Usu murasaki iro a fukai nemuri ni ochikomu

Watashi wa kakedae anata wo sagaeru”

(I fall into a deep, pale, purple sleep

I run, looking for you)

With that, she fell asleep in Yuya’s arm.

“Yume de moshi aetara suteki na koto ne

Anata ni aeru made nemuritsuzuketai”

(Wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could meet in our dreams?

I want to keep sleeping until I meet you)

He ends his song when he realized that Kazuha were now sleeping in his arm. He carefully tightens his embrace and forwarding his face to meet hers with a simple peck on her lips. She twitched a little before resuming her peaceful sleep.

“Kazu-chan, I promise you that you will never encounter any bad dreams forever.”