Empire State (P1)

Noticed

YOUR POV:

I can believe it! I survived! At least for 3 months I’m here, survived. Whoosh! Time, does flies.

So, I felt like Korea is part of my home now. Mom’s just fine with her work and me, getting the school better with Yong Guk. He’s a good friend though.

Mom mentioned last night that my cousin will come over from USA. He’ll arrive this afternoon. Mom said that my cousin transferred here, so my mom decided to ‘adopt’ him. Oh, and mom didn’t mention it was …

A guy…

And I found out, it was Daehyun, Jung Daehyun. My only close cousin. We lost contact since he moved to States.

“Mom, where will Daehyun stay? I mean sleep. Well, the store is the only room that’s empty, in the house.” I asked.

“Either you sleep with me and he uses your room or he’ll be your roommate? You can ch…” she smirked.

I cut in, “I’m not gonna sleep with you! Never!”

“He’ll be your roommate then. You’ve made your choice.” I just rounded my eyes. What ever will happen to me, I just pray and not to think negatives. Well, Daehyun is not what I think, right?

[A/N: I didn’t have any idea here. I mean for the airport scene, so I just skipped back home]

I remembered clearly when Daehyun followed his family to USA when he was 10. He used to be a happy kid, now he’s just a quiet guy. Yet, he dyes his hair to blonde, maybe he bleach? I can’t tell, but, he looks hot!

We head to couch watching movies on HBO. Guess what, he intends to watch Despicable Me than Twilight on Fox Movies, I’m like ‘Come on dude! Give me a break!’

It’s not awkward but we rarely talk. And I start my move.

“Daehyun-ah, which high-school that you said you’ll be in?”

“Oh, umm… _____ High School. Wae?” mom look back at me and giving good sign as for same school with him.

“Ah! Did you know which class you’ll go?” I meant asking to know more. I’m like an entertainment reporter that trying to scoop all things from a celeb.

“No.” What a short answer from him. The movie still, watch by him, and I just look at his face and out of question.

“You wanna know one thing about me when I’m at States?” he asked out of blue.

“Bo-ahni?” I asked back with a straight face. Mixed emotions this time.

“I used to call with the name Damian instead of Daehyun.” He looks at me and smirked

I was giving him this face -.-||| ‘I don’t care bro’. “Dae, I’m tired. I wanna sleep.” Rubbing my eyes.

“Let’s go to sleep then!” He sounds energetic. Why did he sound energetic?

“Oh, uh. Okay. Turn off the TV.” I walk quickly upstairs as I finish talk.

I bam myself on the bed facing the pillow. I murmured in the pillows.

“Yah, what are you doing?” he asked. He’s really getting my nerves. He always enters without knock and he even didn’t make any sound. This guy is creeping me out!

“Nothing.” Short and precise.

“Are you sure, sleeping on the floor? You can fit next to me ya’ know?! My bed is huge, queen size!” Am I promoting myself or what?

“Naah, I’m fine here. It’s more cosy.” He replied in sarcasm.

I grinned.

“Well, then, good night. Sweet dreams down there. We must get up by 6.30a.m.. If you don’t wanna be late.”

“Yeah, yeah. Good night, ____ Lee!” yes, I felt weird for him calling me with my full name.

Before I went out, I text Yong Guk.

 

To: Yong Guk

From: ____ Lee.

Hey, sorry to disturb. Mom is going to sent me to school tomorrow, so umm… you don’t have to wait for me at my house. I’ll see at school tomorrow, then.

 

My guess is right at shot! He really replied. It’s 11.45 and still not sleeping? I’m sorry; I had to lied, again. I have to, so you won’t precede more and asking to many questions… Mianhae, Yong Guk-ah.

Mom is the one asking for me to walk with Dae to school tomorrow and I have to agree to her since she’s my mom. No objections!

 

To: ____ Lee

From: Yong Guk

It’s fine. I don’t mind at all. But if you change your mind, you can call/text me! Ke ke ke~ See you at school! Goodnight, sweet dreams.

 

I smiled like a fool when I read that message from him. Later on, I let my eyes shut and fallen into my chamber of dreams.

~~~~~

Oh yes, the annoying alarm clock didn’t working this time. That weird Daehyun wakes me up. He shakes my body.

I rubbed my sleepy eyes. My eyes barely let me open and it force me to sleep back.

“Dude, what time is it?” I asked him in a sleepy mode, yawning I mean.

“It’s 7.30.” I rounded my eyes. And look back at the clock, it is 7.30. Oh crap, I’m late.

I quickly ran to my bathroom and take a Monday shower, which is a short shower.

“Don’t look!” I said to Daehyun. He turned around and laughs.

“Why are you laughing?” I asked him in flat tone.

“You’re one easy person to prank.” He continue his big evil laugh and I get confused.

“Actually, it’s just 6.50 in the morning and I lied to you that it’s 7.30 in the morning.” He continued. I looked back at my digital alarm clock it is 6.50am.

“But, I saw it. It’s really 7.30 am.” I give him that weird look and sat back at my bed.

“I changed it. And right after you went out from shower, I turn to the actual time. It really you, the ‘actual _____’ that I’ve known since toddler.” He smiles and he literally burst to laughing.

I have no comment about this guy. I looked down and pretend to be crying. He stops laughing at look back at me. I wiped off the fake tears with my hand and pretending sulking from his ‘stupid-lame morning prank’.

He walks towards me.

“Omo! I didn’t know I was that harsh. I’m sorry.” He tried to convince he’s totally regret of his actions.

And I didn’t realised, few tears really streaming down my cheek.

He then, pulled me closer to him and hugged me tight. Oh, I miss his brotherly hug! I hugged him back. I tip-toed myself and whispers to him. He’s a bit taller than me, but Yong Guk is the tallest boy I’ve met so far.

“I didn’t actual cry and I miss your hug!” I chuckles.

He was about to ‘scold’ me back, but when he heard ‘…miss your hug’, he didn’t realised his anger. Yet, he hugged me tighter and I placed my ear on his chest and listening to his calming heartbeat.

He released himself from the hug.

“But, I saw you crying and your tears scrolling down.” He asked in confusion.

I chuckles and smirked, “Hey, I’m good in acting. And thank you for the compliment.”

He plays with my hair and I giggles.

“We better get our breakfast now. I’m sure you’re hungry.” I said to him while tying my hair into loose ponytail.

He nodded and pout. Daehyun-ah, why are you acting so cute?

We walked downstairs with our bag. I’m taking my baby steps as I walk down for early precaution. I smelled something good. I sniff to identify the smell. I didn’t realised I became a dog this morning.

 Daehyun also sniffling at the same time and he quickly ran down the stairs as he’s the main actor of Morning Impossible instead of Mission Impossible, starring Jung Daehyun!

We sat next to each other.

“Omma, you don’t have to busy yourself like this. It’s too many.” I don’t mind of him, since he used to call my mom ‘omma’ and I call his mom the same thing. We’re like share almost everything, except under wares.

 “No, it’s fine. Eat while it’s still warm.” She smiles.

I shoved myself a ham sandwich, and I flashed back my first day here. It was chaotic. I didn’t eat a proper breakfast that day. I managed to eat a toast. But Daehyun here, it’s like dining with a king! You’re one lucky guy!

We continue eating without noticing the time. Daehyun finishes his dish and he went to the kitchen to get his morning yogurt.

Mom whispers to me.

“Does Yong Guk knows, that you’ll going to school with Dae?”

I nodded. Mom almost asking another question and I could her mind.

“I’ll be fine and he’ll be fine. Stop asking about him, and he’s not even my boyfriend!” I nearly raised my voice.

Daehyun walks from the kitchen and misheard about it.

“OMO! YOU. HAVE. A. BOYFRIEND?!” He looked in shock.

I didn’t have any word to reply.

“Congrats!” He greets. Facepalm! x1000 *dush-dush-dush*

I changed topic, “Let’s go. Don’t wanna be late.”

Mom did the ‘shoo’ hand movement. Is she throwing us away?

We waved our goodbyes and walk together to school.

Yong Guk’s POV:

I planned to walk with _____ this morning, but then I remembered last night. I lightly sighed. Well, her mom seems caring about her only daughter, I mean child.

I walked alone this morning. And I arrived at the school gate, she’s not there. ‘She’s on her way here, no worries Yong Guk!’ I mumbled to myself. I look at my watch there’s another half an hour before first period starts.

I walk at the hallway and went to my locker.

‘First period/hour, English with Mr. Park, second with Mrs. Edward with History, moved after break is Maths with Mr. George and lastly Geography with Miss Tracy. I’m sure today, will be a long day.’ I talked to myself while arranging the books properly.

“Who are you talking to?” asked Youngjae who suddenly popped out at my right from nowhere.

“Nobody.” I replied back.

“Cheer up man! We have our first class in another 10 minutes. Let’s go!” Youngjae sounds cherish.

I walked behind him and head to our class.

I look around, and _____ still not here. Where is she? I hope she’s not late. I continue my moves to my place.

Oh, crap! Teacher’s here and _____ is not here yet. She’s not causing any trouble right? I bet she’ll be so regret when she gets her first detention slip.

A knock on the door, the class turns as quiet as you are at the graveyard. Everybody look and waiting who’s behind the door.

“Yes, come in.” Mr. Park commands.

The door turns slowly, it was _____. She walks in with an unfamiliar student. She’s not alone, who’s that? Who’s that guy that walking with her? Is that, her boyfriend?

“Where have you been and why are you late?” Mr. Park asked in anger. He’s in an unsteady mood.

She smiles and continued, “Oh, I’m not late. I was showing directions Daehyun to the office for registration.”

“Ah, Daehyun-sshi?” Mr. Park sounds like he remembered something. ______ just smiles and walk to her place.

She seems happy with that new kid.

“Before my memory starts to disappear, class we have new crew on board!” Yay, Mr. Park is happy as usual.

“Good morning” I bid to ____ and she replied with her smile. This is weird; she didn’t reply my morning talk. Is she spelled by this Daehyun kid?

The class is anticipating.

“Would you introduce yourself new crew?”

He bowed, “Annyeonghaseyo. I’m Jung Daehyun. I’m from USA. I hope we could be friends.” He flashes his smile that would make the girls screaming hysterically. So weird!

 Daehyun walks to the empty spot in front of me. Oh, this is crazy!

The class proceed as usual until its break time.

I’ve been watching this kid since he gets into the class. His schedule is 100% exactly same with _____’s. What’s he trying to do?!

“Yah, why are you like this?!” Himchan whispered to me as I’m eating alone while ‘death stare’ at _____’s table.

“I’m like this, what?” For a sudden, I felt my heart was crashed when I saw then like this.  But, I’m not telling Himchan that. His face will be like 0.o and he’ll be damn speechless.

“Aish! Seriously?! You don’t have to make it obvious, ya’ know?!”

“What do I do?” Oh, and I just love making Himchan feels so annoying about it.

“God would love me to be patience when I’m talking to someone like you. And, another fact you’re my friend, so you’re safe.” Yeah, I thought he was some kind of priest or practicing his speech. He loves to talk!

“…..”

“Dude, you’ve stared them since break time. You’ll make it obvious! You look at her like ‘Hey, I’m here, don’t you see me?’ and you stared Daehyun ‘I didn’t like you since you were here in the first place and don’t take her from me’. It’s too obvious.” He nailed his famous words, excellently.

He did well. Mimicking my face, her face and Dae’s when he explained. Their body languages and how do I speak. And that’s not how I sound like. I’m the only one like this! It’s unique bro!

“Is it?” I asked him back for confirmation.

“Yeah! If you hate it, you should tell him that. If you like her you should confess before everything gets too late, and your heart will be smashed overall by a truck driving 90m/h.” I knew Himchan just ended his physics class before break and he shouldn’t mix it with my case. I don’t think physics ya’ know?!

“Well… umm… I do like her. But I don’t think she would think the same as mine. It’ll be a huge humiliation for me.” It’s kinda weird, I stopped my sentence there and Himchan give his best focus by listening to me.

“So, when will you confess to her?  Tomorrow? Next week? Next month? Or after the Graduation?” Himchan can you just stay like this forever. Be a romantic love doctor than being a school flirty playboy, Will you?

“….”

“….”

“Umm … I’ll think about it.”

YOUR POV:

Ah~ Maths time! Yeah, I know maths but it’s not my favourite but still, I can’t answer well maths questions.

I noticed that Yong Guk’s will be the same class with me today. I sat with Daehyun since morning so; we’re like far away today.

Mr. George is teaching, and I’m looking at Yong Guk. It’s really weird. He usually made faces when he noticed I’m looking, but this time, nothing!

I heard Mr. George talking about the ‘pie’ thing with squares and all. When he asked, do you understand, we all answered back harmonized “Yes, teacher!” One thing is, Yong Guk hates maths, and how could he focus this time? Like, really focus!

Yeah, and it’s been morning I didn’t talk to him. Did I do any wrong to him? I need a clue.

Until, the class was moved on with Geography.

Himchan finally entered the class. He made the ‘hold on’ hand sign. I confused now. He walked slowly to my table and sticks the sticky note on my table and ran to Yong Guk’s.

Hey sweetheart!

I think you really noticed how he acts today. I can feel that guilty feelings too! Don’t hold that feeling for a period, you’ll hurt. I’ll tell you soon.

Himchan, xoxo.

I looked back at Himchan and nodded.

Teacher enters and the class has begun. Miss Tracy only made some revision today. She made us read few pages and it’s quite boring with the noisy kids.

Guess what, an announcement was made.

“To all teachers, please gather at the meeting room on 2nd floor now. Thank you.” Headmaster speaks.

“You’re welcome~” some students answered back in chorus.

“Class, I need you to do your work done. As you heard, I need to go now. Passed up your books when you’re done.” She walks out.

YONG GUK’S POV:

It’s kinda weird for the teachers to be gathered at the meeting room by now. The day’s almost ends! Why can’t they just proceed after the school hours? Such disturbing.

I peeped to my right, to watch ______, as she done her work. Daehyun is having his ICT class with Youngjae the nerd. ‘Haha, they could be a good couple! DaeJae moment!’ I talked to myself.

I hand out my phone and place it in front of me. It’s just a habit.

“Hyung, can I borrow your phone?” Himchan asked and break my thoughts.

“Wae? Where’s your phone?” I asked him back.

“The battery’s dead. I need to text appa something urgent. Please~” he intends to use his scary aegyo when I gave him death stare.

“Make it fast.”

“Gomawo~” he replied in melody.

HIMCHAN’S POV:                                                               [A/N: a special part for dearest Himchan]

He wouldn’t know my plan. Soon, he’ll thank me for this.

I grabbed Guk’s phone as he go out to the toilet.

“Meet me t the rooftop by school ends. I’ll wait.” And I press that send button to _____.

I look back at her. She was doing her work and freeze. She took out her phone and read it. She looks like almost scream of joy. She looks to her left and look outside.

I really smiled like a fool.

ETA 3 mins for Miss Tracy to be back to the class before school finishes. I concentrate on the piece of work and look at the watch.

“7...6…5…4…3…2…1 school’s over! I yelled and the bell rang right after I yelled.

The class went pretty chaotic when it’s over. I pack my stuff and look over _____; she’s still packing her stuff. “I just leave Yong Guk’s phone in his drawer. He’ll notice it.” I talk to his stuff.

I ran out and went to the end of the corridor’s stairs which leads to the rooftop. I went up there and wait for _____. It’s really calming up here. The air breeze made me feel free like a bird.

My mind made a recall. I forgot to delete the text that I’ve sent to ____-ah. If he finds out, I’ll be dukkbogi. If he didn’t know about this, my life line still on the rope.

I waited for like 10mins and no sign of her yet. I put my bag down and went closer to the edge of the roof and looked down. “Oh, it’s really high!” I hold my breath and close my eyes. Soon I heard footsteps.

“Yong Guk-ah? Where are you?” she’s calling for Gukkie. I hid behind the walls and watch her. I made my steps and walk closer to her.

“Hey.” I placed my hand on her shoulder which made her startled.

She turns and makes herself facing me. She still in shock but mostly look confused.

I try to hold my laugh seeing her face at this moment.

“Wh…whe…where’s Yong … Yong Guk?” she talks stutter this time.

“I, Kim Himchan, hereby representing Bang Yong Guk to talk to you, as a request, well not-so-request, I have something to ask to this lovely princess.” I bowed and took her hand.

“Oh… okk … okay then.” She still in scared. Should I comfort her? Neh, Gukkie will be mad if he knows.

 “As you can see …” I start my story and let her sat on the chair next to mine.

“… since Daehyun came to the class this morning, Yong Guk doesn’t look happy at all. He, well, felt it was just his feelings, but it was true. He saw you were tender-hearted with him. And he thought that you already thought he did never exist in your life, well you didn’t talk to him or being irritating students …”

“That guy, know nothing about Daehyun.” She raised her voice and making the story in paused mode.

I continued.

“… oh and he thinks that Dae is … is your … your boyfriend.” I stopped.

She laugh out loud hen she heard me talk the last line. Is it that funny for her? I looked at her. Laughing and cover her red blushed face with her hands. And she still, laughing.

“Are you okay?” I asked her, if there’s something wrong.

“Y…yeah. I’m fine.” She replied back.

She talks back, “Who said Daehyun was my boyfriend? Him? As my boyfriend? You gotta be kidding me! He’s just a friend, more than a friend, he’s my cousin.” She nailed it.

“Cousin? But you guys were so close like having a special affair…” she stopped me before I could continue, “Yah! You !” she raise her fist and almost knock me in the face.

“We lost contact when he was in US. Then, my mom told me that she’ll ‘adopt’ a transferred student, which is him. When I met him back, it’s relieving. I finally met him, again…” BLA BLA BLA! She keeps on with the story and ends it well.

“So, you guys just cousin, not more than that?” I asked back as confirmation.

“Yes. He’s like my twin from another mother.” She smiled.

“Oh, and Yong Guk had confess to me that he likes you. And when he saw you with Dae, his heart were scattered to million pieces.” She rounded her eyes and just look at me.

She slowly realizes, and starts to blush.

“Look at the time! Goodness! I need to go now. See you tomorrow.” I leave her in blushing mode.

I walk down and felt relieve of this. Even though, Yong Guk is the one that like _____, he should thank me for this. I walk out from school and get my tracks right to get home.

 


Reading, comments, critisms and subscribers are welcomed ;)