Love is better the second time around

Love is better the second time around

“Are you sure you are feeling ok, Kyuhyun?”

“I am, sir. I must have caught a really strong bug.”

“You still sound very sick. Go to the doctor again today.”

“I will, sir.”

After ending the mentally draining call with his company director, the only thing he hungers for is his bed. Unfortunately, his daily session of morning sickness starts right about now. He made a mad dash to his bathroom as he felt the familiar upsurge feeling in his throat. 

Every muscle and every nerve in his body strained as he upchuck the contents of his digestive system. There really isn’t much in there so he was vomiting bile and eventually just dry-retching. With his face in his toilet bowl, his body shaking uncontrollably, he couldn’t help feeling sorry for his miserable state. And with self-pity came angry tears. And realizing that he has drool and vomit and mucus all over his face made him angrier with the world. 

“I don’t want you!” He yelled down at his stomach, directing all his frustrations at his unborn child. “You brought me nothing but heartaches!” He cried angrily. In a moment of fury he raised his fist and began raining punches on his stomach. The first blow was enough to make his world light up with bright stars but he went on determined to end the life within. 

But his baby is equally determined to survive. Even as he finally got off the bathroom floor after lying on it in pain and fading in and out of consciousness for the past how long, he is pretty sure he still has not lost it. 

He drag himself out of the bathroom and back to his bed. Pulling his legs to his chest, he lay fetal, hugging himself tightly. Amidst the confusion in his mind, he began toying with the idea of calling his ex-lover and letting him know that he is pregnant with their child. He is sure that Mi will not hesitate to return to his side.

No, I won’t do this. A relationship held together only by a child will be too fragile to weather any storms.

“Hey baby,” he whispered as he his tummy tenderly. “I’m sorry for taking it out on you earlier. 

“I still love you…..” 

@  

With renewed resolve Kyuhyun returned to work with even more devotion. He needs to forget about his past, and he needs to earn enough to indulge his child with everything under the sun. 

“It’s good to see you back at work again, Kyuhyun.”

“Thank you sir.”

“You still look abit green around the gills.”

“Don’t worry sir, I will not allow my work performance to be compromised.”

“Good, good. As you know we have a couple of high rise projects going on now. I would like to entrust you with one of them.”

“I will not disappoint, sir.” 

Cho Kyuhyun is an outstanding architect in his own right. As he walked into his tiny office, the various medals he won caught his eye. He felt a pang of sadness as he sat down. 

So these are all I have left?

Oh no, wait a second….I have the birth of my child to look forward to….

With this realization, he is able to smile again. 

His intercom buzzed. “Kyuhyun, your ten thirty appointment is here.” 

The civil engineer for Project #1013 is shown into his room. Kyuhyun stood up to welcome him as the man strode in. In a dark blue suit and beautiful bespoke leather shoes, he struck a note of familiarity. 

“Hello. I’m Choi Siwon.”

“Please have a seat.” 

As the man sat down, his brows furrowed thoughtfully for a moment before his memory served him. “Are you feeling better now?” 

Kyuhyun blinked, not understanding the question. Staring at the face again, he finally remembered. “Yes, I am. Thank you for asking.” He replied politely. “And thank you for saving me that day.”

“That’s good.” Siwon remarked sincerely, dimples deepening.  Kyuhyun’s heart skipped a beat at his boyish grin. 

As the meeting progressed, it became obvious that Siwon deserves the recognition he gets for being one of the best engineer in the industry. His brows pinched in total concentration as he listens and takes detailed notes. Kyuhyun, on the other hand, was mostly distracted by the tiny tweaks and tugs on the other’s face. 

“Wow, look at the time!” Siwon exclaimed pulling his brows up high, when they finally complete the discussion. Kyuhyun glanced at his wristwatch curiously. “No wonder my stomach is gro ~” A loud growl interrupted him and Kyuhyun blushed fiercely. 

“Both of our stomachs are growling.” Siwon joked good-naturedly to save the smaller man from embarrassment. “Would you like to join me for lunch?” 

“S-sure….” Kyuhyun stammers unable to raise his eyes to meet his. 

The Siwon outside of work is a total opposite. He bantered effortlessly and laughs at his own jokes, A total opposite from him, Kyuhyun remained silent as he listens enraptured, staring rather blatantly at the man before him with an abnormal amount of interest. 

“So, are you attached?” Siwon asks casually, face filled with anticipation, lips twisted into a rather shy smile. He saw the younger man flinched silently. “I mean, a guy with looks like yours, I’m sure you had your pick of the best.”

It’s Kyuhyun’s turn to blush and he did it with severe intensity, lowering his head as the food before him suddenly caught all his attention. Siwon knows better than to pry further so he changed the subject quickly and got his lunch partner’s attention back almost effortlessly. 

“Hey Siwon, how did the meeting go?” 

“Very well, very very well.” He grinned. 

“That’s great! I’ll take over from here then.” 

“Erm, nope, Hyukkie. I’ll handle this one personally.” 

“What? But why?” 

“Let’s just say I have a personal agenda.” He said with a wink at his assistant. Hyukkie, or Hyukjae as he’s known formally, stared for a second longer before he grew a gummy grin of his own. His eyes flashed with wicked teasing. 

“Oh ho, I see. So…..What’s the lucky lady’s name? She must be a real look ~” 

“Mind your own business.” Siwon said good-naturedly but something in his voice halted any further questions. 

Heechul, his other assistant drinking buddy, however got the story served to him on a silver platter. And he, being him, chortles and teased mercilessly. 

“Are you sure you aren’t just feeling pity for the poor creature?” Heechul asked once he has calmed down sufficiently. 

“N-no…..at least….I don’t think so…..no…..” Siwon toyed with the new suggestion a couple of times. “No, no, I’m sure it’s love at first sight.” 

“You big cheese.” Heechul rolled his eyes in mock frustrations. “He must be very beautiful.” 

“He is! He has the palest glowing complexion, his body lithe and his limbs so perfectly toned and his fingers……they are so long and slender….. silkiest hair you ever seen. His smile is so open and free and shy, childlike, gladdens your heart, makes you want to smile along with him. And his eyes….so doelike…..so fill of vulnerability….” 

“You are so smitten, my friend.” Heechul sighed in mock sadness. “Well, in that case, I’ll have to lend you a hand.” 

“You? Why?” 

“Because obviously you are not able to.” Heechul rolled his eyes again at the stupidity of the man before him. “I shall pry all his secrets loose for you and also tell him you have fallen head over heels in love with him.” 

Siwon gasped in shock, his face twisted with worry but Heechul will not listen once he has a plan. ‘When’s your next meeting with Beauty?” he asks eagerly.