Love is better the second time around

Love is better the second time around

Kyuhyun glanced at Siwon, feeling the older man squeeze his hand under the table. His eyes wide with worry but when he saw Siwon smiling encouragingly at him, he smiled back weakly.

The restaurant is chosen because it has a private dining room to cater to large parties. It will provide the privacy they need for today’s meeting.

Siwon gave the clammy hand he is holding another comforting squeeze as the door to the room opens and three men stalked in wearing blank expressions on their faces. Siwon jumped onto his feet in record time followed unsurely by Kyuhyun.

Hyung.” Kyuhyun bleated rather uneasily.

“Jungsu-ssi, Kangin-ssi, Ryeowook-ssi.” Siwon bowed respectfully as they took their seats.

“No need for formalities.” Jungsu said, his voice firm but warm.

The door opened again and Siwon’s parents and Jongwoon entered. Their smiles warmed up the room. Even Kyuhyun could not help reciprocating with one of his own.

Formal introductions are made as both parties sat down on either side of the table.

“Thank you for making the trip back. It must have been very tiring for you.” Siwon’s father said to Jungsu.

“It’s tiring.” Jungsu agrees. “But it’s an important occasion, there is no reason good enough to keep me away.”

Mr Choi nodded appreciatively. “I can see where Kyuhyun learnt his good manners. You have brought him up well despite not being related in blood.”

“No, no, you are very kind to tolerate the bad upbringing of my namdongsaeng.” Jungsu replied humbly.

Both elders glanced at Kyuhyun seated at the end of the table with his head lowered appropriately. They exchanged a look and smiled.

Discussion of the wedding begins formally and went on amicably. Both Siwon and Kyuhyun sat meekly as the adults of their respective families made a number of quick decisions.

“I must apologise that I will be absent during the period of the wedding preparations. I leave my brothers to do the grunt work but they are afterall inexperienced. I must trouble you to help set them straight whenever necessary.” Jungsu said politely to his soon to be in laws.

“Don’t worry, we’ll do our best.” Mr Choi replied with a polite smile of his own.

With the discussion coming to an end, lunch is served and Ryeowook excused himself for a trip to the men’s room.

“Excuse me.” Jongwoon said suddenly and left the room hurriedly.

Ryeowook came out of the toilet cubicle and nearly got a fright of his life. Siwon’s brother is standing by the sink grinning at him.

A pair of goofball brothers. Ryeowook thought irritably as he washed his hands.

“Are you attached?” Jongwoon asks abruptly.

“I beg your pardon?” Ryeowook asks with his brows furrowing unpleasantly.

“Do you have someone in your life now?” Jongwoon decides to rephrase his words seeing that the man he is talking to is not understanding him.

“No.” Despite himself, Ryeowook still answered honestly to his own surprise.

Jongwoon’s face lit up at lightning speed. “Do you want to meet my turtles? They are my children…and I am looking for a mother for them….and they are really cute….and ~”

“Are you on drugs?” Ryeowook interrupts impatiently.

"W-what? Drugs? NO! That’s disgusting! They harm your body and the brain functions and ~”

Ryeowook is struggling with the urge to punch the blabbering fool in front of him. Of course that would not be a clever move considering that his maknae is going to marry into their family. Oh why did my maknae fall for a goofball!? Ryeowook winced.

“Excuse me.” Ryeowook said through gritted teeth as he tries to push past the still talking Jongwoon.

“Wh-what?! No, wait wait!” Jongwoon tried to stop him from leaving.

“What now?”

“When would you like to meet my turtles?” Jongwoon asks brightly.

“Look, I like giraffes, not turtles.” Ryeowook sighed. “Sorry.”

Jongwoon’s face fell for a moment before it brightens again. “We are both animal lovers! We have similar interests!”

“What are you talking about!?” Ryeowook is getting agitated as he glared at the man.

“Has anyone ever told you how beautiful your eyes are?” Jongwoon asks with lovelorn eyes.

“Wh-what!?” Ryeowook blushed and spluttered.

“And your smile.” Jongwoon continues. “It’s love at first sight. Will you be mine?”

Ryeowook stared speechlessly, his jaw slightly agape.

“Will you marry me?”

That woke Ryeowook up right away. “Look, bud. Firstly, we are going to be in laws. Secondly, we have nothing in common. Thirdly, we don’t even live in the same country. Fourthly ~”

Ryeowook’s angry outburst is cut short by Jongwoon’s lips pressed tightly against his. His eyes widened in true shock but it did not occur to him to push the perpetrator away.

His lips are so sweet. Jongwoon mused as he deepens his kiss.

Oh.my.god……he’s kissing me! Ryeowook panicked.

Kyuhyun smiled at Siwon as his soon to be husband adds a piece of kimbap to his plate but his eyes are quickly attracted to the opening door. Ryeowook strode in with a confused air around him. His face is slightly paler than usual and his lips looked swollen. Jongwoon followed close at his heels looking like the cat that ate the canary.

Did something happen? Kyuhyun wonders worriedly.

“What’s wrong, baby?” Siwon bends close to ask seeing that his beautiful bride to be has suddenly taken on a worrisome look.

Kyuhyun shook his head and smiles at him before taking a bite out of the piece of kimbap.

@

“Finally!!!” Siwon exclaimed happily as he falls back onto the soft covers of their new king-sized bed. Raising his arms above his head, he wiggled his hips to loosen the tension in his lower back.

“You must be tired, Wonnie.” Kyuhyun remarked lightly from where he is kneeling by the closet folding their wedding hanboks.

“Leave them be, baby. I’ll help you with them later.” Siwon said. “Come and lie here next to me. You need a rest too!” He pats the empty space next to himself.

Kyuhyun took a last longing look at his half-done task before standing up and approaching the bed. Siwon grabbed his wrist and pull him down next to him. Kyuhyun giggled as his new husband took him snugly into his arms.

They lay side by side in silence for a while, staring at their new bedroom ceiling. They can’t help recalling the mad rush to move into their new home and prepare for the traditional wedding ceremony. Somehow Siwon managed, without stressing Kyuhyun too much in the process. And now they have completed their traditional wedding rites; another load off the big man’s shoulder.

“So, my dear wife, are you feeling as happy as I am now?” Siwon asks nuzzling the curls under his chin playfully.

“Ahuh.” Kyuhyun replied so softly he could hardly be heard. And who can blame him, a man now in complete bliss and blushing shyly like a young bride should.

“I can’t believe it, we are finally together….after going through so much.” Siwon mutters absently. “Finally I can tell the whole world you are mine forever.”

“……” Kyuhyun murmurs inaudibly as he snuggled closer.

Suddenly Siwon sat up and stare into Kyuhyun’s eyes. “You are not going to regret marrying me, are you?” He asks horrified at the thought. Kyuhyun’s jaw dropped in shock before realisation hits him.

They are not legally married in the eyes of the Korean law, and they never will.

“Of course not, silly.” He giggled. Siwon chuckled nervously with him.

“I’m having post marriage anxiety.”

“Silly Wonnie.” Kyuhyun remarked with a tender smile as he Siwon’s cheek lovingly. Siwon pull the hand gently away from his cheek and kiss the warmth of the palm.

“Let’s grab some dinner before we start the packing.” Siwon suggests. He could see that Kyuhyun is exhausted from the wedding ceremony and reception. He is secretly hoping that a full stomach will put him to sleep quickly so he will not stubbornly stay up to labor on with the unfinished tasks.

Choi Siwon, you are a sneaky one. Siwon chuckled silently as he led his new wife out of the door in search of food.

True enough, after dinner, Kyuhyun was easily persuaded to take a nap and by the time he woke up, it is already dawn! He panicked, wanting to jump out of bed and pack their bags before their flight but Siwon has an arm around his waist pining him down. Reluctant to wake his husband up, he tried wiggling his way out of his embrace.

“Stop moving….” Siwon mutters sleepily.

“But I need to pack the bags.” Kyuhyun whispers so as not to startle the man next to him.

“They…are done.” Siwon mutters back.

Kyuhyun strained his neck to look around the room and indeed 3 luggage are standing by the door. He couldn’t be more grateful to his understanding mate.

“Thank you, you are the best.” He whispers, moving closer to peck a kiss on the tip of the sleeping man’s nose and that’s how he was caught off-guard by the hand over his waist flying up to capture his neck, cradling the back of his head and pressing him close till their lips met.

“Good morning, baby.” Siwon greeted huskily when they pull away for oxygen.

“Good morning, Wonnie.” Kyuhyun giggled as the man neared and began nuzzling his neck.

“We still have time for a quickie before the flight.” Siwon whispers harshly and nip the fleshy rim of his wife’s ear causing him to yelp in surprise.

“You sure?” Kyuhyun asks uncertainly.

“Couldn’t be surer.” Siwon smirked as he press the smaller man down and began undressing him. “I need my breakfast, babe.” He declares with a naughty smirk as he took Kyuhyun’s hardening member between his lips.

@

“Everyone’s waiting for you!” Mr Choi chided when Siwon and Kyuhyun finally appeared running and completely out of breath with their luggage in tour. Siwon apologised with a large grin while Kyuhyun looked truly remorseful with his head lowered.

“They are newly married, they have ‘things’ to attend to, dear.” Mrs Choi tittered knowingly. Siwon’s widen grin and Kyuhyun’s furious blushing confirmed her statement.

“Hmmph…..at least our son in law had the decency to look apologetic. Look at our son.” Mr Choi grumbled glaring at his son with his idiotic grin.

“Where’s hyung?” Siwon asks instead.

“He went to the bathroom half an hour ago. Probably wondering around the airport lost again.” Mr Choi replied. “We better go find him. We’ll go this way; you and Kyuhyun go that way.”

“Ok, dad.” Siwon replied, “Let’s go, babe.”

Siwon and Kyuhyun wondered around the crowded airport looking for a familiar figure, Kyuhyun keeping an eye on the watch so that they won’t miss their flight.

“Oh, there’s Jungsu hyung!” Kyuhyun remarked seeing Jungsu sitting alone with his head dipped looking at something he is holding low on his lap.

“You go get him, babe. I’ll continue the search alone. We’ll meet at the departure gate later.” Siwon said, knowing how much Kyuhyun missed his hyung and want to spend time with him. Kyuhyun’s face lit up at his husband’s considerate nature.

“Thank you, Wonnie.” He said and ran off to Jungsu’s side. Siwon stood watching them for a moment before walking away.

Kyuhyun approached the man sitting alone on the plastic bench. As he nears he could see that Jungsu is looking through the images in the camera he has taken during their wedding reception the day before. And presently he is lingering on a shot of Siwon and Kyuhyun dressed in their wedding hanboks kneeling together as they posed for one of the hundreds wedding shots taken by over-enthusiastic well-wishers.

Hyung?” Kyuhyun called out as he went round to the front to face Jungsu and sit down next to him.

“Kyu? What are you doing here?” Jungsu put away the camera hurriedly.

“Thank you so much, hyung.” Kyuhyun said with large misty eyes. His unfallen tears and threatening to fall.

Jungsu pursed his lips as he studies his maknae silently. At last he sighed and nodded. “As long as you believe you will be happy married to Siwon.” He said with a trace of resignation.

Hyung ~”

“You are all grown up now, we can no longer dictate your every action.” Jungsu said suddenly looking older than he really are. “How I wish we can protect and shield you from everything unpleasant forever but ~”

“Please stop blaming yourself for not protecting me from Zhou Mi and getting pregnant and losing the baby.” Kyuhyun said sadly. It hurts to bring up those memories again but for his hyung, he will do anything.

“You shouldn’t have to go through all that! I shouldn’t have left you all alone here. I could practice medicine anywhere, why the hell did I leave you here and go to Africa!?” Jungsu became agitated as his anger surged, his face reddened with so much guilt and self anger.

Hyung, please ~” Kyuhyun pleaded, heart breaking and tears falling freely. He grabbed one of Jungsu’s shaking hand. “It’s not your fault that you can’t protect me. I made those mistakes.” Jungsu look at his maknae sadly. “But now I have Siwon. He’s the best thing ever to happen to me. I’m sure I will be happy from now on.”

Jungsu remained silent as he ponders on Kyuhyun’s words. Then he look at the keenness in his maknae’s eyes, the joyful blush dusting his cheeks; and he finally relented.

“I believe you.” Jungsu said. “But remember this, no matter what happens in future, we will always be the place you can come back to for unconditional love and shelter.”

Hyung, thank you!” Moved, Kyuhyun flung his arms around his eldest brother and begins to weep. “Thank you!”

Jungsu wraps his arms around the sob-racked body and hugged it tightly. Just like the old days…..He mused, smiling a little.

“Flight 113 to San Francisco is now ready for boarding. All passengers please proceed to Gate 6B.”

“That’s our flight, let’s go.” Jungsu pats Kyuhyun gently on the back. “Can’t miss out your own wedding, can you?”

@

The church Siwon chosen was perfect. Ancient, rustic, and quiet. Only 6 wedding guests are in attendance as Kyuhyun walked down the rose petals covered aisle towards a beaming Siwon waiting for him at the altar.

Both are in white suits, Siwon spotting a bowtie while his bride wears a thin tie. A corsage of fresh orchids adorned their lapels. As Siwon watched with his heart feeling like it is going to burst from too much joy, Kyuhyun approached, hands clasped before him trembling lightly from nervousness.

At last close enough, Siwon reached out with his hand and Kyuhyun took it as he walked the last few steps to the altar. They exchanged blissful smiles before turning to the minister. As the elderly man began droning his standard text, the couple exchanged surreptitious glances and smiles.

Everyone present that day will remember the moment of eternity when the two boys vowed to stay true to each other; and the kiss they shared to seal their promise. But most of all, they will not forget the look of ultimate happiness etched on both of their faces.