I just knew that...

I fall inlove with my brother? A-W-K-W-A-R-D.

“Thanks for the meal.” I said, clearing up the dishes after our dinner end. It was a warm dinner. A family dinner that I have longed for. Mum reached home and join us soon after. We talked and laughed together.  Appa was telling his childhood story living in a small village. And mum was talking about her patient at the hospital.    

                After that, Dongwoon showed me my room. “You can use my room. I’ll sleep at the other room next to yours.” He said, without looking at me.        

                I looked around the room, and there’s a picture frame hanging on the wall. Dongwoon and appa. I just realized that they have the same pointy nose.

                 But then, it just hit me. How old is he? I looked at Dongwoon. “Hey,” I called out, still feeling awkward. “Ho-how old are you?” my voice shaking. 

“20. Why?” he answered, still not looking at me, while making the bed. 

What? 20? How can that be? Mum just left a year ago with appa. And she was not pregnant at that time. This doesn’t make any sense. I thought.

 

 “Why ask?” Dongwoon finally turned to me, putting a curious look.

 

“Ani... I’m just wondering.” I said. Should I ask him? Then I decided to question him, “Are you really my mum’s son? I mean, like, did she give birth to you?

“Huh?” he chuckled, “I thought that you’re smart enough. You just realize it by now?” 

 What have I missed here? I thought. “So?” I glanced at him, curious. 

“No she didn’t. My mum died when I was young, car accident. And my dad married your mum a year ago.” He stated out, folding his arm and stared on the floor, thinking. 

And I was like--- What?

 

Does this mean that we’re not blood connected? Suddenly, my heart was overjoyed.