Chapter 15.

You Really Never Know What You Have Until It's Gone.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunkyung's POV

[A/N: Again, I don't describe dancing very well so if you want you can use your imagination to imagine this scene with Sehun c: It may not make much sense anyway BUT it's fanfic!!]

 

Sehun squeezed my hand as we walked to the backstage area. I grasped onto his hand just as tightly, and tried to calm my breathing. “Just imagine that it’s only us, like our rehearsals.” He murmured and helped fixed my mask. I meekly nodded and hugged him to reassure myself that nothing would go wrong.

He only patted my back and whispered a few more words, “Pretend that we’re the characters in the story, it’ll feel more natural that way.”

“Alright, get into position please.” A stagehand led us to the side of the stage, just a meter away from being seen on stage. We waited for our cue, then walked onto the dark stage and stood in our respective places.

“Next performance is titled ‘In Search For The Key’, a fantasy themed dance which tells the heartbreaking story of a girl getting rejected by the man of her dreams, and realizing in the end that the one who she was destined to be with was just beside her all along.” The MC introduced our dance over the speakers and I grinned at the name of our dance. I was the one who came up with it, and I admit it did fit our dance really well. After a few seconds, the soft melody of the music began.

No matter how nervous I am right now, I have to push away those thoughts and focus on the dance and emotions. Right now, I could only see Sehun - nothing but Sehun. I let my body move to the beats, imagining that I was the girl in this story, and that the man I was chasing…was Kai. Even though the story was that I wouldn’t end up with him at the end, I couldn’t imagine anyone else in his position right now, because I have been yearning for his love for as long as I can remember now. And somehow…I knew that Kai wasn’t going to end up with me.

Oddly enough, the thought of Kai had not crossed my mind for a while now. I gazed attentively at Sehun while he did a small solo, showing his longing for my attention. While I blindly fall head over heels with ‘the wrong man’, he masks his feelings for me while staying beside me as a close friend.

It came to the point where the girl in this story faces rejection. I fell to my knees with a silent thud, not minding the sting that my bare knees felt. With the correct timing in correspondence to the music, Sehun glided over to me, lifting me up from my waist and into his arms. He gently placed me on the ground, feet first. As soon as I touch the ground, he caresses my face, as to show him comforting me. I stay motionless, and braced myself as soon as the music twisted into a more cheerful melody, because that was when Sehun dips me downwards. He did it exactly the way we had rehearsed it, smooth and gentle. Then, he started to lean towards my face.

Originally, we had planned to include something intimate during the of the dance, such as a kiss. Although I initially had thrown out the idea, it made more sense to include the gesture into our dance at this particular moment, so we quickly added it into the routine. We never rehearsed it during practice sessions because it would be awkward for us to kiss countless times, so we hoped to get it down correctly at our first try, during our performance.

I watch as his eyes beneath the mask shift to my lips, and without any delay, kisses me tenderly on the lips. Although it was a short kiss that only lasted a few seconds, I’m pretty sure the emotion put into the soft kiss was well shown, as we heard a few ‘awws’ and whistles in the audience. I smiled, glad that we had some response from the people watching, and continued to put all my effort into making the dance the best it can be. The dramatic part of the story was over, and now that the girl had realized her true feelings, the rest of the dance was more lively and pleasant to watch.

I did a few twirls and some footwork with a charming smile on my face, even though dancing in heels was a challenge for me – especially with the choreography we had. If we looked like we were enjoying the dance, we would surely earn more points. I grabbed Sehun’s hand and he gently yanked me into his arms so that he was hugging me from behind. We both move to the music in sync, our hips and arms corresponding to every move. He secretly whispered into my ear, “We’re doing great.”

I subtly nodded and continued to put everything that I had into the last scene, bracing myself for the finale. A porch swing had been lowered behind us while the audience was previously focused on our small kiss scene, so we easily drifted over to the bench and sat down, hand in hand. All it took was Sehun to squirm a bit to initiate the swinging motion, and the music faded out perfectly, just in time.

Surprisingly, we received a standing ovation from both the audience and the judges. We bowed once and left the stage with huge smiles on our faces. Even if we don’t win first place tonight, I was content with just the applause we received.
 

“Finally, we did it. I was about to collapse any minute from the pressure!!” I exclaimed and lied flat on the couch, hogging up all the space. Sehun exhaled loudly and ed his shirt more than halfway down, “I’m glad the hard part’s over.”

This time, I didn’t look away or make sarcastic remarks about his shirt. Jesus Christ, he just looked so-

“I’m going to get some water, be right back.” He turned around and headed towards the door. I scrambled to my feet and pulled him back. He looked at me questioningly.

“I..um..could you get me a bottle too please?”

He made a ‘got it’ sign with his hands and reached for the doorknob again, but I stopped him from doing so. Before I knew what I was doing, I was buttoning up his shirt up for him.

“D-Don’t go outside w-with your shirt open like t-that. Other girls might s-stare.” I muttered embarrassingly and finished with the last button, le

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter