Chapter 1.

You Really Never Know What You Have Until It's Gone.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunkyung's POV

“You’re coming later right, Eunkyung ah?”

“Yeah, of course.” I replied while randomly curling a strand of my hair behind my ear. “What time is it again?”

“Just arrive at the main ballroom at seven o’clock sharp, I’ll meet you at the entrance of the ballroom. Sorry I can’t pick you up, my car is at it’s passenger limit.” He chuckled.

“It’s alright, I’ll see you there then.” I hung up with a smile and began choosing my outfit.

I settled for a casual yet formal outfit. After applying my makeup and hair with emphasize on the eyes, I wore my boots and then called for a cab.

I don’t even know why I agreed to perform a two-minute dance routine with Kai at his university’s ten year anniversary. Having to perform in front of lots of strangers is nerve-wracking, even though I’ve done it multiple times during dance competitions. It’s a couple dance and quite intimate, but that didn’t matter since I’m so comfortable with Kai. Oh lord, the things I do for Kai. Maybe I’ve gotten too comfortable…. going as far as falling for him…

Ugh, snap out of it Eunkyung, you have to push those feelings away and dance your best tonight, don’t embarrass Kai in front of his classmates and make him regret choosing you to dance with him. But of course when it comes to performances, Kai will always choose me, as I’m his best friend and the best choice when it comes to finding a dancing partner. My phone suddenly rang and I quickly answered.

 

“Hello? ….Sehun oppa?”

“Hey Eunkyung, I heard you were attending a fancy party with Kai hyung tonight?”

I giggled softly, “Why, you want to come?” I could just imagine him shaking his head and rolling his eyes at me.

“No silly, just wanted to ask if anyone is picking you up afterwards?”

I thought about it for a moment and face palmed myself, “Right…I don’t think Kai will be available. Could you perhaps…?”

“I thought so. You know don’t even need to ask, I’ll be there. What time will it end?”

“I’m not sure, I’ll call you 10 minutes before it ends.”

“Sounds good. In fact, I’m just eating dinner a few minutes away from the building you’re going to be at, so just call me when you’re done.”

A huge smile crept onto my face without me even realizing it, “Thanks Sehun oppa, you’re such a great friend.”

“I always will be, don’t forget. See you later then.”

As soon as I hung up, the taxi came to a stop.

 

“We’re here, miss.” I took a glimpse at the meter and pulled out some bills, handing it to the taxi driver, then got out of the cab and walked into the grand looking building. I spotted a sign by the elevator that told me where the event was being held. Hurrying into an open and vacant elevator, I pressed the fourth floor and sighed in relief.

As soon as the elevator reached the fourth floor, I walked out with my phone in my hand and cautiously looked around for the door to the ballroom.

“Eunkyung, over here!” I spun around to see a cheery looking Kai waving at me in front of the ballroom door.

I swear my heart fluttered a bit after seeing that smile of his again. Carefully making my way over to him, I stuffed my phone back into my clutch and followed Kai into the ballroom.

“Wow, this place is so grand.” I gaped at the tall ceiling and elegant chandeliers.

He nodded, “Our performance is third on the lineup of performing groups, but we’re eating first, so help yourself to the buffet. We’re sitting at this table.”

I chose the empty seat beside him and glanced around the half filled table. Kai patted my shoulder before heading off to other tables to socialize, “These are all my best buddies, so don’t worry, they don’t bite. I’ll be back later, go get yourself some food alright.”

I was slightly disappointed that he wouldn’t be introducing me to his friends or spending time with me just yet, but I gave him a small smile and let him wander off.

I’ve only met some of them before, but seeing them all here together and quietly sitting next to me made me feel timid as I didn’t really know them that well. 

 

“You’re Kai’s best friend, Eunkyung, right?”, asked a boy beside me that looked as if he belonged in high school. I was taken aback at how young and adorable he sounded.

“Yeah, I’m performing with him tonight. Are you in the same year as Kai…?”  I warily asked.

He laughed and I was instantly mesmerized at how charming he was. “It doesn’t look like it right? But I am~ My name Luhan! Sorry if I sound a bit weird talking in Korean, but I’m Chinese.”

I grinned, “It’s alright, I couldn’t really tell you had an accent. You look Korean though!” He laughed again and began asking some questions to get to know me better. We then stood up, after a while.

“Want to get some food with me?” He motioned over to the tables of food laid out for the guests.

I nodded and followed him. While walking, I noticed how much makeup some of the girls were wearing. Although no one was wearing a full out prom dress or princess like dresses, there were a few girls who were wearing tight and short dresses. I shook my head at these girls, where do they think they’re at? A club? I’m glad my university has better disciplined girls.

 

Before I knew it, it was time for the student performances. I gulped down some more water before leaning back on the chair, enjoying the first two performances before getting ready for my dance number.

I made sure the camera Kai brought along on a tripod was in recording mode. I took a deep breath and stretched a bit before walking onto the mini stage at the front of the ballroom. The MCs then began to introduce us. I rotated my neck a bit before standing into position with Kai. Taking a deep breath, I waited for the music to start before breaking into the dance we both practiced so long for.

He leaned in and gazed at me with those tender eyes of his, the same way he looked at me whenever we rehearsed this part together. I let go off all the feelings I had hid deep inside and danced as if it was my last day with him.

 

It came to the part where I had to dodge his incoming k

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter