Chapter 10.

You Really Never Know What You Have Until It's Gone.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunkyung's POV

 

“Did you have a good sleep last night?” Hyoyeon greeted me. I nodded cheerfully, “It was okay, at least I didn’t have to wake up early today. How about you?”

She ran her hands through her hair, “Slept like a pig. Completely knocked out.”

I laughed along with her and saw that our director, Mr. Lee, had stepped into the main room. Everyone instantly hushed down. All students from the three levels were here today, and we knew it was something important whenever we had meetings like these.

“Don’t mind me, I just wanted to introduce a new member to you all before I announce something! It’s been a while since we accepted someone new into the advanced level!” Mr. Lee hollered and motioned for a girl to step into the room.

I furrowed my eyebrows at the figure. What was she doing here?

“Hello, I’m Miyoung. Nice to meet you all! I hope we’ll get along well!” She bowed and looked around the room with a bright smile, meeting Kai’s gaze. Kai returned the smile and went over to talk to her. The room began to get noisy again.

Since when did she apply for this club? Was she that good for our director to put her into the highest level of the club? One does not simply apply to get into this level, you have to work your way up here!

I glanced somewhere else and tried not to focus on their conversation. Still, I could make out parts of it.
 

“I didn’t know you’d join this dance club, or even make it into the advanced class.”
“Whichever dance club you’re in would be the best, right? And I didn’t expect it either, guess Mr. Lee really likes me.”
“I’ve only seen you dance a few times, what genre do you dance the most?”
“Well, I do ballet, hip hop, and some jazz.”


I never knew that Miyoung could actually dance. This just gives another reason for Kai to like her.

I sat down on the glossy floor and tried to ignore those two once again. Why does she make everything difficult for me? Suddenly, a pair of arms from behind wrapped around me.

“Do you want to go somewhere else?” Sehun whispered. I shook my head, “Not really. The director is going to talk to us all a few minutes so we should stay.”

Sehun sighed and sat in front of me, “I didn’t know she’d join our dancing studio…ugh.” I forced out a smile, “Don’t talk so loud, she’ll hear you.”

He scoffed and placed his arms behind him on the floor so he was slightly leaning backwards. “Who cares, I don’t really like her anyway. Now that you see her more, you can see she’s gotten all flirty and shi-“

I shot him a look, “Language, Sehun.”

“Whatever. She’s been stealing the attention from Kai, replacing you…” He faltered with his words and looked at me.

 

I closed my eyes and propped my arms on my knee, cupping my face. It’s true, Kai and I barely hang out anymore. When I asked him this morning, he said he had plans with Miyoung. At least I get some time with him tomorrow, he promised that he’d bring me to a coffee shop and hang out to make up for the times he spent with Miyoung.

“Don’t worry Eunkyung, you’ll always have me! I’d never pay attention to anyone else except you here~” He scooted closer and did a bit of aegyo. “Bbuing bbuing~ You know I don’t do aegyo for anyone else~”

My lips quirked upwards a bit and I laughed quietly. “Thanks.” I reached out and ruffled his hair to show my affection. “Hey, not the hair!” He grabbed my hands and lightly shoved them away from his ‘precious’ hair.

 

“Ahem, attention all! I’m glad all of you are present today for this small meeting. I’m pretty sure all of you have heard the upcoming dance competition held in Seoul, correct?” Mr. Lee came back in and closed the door this time.

We all stopped talking and focused our attention on him.

 

“Any dance club in Korea is eligible to enter. Each club can only send the maximum of 3 groups of two, with each group having one boy and one girl. Since our dance studio has decided to join this big competition, we’re going to be selecting three pairs today to enter! You can be from any level, but your partner must be in the same level as you. If anyone is interested, please come to me after you’ve found a partner to register.”

Indistinct chatter could be heard around the room. People got into clusters and talked amongst themselves. I tapped my chin, contemplating on whether or not to participate. But I need another partner, a male….

I quickly looked around and spotted Kai. Miyoung looked as if she was asking him to enter this competition with her.

No way. She just joined today, what makes her think she can enter this huge competition and expect to grab a place in the top 3?

Kai and I made brief eye contact, and I had this tiny bit of hope that he would ask me to be his partner. I knew he was definitely going to enter anyway, so what was the point of even asking him. But then he did something totally unexpected.

 

He had an apologetic expression on and mouthed a ‘sorry, next time’ to me before turning back to Miyoung and nodding.

 

Sehun’s POV

 

I watched as Kai mouthed something to Eunkyung before turning back to smile at Miyoung, nodding. I gaped at his actions and worriedly observed Eunkyung’s reaction. She looked as if she just saw a ghost; pale face and expressionless. I wordlessly hugged her and let her head rest on my shoulder.

Was Kai that dense to not know that Eunkyung wanted to ask him? I’m pretty sure Eunkyung is way better than Miyoung.
 

“Sehun?”
“Yeah?”
“…Do you want to enter this competition with me?”
 

My eyes widened and I asked her to confirm, “Are you sure? You want me to be your partner?” I wouldn’t mind entering this competition with Eunkyung though, honestly speaking.

She nodded and gratefully smiled at me, “I’d like it if you could. I know you dance really well, a lot better than I do, you just don’t really show it in class because you’re so modest. I think we’d do great together as a pair.”

I thought about it for a moment. Did she really think I could dance well with her? “Do you really want to enter with you? Like really?”

She gently flicked my forehead, “Of course! I’ve joined almost all competitions Mr. Lee has entered our club in, and I’ve always managed to win something with…Kai. I want to try without him this time. I know I can still do well without him as my partner. It’s good to try something new every once in a while.”

My eyes softened at her words. I guess I’ll do it, for Eunkyung. “Alright then. I’ll try my best for us to win okay? Maybe even get first place!”

She laughed and stood up, “I doubt that we can, but yeah, let’s try.” I stood up with her and went over to Mr. Lee to write down our names.

As we got closer to him, I heard Kai and Miyoung talking to Mr. Lee.

 

“Miyoung and Kai? Are you sure about this? You two know about each other’s dancing capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses already?”

Miyoung nodded energetically, “I’ve known Kai for some time now, I’m sure we’ll work well together. Kai is an amazing dancer!”

I tried not to gag at her cutesy voice as Eunkyung just rolled her eyes.

This time, Kai jumped in, “Yeah Mr. Lee, I’ve seen her dance a couple of times so I’m sure we can think of something together, we won’t disappoint you.” He draped his arm over her shoulder and grinned.

I saw Eunkyung clench her fist tightly and then let out a sigh. I slightly smirked and slid my arms around Eunkyung’s waist. She looked at me weirdly and I winked at her. She seemed to get what I was doing and played along. This was like a memory of what we did at Lotte World with those boys. Hilarious stuff.

“Mr. Lee? We’d like to join too.” I spoke up after he was done with writing down Kai and Miyoung’s name.

 

Eunkyung's POV
 

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Miyoung dragging away a confused Kai who was still staring at me, or more like staring at Sehun’s arm. That’s right, don’t think I won’t enter because you aren’t my partner.

“Hmm let’s see. Sehun and Eunkyung? Now that’s something new. I think you two would do very well because both of you have your unique points.”

We both bowed and beamed at Mr. Lee. “We’ll try our very best. Sehun wants first place so-“

“I was just joking!” He exclaimed and pretended to tape my mouth. Mr. Lee laughed and shook his head, “I don’t think it’s entirely impossible. What theme are you two going to do?”

“We need to decide on a theme already?” Sehun scratched his head. “Sorry about the late notice but yes, we have to get the information in as soon as possible.”

I whispered into Sehun’s ear, “How about a fairytale sort of thing? I’m pretty sure a lot of the contestants will be dancing hip hop, street dance, or couple dances. Maybe a few will do jazz too, but I think we have a better chance at winning if we do something different from the others.”

“I guess that’s a good idea. It can be fantasy like, with masks and elegant clothing~” I giggled at the thought of Sehun wearing a weird looking mask.

“We’ll do a fairytale theme, where our dance will tell a story~” I told Mr. Lee and he quickly wrote it down. “I’m expecting something new from you two, don’t let me down! So far, you two look the most promising.”

Sehun and I nodded. “We’ll blow you away with our performance Mr. Lee, just watch! We’re not placed at the top level for nothing!” Mr. Lee laughed once again before he turned to another pair who wanted to enter. I was grinning like a fool, but it didn’t matter because now Sehun and I had a chance at this competition.

 

A few more pairs went up to register with Mr. Lee. He wrote down all their names, but he called us together again. “Much to my surprise, there were 6 pairs who came to sign up with me. If you remember, we can only send 3 pairs to go. Can all the pairs line up in front of the room?”

We shuffled to the front, standing in front of the mirror side by side with our partner. Now what was going to happen?

“Now look around at your opponents. 3 pairs will be facing off with each other. There’s only one final winner, with a second and third place. Any groups want to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter