Understanding

Marriage Without Love or With Love?

“Ah I almost forgot to introduce Donghae. Guys this is Lee Donghae he is…”

“Your boyfriend” Shouted a girl. Then everyone began to tease both of them.

“No he is not my boyfriend he-he is my fiancé. Do you guys even know what that means?”

“Unni isn’t that your prince charming whom you live with happily ever after?” said one girl.

“Oh like in the princess movies” commented another girl.

                       Shin young was hesitant to say yes as she remembered her dad’s letter. “Well yes something like that” answered Shin young.

“CONGRATULATIONS!!” exclaimed the adults.

“I didn’t know you were engaged” said Ms. Chae rim

“We need to do some catching up” added Won shik.

“Yes oppa. We will all talk later” responded Shin young.

                   Jonghyun smile faded away when he heard that Shin young was engaged to Donghae. Donghae noticed the change in Jonghyun and wondered why.


                      All the adults and Jonghyun started to decorate the garden. They put some banners on the trees and fixed the chairs. Donghae went to put the cake in the refrigerator, and Jonghyun went to make an order of 10 pies of pizza. The children were playing games like pin the tail on the donkey. Hyun shik and Han bi were in charge of the games for the kids. After the decoration, everything was done. Donghae and Shin young sat down for a while. Jonghyun, Won shik, and Bora went to buy cola, juice, and ice. The director went to her office to take care of some documents. Donghae and Shin young started to have a conversation.

“So these are the children” said Donghae.

“Yup. This is the first orphanage I started to help, so I feel a special connection. All the children here and the ones that already left I call them my mini marshmallows because they are cute and sweet. Well expect Jonghyun he just by marshmallow since he is not little anymore” said Shin young with a smile on her face.

“By the way what is the name of the little boy all by himself.” asked Donghae.

“Oh that’s Junsu. I am very much attached to him and Jonghyun because they have been here the longest.”

“How long have they been here?” questioned Donghae.

“They have been here for ten years. I was 18 when I started to help here, so I have known them for 8 years. They have not been lucky in getting adopted. Junsu still has a chance because he is 11, but Jonghyun most likely won’t have a chance because he is going to be 16. People usually come and adopt only the younger ones.”

“That is sad. Is that why Junsu separates himself from the rest of the kids?”

“That is probably one of the factors. He was not always like that, but he slowly started to close his heart. I mean the kid has gone through a lot. Junsu seems distant, cold hearted, and serious, but he isn’t a bad kid. He has lived without parents so far.  At one point he did become a trouble maker because got teased at school for not having a mom or dad. But even Junsu has that one person he cares about” stated Shin young.

“Really, who?”

“Jonghyun. Jonghyun and Junsu came to the orphanage on the same day. As you can see Jonghyun has a cool image but only Junsu has been able to break that image. Junsu would stop crying when Jonghyun carried him. When Junsu learned to walk he would always follow Jonghyun and Junsu’s first steps were towards Jonghyun. Cute right?”

“So they are fond of each other” guessed Donghae.

“Yup, despite their age difference they get along with each other and are close. Junsu probably looks up to Jonghyun as a brother and father. I am pretty sure Jonghyun looks at Junsu as his little brother. There was one time that Jonghyun had the chance to be adopted at the age of 14 but ran away because he refused to being adopted. He did not want to leave Junsu behind. Although he may act like does not care about anyone, he has a soft heart. Junsu has proved it. They both look out for each other.”

“That’s good that they have each other.”

“Oh yea you and Junsu have the same birthday” noted Shin young.

Suddenly two girls came running to Donghae.

“Oppa come and play with us” said one of the girls.

“No thanks” replied Donghae.

“Why not ajusshi?” asked another girl.

“A-ajusshi?” stuttered Donghae while Shin young gave a small laughter.

“Why did you call oppa ajusshi?” asked the first girl.

“Because he is a waaay older than us. Oh wait maybe we should call him samchon? Unni what should we call him?”

“I think you girls should call him samchon” answered Shin young trying to hold her laughter.

“Wait why do you call Shin young unni? She is way older then you guys too” questioned Donghae.

“Really?! Unni looks so young plus she so pretty! I want to be just as beautiful as Shin young unni when I grow up!” declared the second girl.

“Hey I am also handsome” argued Donghae.

“Eww boys have cooties!” screamed both girls.

“We just want to play with you because your unni’s prince charming” said the first girl.

“Ouch that hurts. I never thought I would get hurt by the words of two young girls” noted Donghae.

“So you coming to play with us samchon?”

“No” said a playful angry Donghae.

“Come on ajusshi these two young ladies want to play with you despite the fact that you have cooties” teased Shin young.

“Aish. Okay fine but under one condition. You girls have to call me oppa okay.”

“Okay!” responded the two girls.

The girls came and pulled Donghae by his hands to play with them.

“Ajusshi fighting!” yelled Shin young.

Dongahe turned around and gave her a glare. Shin young started to laugh as she remembered the time she called Donghae ajusshi.

            Shin young was watching Donghae and the kids play the 3-6-9 game when Ms. Chae rim came and sat next to Shin young.

“So is he nice to you?” asked Ms. Chae rim.

“Of course. Why would you ask that?”

“Because I can tell this marriage is not a we fell in love with each other.”

“How did you know?”

“You hesitated to answer when the girls said if a fiancé is like a prince charming.”

“You are right. It is an arranged marriage.”

“We are back” said Won shik as he came back with Bora and Jonghyun.

Won shik and Bora went to sit down with Shin young and Ms. Chae rim to talk. Jonghyun went to put the drinks and ice in the cooler. He then went to take over Han bi and Hyun shik position to give them a chance to talk with the other adults.

Donghae gave up on playing with the children because he kept on losing. He got up from the grass and walked over to the boy all alone.

“Hey you don’t want to play with the other kids?” asked Donghae.

“Nope so leave me alone.”

“Your name is Junsu right?”

“Yea so what?”

“Wow we got a tough one here. My name is Donghae.”

“Like I care”

“Ya I am your hyung.”

“More like you’re an ajusshi”

“Seriously why does everyone keep on calling me ajusshi?” whispered Donghae to himself. “Anyways Junsu, why are you so cold towards people?” questioned Donghae.

“Can you just leave me alone?”

“No because I want to talk to you”

“You’re so bothersome”

“What wrong? Is someone bullying you? Are you scared? What’s bothering you?”

“You” answered Junsu.

“Come on I am trying to have a conversation with you.”

“Look you won’t understand, so just leave” said Junsu.

“Just try me. Why do you isolate yourself?”

“Who says I do? I am close to Jonghyun. I am sort of close to Shin young noona and the others adults.”

“But what about the other kids?”

“I…they…what’s the point they are going to leave one day.”

“Ah! I see. You are afraid of getting attached because you have seen many leave already.”

“What do you know?”

“A lot actually because I have heard about you and Jonghyun from Shin young. You must have had a hard time growing up in an orphanage all these years. I heard kids at school picked on you because you didn’t have parents, which probably made you also close your heart.”

“You’re I might not know what it feel to have parents that passed away, but there many times I felt like I didn’t have a father. Also, my best friend lost his parents” said Donghae.

“Shin young noona?” questioned Junsu.

“No she is my fiancé not my best friend. No my friend's name is Wooyoung. I saw what he went through, but he was able to get back on his feet.”

“You don't get. I will never know a parent’s love!” yelled Junsu.

“You might have not feel the love from your biological parents, but there are more than one way to have love. You just have to let people come close to you. Open your heart and you will feel love and care from friends, mentors, and people that become more like your family.”

“I tried but they all left. The only one that has been there is Jonghyun hyung.”

“Well let me tell you a little secret. You might get close to someone and leave in the end but you never know when you might see that person again. In the future you might meet one of the friends you have met here, and that is a good thing. It is not like we are talking about a nasty break up. Or you could look at as making connections. Just try being a kid.”

“I don’t know if I will be able to”

“Just try, so don’t worry about not being loved.  When I was small and went through the I was not being loved phase, someone told me that we are like pieces of puzzle that fit with someone else. So no matter what at one point in our lives we will know what it feels to receive love and give love. You might not notice now, but you are being love already. Shin young, the director, the others helpers, Jonghyun, the kids that try to get close to you, and now me care a lot you.”

“You?” mocked Junsu.

“Yes but that’s because you have the same birthday as me. Well that and the fact that you seem to be a very good kid.”

“You should be happy that you have parents”

“Yup I keep hearing that a lot. Trust me I am trying to change too" declared Donghae.


HELLO!!!!!!!!!! Everyone!!!!!!!! I hope you guys have been doing. I am doing another update, so enjoy! Keep looking  foward to my updates :)  Sorry if there is any grammar mistakes.

Do not forget to subscribe and comment! ^-^