Phoebe

Exo Planet: Shoot Anonymous

“Are you ready to find your power?” Suho smiled when I greeted him.

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” I shrugged.

“Okay, well normally I’d start with some questions from your past, but seeing as your memory is blank I suppose we’ll jump right into it. First we’ll test your water skills-,”

“I hate water,” I said immediately. “No offense or anything. But being near the ocean and stuff… it makes me nervous.”

“Alright, so we’ll move on to fire,” he decided. “What you have to do is will yourself to create it.”

“In my hands?” I asked with big eyes.

“Just try.”

I gulped, then closed my eyes while willing my hands to burn.

“Think about heat and flames. You can do it,” he encouraged me.

“I’m trying…” I said in annoyance as nothing happened. “I really don’t think this is my power though.”

“Try harder!”

“I am!!!”

My mind ached from concentration, but my hands remained lifeless.

"Okay, I'm done," I finally gave up.

“Ne,” he sighed. “I guess we’ll move on to levitation.”

I smiled to myself, mentally promising to try my hardest in hopes that Luhan and I obtained the same abilities.

“This is all about your mind. See that rock on the ground? I want you to focus all your power and energy on that rock. Picture it floating,” Suho directed as I stared at the mineral in concentration. “Don’t give up, you can do it.”

I was willing the rock to move with all my body and soul. However it remained lifelessly on the ground just as we’d found it.

“Ahh it was worth a try,” Suho shrugged.

“No, I know I can do it!” I said in determination.

“Phoebe, if you haven’t done it yet there’s no way you can do it.”

“I can!” I stared harder at the rock.

“Phoebe…”

After another second of no movement I finally gave up and lowered my hand. “Ugh, fine.”

We tried power after power with no success. I had a pounding headache, and at that point I was ready to call it quits.

“We'll end today's training with flight,” Suho said while helping me up from the ground where I’d been lying in frustration. “Since it would be very difficult for me to train you in this kind of thing, Kris will help you.”

“But… you helped me with all the other powers,” I pouted, not wanting to be bossed around by the other leader.

“I know, but those powers are similar to how mine work. It’s all a mind trick,” Suho explain. “Flight is different. It’s not only mental but physical as well. I’ll go get Kris and send him down. He’s a great teacher, so don’t worry.”

“Oh, why would I be worried?” I mumbled to myself as Suho walked away. “I’m only going to depend on the guy I hate to teach me to fly. You know, he might just feel like taking me for a ride and then dropping me on sharp rocks; but oh well, I’m not supposed to worry.”

“Hey.”

I turned to see Kris walking toward me. Great, here comes my favorite person in the world.

“Hey,” I said straightly. “So you’re going to teach me to fly?”

“Not teach you; I’m going to demonstrate. If you can do it that’s great, but if you can’t you can’t, simple as that,” he said in all seriousness.

“Okay, so what do we do?”

“Well, first we have to walk.”

“Oh, to gain speed right?” I asked.

“Riiiiiight,” he rolled his eyes. “No, we have to walk to Exopil to get to a high enough building.”

“High enough for…”

“You really are a bai chi” he sighed. “It takes time for flight to kick in. You don’t want to hit the ground before it happens.”

“You mean I’m jumping off the roof of a building?!” I asked, my legs growing weak.

“Yeah,” Kris replied as if it was a normal everyday thing.

“What happens if I don’t have the power?”

“You go splat.”

My eyes stayed locked on his serious face. This guy wanted to kill me; it was so obvious.

“Gosh, you are too gullible,” he shook his head with an annoying smirk. “I’ll catch you. After all, I can fly. Come on, we need to get going.” He began to walk toward the abandoned city on the horizon.

“‘I’ll catch you’,” I mimicked as I followed behind him. “Unbelievable. Thanks for the reassuring promise pal. Putting my life in your hands seems like such a wise decision-,”

“Are you talking to yourself?” Kris turned back to look at me with a weird expression on his face.

“What? No, do you think I’m some crazy person? Seriously grow up,” I covered for myself and walked past him. “Come on, we need to hurry if we want to get back by the time it gets dark.”

He chuckled and began walking again.

--------------------------------

“Hurry up!” Kris yelled/complained for the one hundredth time.

“My feet huuuurt,” I whined. “How much further?”

“Maybe a mile or two.”

“Ughhh,” I groaned, letting myself collapse onto the dusty ground in defeat. “I can’t mooooove.”

“Such a wimp,” Kris mumbled. Suddenly I felt his arms wrap around me.

“What are you doing?!” I shrieked.

“If you’re not going to walk, then we can at least fly,” he said, taking off the piece of rope he wore around his neck (for what reason I didn’t know) and tying it around both our waists. “And just incase you don’t trust, here’s some reassurance.”

“Wait!” I stopped him as he began to knot the rope. “Let me tie it.”

“Fine,” he sighed.

Once I was sure the rope was secure, I gave my consent to fly.

“One little piece of advice: Try to keep your mouth closed, unless you like eating bugs,” his smirk sang into my ear.

“So gross,” I winced.

As our feet lifted off the ground I closed my eyes.

“Not scared of heights are you?” he asked teasingly.

Instead of replying I held tight to the rope, praying that he didn’t have a knife with him to cut it while we were in mid-flight. I was surprised when he put his arms around me to help ensure my survival of this awful sky ride, rather than leaving me to depend solely on the rope.

My eyes didn’t reopen until my feet were safely planted on the ground again; or, the rooftop of a building I should say. As soon as we landed I hastened to untie the rope and get away from that annoying man.

“I didn’t like it any better than you,” he rolled his eyes. “Now come on.” He led me over to the edge of the roof. “I’ll fly down about half way to make sure I can catch you. When I tell you, you jump straight off and will yourself to fly.”

“Will myself to fly. No biggie,” I shrugged, terrified out of my mind.

Kris leapt off the building and flew about three quarters of the way down. A few seconds later he gave me the signal to jump, but I just couldn’t do it. There was no way.

“You’re crazy!” I shouted down to him.

“Maybe I am; maybe I’m not. We won’t know until you jump!” he shouted back.

“Gosh I hate you," I mumbled to myself. "Okay, I can do this. I've just gotta run and jump. Just do it! Ready..." I walked to the edge of the building and looked down toward certain death. "There's no way," I shook my head and backed away.

"Hurry up!!!" Kris called up to me.

"Shut up!" I shouted back over the edge, then continued arguing with myself. "This is it. You can do it..." By this time my toes were hanging off the edge of the roof. Here goes nothing but my life. I let my feet slip off the building while my screams got lost in the wind. A million thoughts filled my mind and I felt like I was going to pass out. I still couldn’t feel myself losing speed, and the ground was growing closer at an alarming rate.

“It’s not working!” I screamed. The pavement below was blatantly visible now, along with my death. It’s going to look like I killed myself. Nobody will even know that it was his idea. They’ll think I-

Suddenly I felt a pair of arms around me. My eyes were closed, but I could feel myself shifting horizontally so we flew parallel to the street that was only a few feet beneath me. By the time we landed safely back on top of the building I thought I’d lost my stomach for good.

“Jerk!” I shrieked, giving him a shove. “You said you would catch me!”

“I did catch you!” he fired back in exasperation.

“Yeah, about a foot off the ground!”

“I thought you would do it. You seem like a flier.”

“Well I’m not! Just… get me home; now!”

“Home? Well someone’s getting awful comfortable here. Keep in mind that you’re still the newbie in all this. This is our planet, and you have to listen to what we say!” he fired back haughtily.

“Oh, right. ‘Cause I’m just your little pet that does whatever you want. New flash buddy! I lost everything, so as of a few days ago this is my home!”

“You're such a brat!”

"You're the brat!"

"Just... ugh!" Kris flew off in anger, leaving me alone on the roof of a very tall building in a very abandoned city.

 

 

 

 

image