Phoebe

Exo Planet: Shoot Anonymous

Four more days dragged by. Since there was little to do during the long hours that the boys were out practicing, I resorted to jogging. Every morning Suho would leave me a canteen filled with fresh water. I’d take it and the dagger D.O. lent me and head off in my usual direction.

I wasn’t sure how far I ran everyday; maybe seven miles? My favorite place to rest was a mound of rocks on the rise of a small hill. In the near distance was the start of a mountain range. I promised myself that some day I’d hike those mountains.

“I’ll see you guys tonight,” I smiled as I got up from the table once I’d finished my breakfast and grabbed my canteen.

“Wait!”

I turned back at the sound of Kris’s voice. It had almost been a week now, but I still got the feeling that he didn’t like me.

“Yes?” I asked.

“No more running. Today you’re going to start training.”

“Training for what?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Fighting,” he said obviously.

“Fighting?! I can’t fight!”

“Well you better learn if you don’t want to be the first one dead on the day of the attack.”

My eyes drifted over to Luhan who gave me a helpless look.

“So what do I learn with then? I don’t have any powers,” I pointed out.

“You’ll start with sword fighting. Tao will be your mentor. Everyday we will try you on different things to find your niche, and hopefully what your power is,” explained Kris.

“Now, why is it I have a power again? I mean, as far as we know I’m just a normal person from Earth. Earth people don’t have weird “powers.”

“If you didn’t have a power, then our planet’s environment couldn’t support you.”

“So if I’m not a regular human being then what am I?” I asked, matter-of-factly.

“Our best guess is that you are a different species that was simply raised on Earth.”

“Species? Gosh, you make me sound like an animal!”

“Look, like it or not you’ve got a power and we have to find it,” Kris insisted. “It may even benefit us in battle.”

“Whatever you say,” I sighed. “But I know I’m normal.”

------------------------

“Hold it this way,” Tao demonstrated the correct way to hold the sword in my hands.

“What’s the difference?” I sighed.

“The difference is your life.”

“Psh, well that's comforting," I scoffed.

He looked at me with a serious expression, “Is it that you just don’t care? Or do you really want to die?”

“I don’t even know who I am! How should I know if my life is even worth saving?”

“Just because your past is a mess, it doesn’t mean your future has to be. You’re starting fresh here,” he said. “Now come on, let me teach you how to fight.”

I sighed and placed the sword correctly in my hands.

“The key to a good swordfighter is quick reflexes and anticipation. If I swing my sword this way,” he demonstrated. “Then you’ll-,”

“Cut you off and twist my wrist this way, making your grip on the hilt weaken,” I finished for him, surprising myself.

“How did you know that?” he asked in shock.

“I don’t know… But come on; don’t stop now!”

A smirk of delight flickered across Tao’s face and he made another move. I quickly deflected the blade and was even ready for his second stab.

“So you’re past the beginner level,” he observed as we continued to fight. “How about we kick it up a notch?”

“Bring it.”

He brought his blade down at me with more force this time. I immediately ducked and rolled, springing back up and taking a swipe at him. However, Tao was proving his skills and was ready for me. My sword was quickly deflected and he rolled it over, twisting my wrist.

“Ouch!” I shrieked, dropping my weapon. In a split second Tao had me at sword point.

“Not bad,” he reasoned. “But you must learn to never let your guard down.”

He chuckled to himself, then began walking off in the opposite direction. I glanced down at my sword. Not willing to give up that easily, I grabbed it and charged him.

“I don’t just give up!” I shouted as he turned and blocked my predicted blade.

“Then show me what you’ve got,” his crooked smile challenged.

We broke into battle once again. With each I became braver and my senses more keen. It wasn’t just sword fighting now. We were incorporating our whole bodies in the fight; ducking, leaping, twirling, rolling. Multiple times I found myself at the mercy of Tao, but each time I got back up and continued to fight.

“Tao!” a shout came from the top of the hill.

That split second was all I needed. I could sense the break in his concentration, enabling me to take a chance. With a fake jab, a quick swing and a kick of my foot he was on the ground. His sword skidded across the ground, and before he had a chance to reach for it I held my own sword to his throat.

“Surrender, or let this fight be your last!" I demanded.

“Wow, scary,” he teased. I stuck my tongue out at him and helped him back up.

“So what do you think? Do I have what it takes to be a sword fighter?”

“That and more,” he smiled.

“Hey, what’s going on?” Luhan asked walking toward us.

“Tao was helping me practice sword fighting,” I gestured to the sword in my hand. “I beat him too!”

“Yeah, after a thousand tries!” he exclaimed. “And it was only because I got distracted.”

“What happened to never letting your guard down, huh?” I teased.

“Aish; anyway, what is it you needed Luhan?” Tao turned to the baby faced boy.

“Kris needs you to work out some time-plans,” Luhan replied.

“Alright, thanks. Phoebe,” he patted me on the shoulder. “Keep practicing! Maybe you’ll be as good as me someday!”

I scrunched up my nose at him and he laughed upon his exit.

“So what do you think of Ta- I mean, sword fighting?” Luhan asked as we headed over to my water bottle so I could take a much needed drink.

“It’s awesome!” I exclaimed after gulping down some water. “I feel so natural doing it too. Maybe I did sword fighting some time in my past.”

“It’s possible. But hey do you-,”

“Phoebe-,”

“Ah!” I shrieked, turning around to find Kai standing behind me.

“Gosh, you really need to stop popping up unexpectedly! Can’t you wear like a bell or something?” I asked, holding my fast beating heart.

“A bell? Cute,” he said sarcastically. “Suho wanted me to tell you that it’s time to start power training. He’ll be here in just a minute.”

“And he couldn’t tell me in “just a minute” when he got here? Aish,” I shook my head. “Well thank you Kai.”

“No problem,” he dissipated into the air.

“You don’t like teleportation do you?” Luhan giggled.

“It’s creepy! Like, I’d like it for myself to have, but when others have it… I feel like they could spy on me!”

“Haha, yeah, most powers are that way; fun for the person who has them, but a bear for the people they use them on.”

“Speaking of powers, are you going to help me find my force?”

“That’s Suho’s job,” he said disappointedly. “But if you find out you have telekinesis then I’ll definitely train you!”

“That would be awesome,” I smiled. “Well here comes Suho now. I’ll see you later okay?”

“Okay,” he smiled and I walked toward the water powered leader.

 

Hope you're enjoying the story so far^^ Just letting you know that I've made a trailer for the story as well. You can check it out here if you'd like! Love you all<333333333