Phoebe

Exo Planet: Shoot Anonymous

 

I wanted to stab my sword between the Anon leader’s eyes so badly, but risking my friends’ lives just to relieve my anger was not a mistake I was willing to make. I glanced over at the group. Luhan was shaking his head and mouthing the word “no.” Lay wore an expression similar to Luhan’s. Chanyeol’s and Chen’s expressions were unreadable. Xiu Min stared at the ground, and I was surprised to see desperation in Kris’s eyes. His lips mouthed to words “don’t” but I had already made up my mind. I looked back at the Anon before dropping my sword at his feet.

“That’s a good girl,” he smiled. “Now let’s go.”

“Phoebe! No!” Luhan screamed. The sound of his desperate voice ripped what was left of my heart out of my chest. I couldn’t even look at him. I just had to keep telling myself that this was the only way to save him and the others.

Suddenly a strange sound came from behind me and I couldn’t help but look back. Chen’s body lay lifelessly on the ground.

“Chen!” I screamed, struggling against the strength of my captors. “You said you wouldn’t kill them!”

A smug grin spread across the leader Anon’s face, “I lied.”

“That’s it!” I screamed, finally releasing all the anger that had built up inside me. Sehun’s wind power rushed through my veins as a dust tornado sprung up in the middle of the Anon army, consuming them by the dozens. Everyone began to scatter.

I ripped away from the two Anons’ grasp and ran to my sword. Nothing was holding me back from giving them all I had. Anons didn’t stand a chance against me anymore, falling like flies at my feet before they even had a chance to swing their swords. With a quick glance I saw that my friends were fighting as well.

“Be safe,” I whispered under my breath as I continued to fight.

My whole body was being used; my feet, my hands, my back, and even my head. I could battle multiple warriors at the same time and not lose focus. Anon bodies littered the ground, but I stepped knowingly around them. It was as if my mind was working on ten different tasks at once.

Fire lit up the night sky, while on my right a frost nipped at my body. I catch glimpses over Kris swooping down from overhead. Things were being thrown around, and time flickered in chaos.

A large portion of the Anonymous army had been wiped out by now. Many of them were retreating and a smile spread across my face. However, my happiness faded when I saw a certain body in particular laying on the blacktop.

“No,” I whispered, running over to him and kneeling by his side. There was a large gash across his chest and he was struggling with every breath.

“Lay,” I whispered. I quickly turned and took out the Anon that had been approaching from behind, then fell to my knees once again besides my brother-like friend.

“Just like my sister,” he smiled weakly.

“No, Lay. No,” I shook my head as tears slipped from my cheeks.

“Don’t cry,” he whispered and shakily slipped his hand into mine.

“You’re a healer. You can heal yourself,” I said hopefully.

“It doesn’t work that way,” he said softly. “Take my power.” His hand tightened around mine.

“But-,”

“Are you going to argue with your big brother on his death bed?”

“Lay,” I put a hand on his forehead while my other absorbed his power.

“Be a good girl, okay?” he smiled as his eyes closed.

I shook my head, whispering, “Lay…”

“Promise me.”

“I promise,” I nodded.

A soft smile appeared on his face and his eyes closed.

“No, stay with me!” I put my hands on his body and focused on the healer power he’d given me. Now that I had the power, I realized how difficult it was. Even though I put in all my strength, the feeling of Lay slipping away only became greater. His raspy breathing grew shallower and shallower until it finally came to a stop.

“L-Lay?” Tears blurred my vision and his silence concluded he was gone. I slowly lowered my head as tears slipped off my cheeks. All I wanted to do was sit there and cry. Life didn’t seem worth the fight anymore.

“If you give up now, it will all be for nothing.” My own words rang in my ears. I thought about Luhan. He had lost his real brother, but didn’t give up. Slowly, I lifted my head and wiped away my tears. I leaned in and placed a kiss on Lay’s forehead.

“I promise,” I whispered. The fire returned to my eyes and anger burned inside me.

“Yah!” I jumped up and dove fiercely back into the fighting. I didn’t want to stop until every Anon was dead, to ensure that whoever took Lay’s life got the same thing in return. My sword clashed fiercely while I kicked an Anon and punched another over my shoulder. I chased after the Anons that were retreating, taking out every one I saw. My mind wasn’t in control anymore. My body was fighting wildly, randomly swiping at anything it saw. I swung my sword as hard as I could, knocking my opponent’s weapon out of his hand and pushing him down to the ground. I was about to lower my sword on top of him, when I heard a shout.

“Phoebe!”

I opened my eyes to see the tip of my sword only inches away from Luhan’s chest. He stared at me in fear, then glanced at the sword tip. Slowly I came down from my wild high, though my breathing was still heavy. I threw my sword onto the ground. Luhan stared at it, then back at me.

“Phoebe?” he asked cautiously sitting up.

I fell to my knees and fresh tears stung at my eyes. He put a hand on my shoulder and brought his face close to mine.

“Lay?”

I nodded and my lips trembled, trying to hold back sobs. Luhan wrapped his arms around me and I embraced him tightly.

“Why did any of this have to happen?!” I cried. “Why didn’t my parents just let me die with my planet? They never should’ve sent me back here!”

“Hey. Hey,” Luhan pulled back and looked into my eyes. “You sound like me when Sehun died. Remember? I didn’t want to live. I would’ve taken my own life if you hadn’t reminded me that I have something worth living for.”

“But what do I have? No matter where I go, I’ll always be chased. I can never be safe anymore.”

“Then we’ll live on the run,” he said. “We’ll just keep moving from planet to pla-,”

“I’m not putting your through that,” I shook my head.

“What other choice do we have?”

Our eyes stayed locked together as I mentally concluded our only option. I grabbed his knife and it toward him. “Kill me.”

“W- no- Phoebe!” he exclaimed. “Y-,”

“Kill me!” I shouted. “If I die then all of this ends. There will never be true settlement while I’m still alive.”

“I can’t-,”

“Please,” I begged. “This way I know you’ll be safe.” I put the knife in his hands.

“I don’t want to just be safe,” he shook his head. “Not if you’re not there.”

“Just do it, please!” I demanded. “If you care about me you’ll do it.”

He stared at the knife in his hands, bringing it up to eye level. We both stared past it into each other eyes. I closed my eyes, waiting to feel the weapon’s stab in my heart. My grip around Luhan’s hand tightened and a tear escaped my eye.

“I’m sorry…”