Phoebe

Exo Planet: Shoot Anonymous

 

Lay’s mumbling got louder and more desperate. His grip on Sehun tightened and his eyes squeezed so tightly shut that they barely existed. Suddenly the chanting stopped and Lay hung his head.

“Why did you stop?” Luhan snapped.

“I’m sorry Luhan,” he shook his head and looked down at Sehun’s body. “I tried; I really did.”

“No,” Luha whispered. “No!” He jumped up and would’ve tackled Lay if Chanyeol and I hadn’t held him back. “How can you be a healer if you can’t even save my brother?! You’re a fake! You liar!”

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to hold back the tears as Chanyeol and I fought against Luhan. Seeing him suffering like this broke my heart.

“Luhan,” I pulled back on his arm. “Luhan!”

Suddenly he stopped fighting. He turned around and faced me without saying a word. His eyes were red and swollen and his face was wet with tears. Without saying a word he fell into my arms, holding onto me tightly. I tried not to cry so I could be strong for him, but it was too hard of a job. Tears slipped down my cheeks while sweet, innocent Luhan cried into my arms like a baby, screaming for his brother.

We held onto each other like that for some time. Nobody spoke a word. A door slammed, but I didn’t pay it any attention.

“My brother,” Luhan whispered as his sobs lessened. “My little baby brother. He didn’t even have his powers for a full year yet. I should’ve made him stay with us. Why did I let him go?” He broke down in another round of tears. “A good big brother would’ve been there for him. I’m a terrible person! I should be the one on that stretcher.”

“Don’t say that!” I exclaimed, holding him tighter. “You didn’t know. Not even the best big brother could’ve.”

“I should be dead. Why am I not dead?”

“Luhan!” I pulled back and look straight into his eyes, cupping his face in my hands. “If you die too, then what would be the point of any of this? Sehun didn’t give up his life just for you to carelessly do the same. He did it so you could fight for everything he loves; you, the clan, this planet. If you give up now, it will all be for nothing.”

Luhan stared at me emotionlessly before falling back into my arms again. “I’ll do it for Sehun.”

“There you go,” I ran my hand through his dirty blonde hair. “Shhh, it’s okay. We’re going to make them pay.”

“Yes,” Luhan whispered. “They will pay.”

Suddenly I got a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. I’d only felt something like it once before when Kris got attacked.

I pulled back from Luhan with big eyes. He clearly had no idea what was going on, but I didn’t wait to explain. Without a word I grabbed Kris by the wrist. He looked at me as if I was going crazy. After a few seconds I ran out the doors of the theater. When I got outside, my feet led me to a tall building about three blocks away.

----------------------

“Don’t do it,” I shook my head and stepped toward Lay.

“Stop!” he put a hand up and glanced to his left to see the empty street far below us. “I have to do this. What use am I to you anymore? Luhan said it himself; I’m a failure. I couldn’t even save Sehun.”

“Nobody could’ve saved him,” I took another step toward the edge of the building where Lay stood. “You and I both know that. Everyone does; even Luhan. Please Lay, we still need you; we always will. Think of all the lives you’ll be taking if you take your own? Who will heal us if we fall in battle? We need you.”

Lay peaked over the edge again, then back at me. He wore a confused expression, but behind it I knew he understood me. There was no way he was going to jump. I began to relax a little.

“You promise I’m needed?” he asked cautiously.

 “Why do I even need to promise? You are one of, if not the most valuable person we have. Plus, are you going to make us suffer the loss of another loved one? I don’t think I could do this without you and your encouragement. You’ve helped me so much; treated me like a sister.”

A smile spread across his face and he started off the ledge. “Honestly you remind me of my sister before she died. Maybe that’s why I-,”

“Lay!!!” I screamed as he lost his balance, tumbling over the side of the building. I wasted no time in throwing myself over the edge as well. Willing myself to go as fast as I could, I approached Lay at lightning speed, swooping in to save him just as Kris had done for me.

When we landed, Lay let go of me slowly. He was still shaking and his face was as white as a ghost.

“I didn’t mean to,” he whispered. “I really didn’t.”

“I know,” I gave him a comforting hug. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah I’m fine,” he nodded, the color beginning to return to his face.

“You sure?”

“Yes,” he looked a little more confident with his answer this time. “Thank you for saving me.”

“Well of course!” I exclaimed. “You can’t escape me that easily,” I smiled, then nodded in the direction we’d come. “We should head back now. I kind of ran out of there without an explanation.”

“How did you know I was in trouble? And how did you fly anyway?” he asked as we began walking back toward the theater.

“Well before I ran out I quickly took Kris’s flying power. I don’t know why; I just had a feeling I’d need it. Just like I simply had a feeling that you were in trouble,” I shrugged.

“A feeling,” he stated, weighing the idea in his head. “Well whatever it is, it must be good because it saved me.”

“Yes,” I smiled. “It most definitely must be. By the way, what were you saying about me reminding you of your sister?”

“You really do remind me of her!” he smiled. “She had the same smile and determined personality as you.”

“What was her name?”

“Dao Ming.”

“That’s so pretty!” I exclaimed. “What happened?”

“Well, she went to this training camp to become more advanced in her power. She could create these awesome force fields. On her third day in training there was an accident. A student was practicing his fire skills after hours and caught the dorms on fire. Dao Ming… she…”

I placed a hand on his shoulder. “I’m so sorry, Lay.”

“It’s okay,” he looked away. “But when I see you I think of her and it makes me happy.”

“Well if brother is happy then I am happy!” I smiled.

“Just like her,” he laughed as he reached for the handle of the theater door. 

“Wait,” I put a hand on his arm.

“What is it?” Lay asked in concern.

“I don’t want to go in there.”

“Come on,” Lay took my hand. “We’ll be strong together and pull through this.”

I gave what smile I could manage, “I missed your pep talks.”

When we entered the building we found everyone waiting around in the lobby. All heads turned toward us, upon our entrance. However, they relaxed a little when they saw it was just us.

“Where did you guys go?” D.O. asked.

Lay gave me a look of uncertainty and I covered for him quickly, “Oh, we just needed to clear our heads is all. What’s happening here? Where’s Luhan?”

“He wanted some alone time with Sehun,” Xiu Min informed us.

“Oh,” I glanced at the theater room door.