Phoebe

Exo Planet: Shoot Anonymous

I stood on the roof, still intoxicated with anger. However, as time passed and Kris didn’t return I started to get worried.

“Kris?” I called quietly at first, then louder. “Kris?!” My eyes roamed over the city, but there was no sign of the flying boy anywhere. “Ugh!”

Rather than waiting in boredom for his return, I figured now would be a good time to explore the ruined city. Thankfully the fire escape was accessible from the roof top. A few floors down I found a broken window within reach from the metal stairs.

I climbed through the window and found myself in a large room with rows of cubicles. Dust covered any and all surfaces while cobwebs took care of the rest. There was an eerie feel to the building, as if it was waiting for something; possibly the return of its staff. I walked slowly between the rows of cubicles, feeling that if I disturbed anything, something bad was bound to happen.

I descended to the next floor down using the stairwell. Even if the elevator worked, I didn’t trust it. It had been too long since the facilities had been in use to expect them to work properly. The next six floors below were all the same; big, dusty and filled with cubicles. However the level below these was quite different. Instead of cubicles, a long corridor with doors on either side greeted me. I walked the length of the hallway, finding that it was just a large square that brought me back to where I had started.

My second time around the loop was for exploring the rooms. Most were locked, but eventually I found one with the door cracked open. The hinges creaked as a pushed it open and I stepped into a conference room. It contained a large, oval table which was surrounded by chairs. Papers and files were scattered across the glass table, along with spilled over coffee cups whose remnants had long evaporated.

“Why is it I never find anything interesting?” I sighed to myself and left the room.

The rest of the building was of little interest. I exited the building, onto the deserted city street. The street sign indicated that this was the city’s “Main Street.”

“Better look both ways,” I chuckled as I stepped into the street. My feet carried me down the paved way while my eyes took in the surroundings. It looked like a normal city besides the occasional “Teleportation Lessons” sign or “Flight Arena.”

As the sun began to set, I concluded that I was hopelessly lost. Even if Kris did come back for me, he wouldn’t know where to look. I wandered cautiously down the road. As shadows grew longer my heart rate quickened. Shadows tricked my eyes and the wind my ears.

Suddenly the sound of a door slamming came from one of the buildings. It took all my strength not to scream and run like a little child. Instead I hurried behind a pile of rubble and watched the building carefully. After five minutes without movement I finally concluded that it was just the wind.

“I’m so silly-,”

“Phoebe-”

“Ahhhh!!!!” I screamed and instinctively threw a punch at the person.

“Uhhhh,” Kris groaned, holding his jaw.

“Oh my gosh,” my hands flew to my mouth in shock. “Kris I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to… I just reacted!”

“Well we won’t have to worry about your reflexes not beign sharp enough. Gosh, you can really swing!”

“I- I didn’t mean to. I’m sorry,” I repeated, still unable to believe what I had done. As much as I hated Kris, I still felt bad for hitting him; not to mention that I was a little scared of him as well.

“It’s fine,” he shrugged, letting go of his jaw and pretending like it didn’t hurt when it obviously did.

“You know, you kind of deserved it for leaving me,” I crossed my arms.

“I only left for ten minutes. You’re the one that decided to run off!” he retorted. “You know what? Forget it. Let’s just get back home.” He put a strange emphasis on the word “home,” obviously still thinking about our earlier argument.

I began to walk down the street, but Kris called after me. “Where are you going?!”

“Uh, Keunjib obviously,” I answered without turning around.

“If we walk we won’t be back until midnight.” He jogged to catch up with me.

“And you expect me to trust you flying again?”

“Seriously Phoebe, grow up. I’m not going to drop you!”

After a few more steps I stopped abruptly, “Fine! Let’s just get this over with!” I still didn’t trust him, but my body was already complaining, and a four hour walk in the dark would only make it worse.

I tied the rope around us again and we took off. The cold night air made me shiver as it hit my face. Looking down through the darkness I could barely see the ground.

“How high are we?” I asked nervously.

“I don’t know. Not too high though, why?”

“Just wondering.” After a pause I asked a stupid question to ask a person while your life was in their hands. “Why do you hate me so much?”

“I never said I hated you,” he said solemnly. “I just don’t trust people.

“Why not?”

“When you’ve seen as much suffering as I have, your perspective begins to change.”

“Does it have to do with your father?” I stupidly asked again.

“You do understand that I could drop you, right?”

That shut me up.

I began to relax as we neared Keunjib. The lights coming from inside the building looked more welcoming than they ever had in the past. I could already feel the comfort of that dusty bed and taste that dry salad we called dinner.

Suddenly I felt the rope move as if it was loosening. “Oh my gosh!” I grabbed the knot in hopes to keep it together.

“What's your problem now?” Kris sighed in annoyance.

“The rope is slipping. Kris it’s slipping! I’m going to fall!”

"You're not going to fall."

"Kris!!!!"

“We’re almost there, just hold on,” he directed and I could feel our speed increase, along with the rope’s weakness.

“It’s slipping more!” I shrieked.

“Just hang in there,” he said more uneasily this time.

“Kr- ahhh!”

The rope had finally loosened enough for me to slip out. However, when I opened my eyes I wasn’t splattered on the ground, but hanging onto the rope with one hand.

“I can’t hold myself!” I screamed.

“Give me your other hand,” he directed and I swung it up to grab his, just as my other hand slipped from the rope.

“Oh my gosh,” I repeated over and over in fear.

“We’re almost there,” he tried to reassure me, but we could both feel our hands slipping.

“We won’t make it! Just land here!”

“Almost there,” he mumbled again.

“Kris! For goodness sakes just put me down!” I screamed desperately, but his eyes were set on Keunjib. “Kris!!!!”

It was evident that he wasn’t going to land until we reached the house, so I did everything in my power to survive.

Please, let my fly like Kris. Let me borrow some of his power.

I suddenly felt weightless. It was as if gravity had let go of my body and I was floating in midair.

“Phoebe, are you flying?” Kris asked in a surprised tone.

“I… I don’t know…”

He let my hand slip from his.

“Kris!” I exclaimed, but relaxed when I didn’t start plummeting toward the ground. “Omo, I am flying!!!!”

“I knew it,” he smiled.

“I can’t believe- wait, what’s happening?”

The weightless feeling began to dissipate and I could feel gravity’s fingers pulling me back down toward the rocky ground. I’m going to die. This is it. It’s over.

“Help!!!!” I screamed as I went into a total free fall. Thankfully Kris was quick to react and swooped in to catch me right before I crashed onto the roof of Keunjib. He landed us safely on the ground in front of the building. My body was shaking like a leaf.

“Are you okay?” he asked, putting his hands on my shoulders.

“I- I’m fine,” I replied nervously. “I just don’t understand. Why did my power just leave like that?”

“Maybe flight isn’t your power,” he shrugged.

“But I did fly!”

“There is another possibility,” he sighed. “We’ll worry about it in the morning. For now just rest up. You’ll need it for tomorrow.”

 

Sorry guys! I almost forgot to update! I have been writing for the past FIVE HOURS. lshagkjhdkgs My brain hurtssss and I really don't want to proof read this (I always do proof reading after I write it, but I like to do it before I post it as well). I know that later on I will say "wow, let's see what chapter 9 was about" and then see all my mistakes and fix them after you all have read the silliness, and I sincerely apologize for that. Thank you for reading my story and I hope you like the rest of it as well!^^ Subscribers/Reader Hwaiting!<3

P.S. It's still me; SHINeeOnew27!! But as you can see I have a new name :D