The Interrogation & Tears

Something Wicked This Way Comes

The cops dragged Kris in the police station and sat him forcefully in the chair the in interrogation room.

“Hey don’t I get a phone call,” he said as the cop took the cuffs of him

“Not yet,”

“What do you mean, not yet? That goes against my rights!” he yelled

“You kids think you’re so privileged; that you can do whatever the hell you want to. You know who Stacy Keebler was to me?” all the color left Kris’ face, “She was my niece and if you’re the bastard who killed her then I have every right to deny you your precious phone call. So shut hell up!” the officer slammed the door shut

“You ok Brian?” asked one of the officers

“I need a drink,”

Detective Layla Scott was viewing the file of the case when her luscious but serious partner Yoo Seung-ho entered the room. He was her new partner after her old partner retired, so he could spend the rest of his life with his grandkids. Yoo Seung-ho was young, about the age of 33 and ready to get his feet wet. She was positive he would be a great asset to the team.

“Morning sunshine,” she smiled at him

“Layla it’s night time. What are you talking about? What do we have?”

“Kris Wu, senior at John Marshall High School. Attempted murder,”

“So are you saying he could be the killer?”

“NO I’m just saying he’s in for attempted murder. Look at you being lazy, not wanting to ask questions. You have to ask questions to get the truth. We don’t know if he’s the killer,” she was playing with him

“I know, I know. You know just once, you want a case to be easy,”

“They never are,” they went up to look at Kris, “He doesn’t look like a killer,”

“They never do. It’s always the pretty ones; remember that, “he said, “So what the story is,”

“There was a house party at the Kim’s residence,”

“Underage drinking I bet,”

“Of course,” she continued to look at the file, “Jong-dae Kim, no relation, was stabbed in the shoulder and stomach,”

“Is he dead?”

“No he’s in the intensive unit,”

“Continue. Any other witnesses,”

“Yes,” she looked at file, her face fell

“What? What’s wrong?”

“Seo Joo-hyun was the other witness. She was attacked by the assailant. She’s the daughter of Lauren Seo who was brutally murder 5 years ago. They never found her killer. And She’s also Kris Wu’s girlfriend,”

Yoo Seung-ho took a deep breath and cracked his knuckles.

“Let’s go,”

They entered the room with solemn expressions on their faces. Kris felt he didn’t stand a chance. He tensed up.

“Why so tensed Mr. Wu. Guilty?” asked Seung-ho

“No,”

“So why don’t you just tell me the truth and we can get this over with,”

“I didn’t try to kill anyone. And I sure as hell didn’t attack my own girlfriend,”

“Are you sure? The kids we talked to at the party said you had motive to at least attack your girlfriend,”

“There was a rumor but it’s not true,”

“What rumor?”

“Do I have to tell you?”

“I mean it would be important to disclose everything you know,”

“She supposedly slept someone I know,”

“Yea I’d be pretty pissed if I heard that. And our toxicology report says you had a blood alcohol level at 0.10. That’s enough to get worked up,”

“I’m sorry,” Seung-ho chuckled

“You’re sorry. Try saying that to Jong-dae Kim who is in the intensive unit,”

“I didn’t do anything. I’m being framed,”

“By who Kris? You seem like a good kid, smart, attractive. Who would set you up?”

“Kim Jong-in,”

Yoo Seung-ho looked at Layla, “No relation to the Kims,”

“He likes my girlfriend. He wants her all to himself,”

“So he wants to get you out of the way. I see,” he smiled

“Do you really see or are you just playing with me,”

“I want you to be innocent but I cannot tolerate these killings to go on any further. We are making national news, do you get that and if you are a possible suspect we need to get down to business with the truth,”

“He was the someone Joo-hyun supposedly slept with,”

“Wow it just keeps getting better and better. It’s like I’m watching General Hospital,” said Layla

“I see, so how was Jong-in trying to set you up? Sources say he wasn’t at the house when the attacks happened. They said he was watching the fireworks. So how did he set you up?”

“I don’t know,” Kris was getting agitated

“You don’t know much Kris,” Seung-ho rubbed his temples, “How did you get outside. Your girlfriend said you were in an upstairs room. How did you get outside? Did Jong-in mysteriously drag you outside?”

“How tall is Jong-in?” asked Layla

“About 5’9,” he grumbled

“And you’re about 6’3 plus I’m assuming you weight more,”

“I know I look guilty but I don’t know how I got outside…”

“Kris we want to help you,”

“No you don’t. You want to lock me up and throw away the key,”

“That too, but innocent till proven guilty right?”

“How did you get the blood on your hands?” asked Layla

“Wait let me answer for Kris,” Seung-ho looked at Layla and a pissed off Kris, “I don’t know,” he smiled

“Seung-ho let’s be professional here,” his partner reminded him

“That’s what you were going to say right Kris?”

“Let us focus. So we know why you may have attacked your girlfriend because of this rumor but why did you attack Jong-dae. Do you have any beef with him?” asked Layla

“I’ve known Chen since we were kids. I would never harm him,”

“You sure?” asked Seung-ho, “Are there any dirty secrets you know?”

“I know he has a crush on Joo-hyun but he’s harmless,”

“Wow your girlfriend must be gorgeous for all these boys to fall all over themselves,”

“Looks like you’re stuck detective. I don’t have any motive to stab Chen twice,”

“Unless he was getting to close to your girlfriend?”

“You’re just grasping at straws detective. You have nothing on me pertaining to Chen’s attack and since I know I didn’t touch that knife…”

“Oh something you remember. It’s a miracle. We’ll see about that,” they left the interrogation room

As they were coming out the room one of the officers came up to them with the results of the knife. His finger prints weren’t on it, no one’s prints were on the knife. Yoo Seung-ho had to reluctantly let Kris go. He wasn’t too happy about that.

“I have a feeling we’ll be seeing each other Kris,” he said

“Don’t hold your breath detective,”

 

The next morning Hyo-yeon and Joo-hyun headed to school with another news reporter encounter.

“I swear that lady is out for me,”

“You’re big news Joo-hyun,”

Yuri, the cheerleaders, the jocks and Kai were waiting for them once they walked through the doors. Yuri’s eyes went straight for Joo-hyun.

“Wow you have some nerve showing up here. How could do that to Kris?”

“What the hell is your problem. Chen was bleeding to death. Besides when you call 911, dummy the cops come as well,”

“I’m not talking about that. I’m referring to you selling out your boyfriend. I feel so bad for him,”

“I never did that,”

“Well you sure as hell didn’t protect him. He was begging you to believe him but you did nothing. Do you honestly think the class president who is the sweetest, gentlest person ever would stab Chen then attack you? Why would he attack his own girlfriend? You are a pathetic…”

“Shut the hell up Yuri! I have had enough of you bullying Joo-hyun. She doesn’t owe you a damn thing,”

“Once again the short one speaks,” Hyo-yeon was seeing red, “You’re not Joo-hyun’s mother. She can fight her own battles or maybe you can’t. Did you know they released Kris last night?”

“What?”

“Oh so you didn’t know. Yeah Kris called me personally to tell me that they had nothing on him; meaning his finger prints weren’t on the knife; meaning he was innocent; meaning you messed up big,” she felt better letting Joo-hyun have, she walked away with a smug look on her face

They all walked away from them except for Kai. Joo-hyun felt low. She did mess up. How could she believe her own boyfriend would attack her. But when the attack happened, she couldn’t think properly. at that moment she was frantic. She didn’t know her left from her right. She was out of her mind with fear. That’s probably why her mind was playing tricks with her. How was Kris to forgive her now. He sure as hell was making it clear he didn’t want anything to do with her since he called Yuri instead of her. She wanted to cry.

“Joo-hyun,” Kai rubbed her back

“Don’t,”

“Don’t what?”

“Kai I’m not supposed to talk to you,”

“Did Kris tell you to do that? From what I just saw, he has moved on to Yuri. How could he not call you? That’s low. Even though you made a mistake,”

“Don’t put the blame on her. She was out of her mind last night. You’re at fault; shouting in front everyone that he stabbed Chen,” said Hyo-yeon

“Look I messed up all right…”

“Yea you did but you can go now. Joo-hyun has enough on her plate without you putting on your pouty lip face and being all sweet,” Hyo-yeon was getting annoyed

“But Joo-hyun knows I would never hurt her,”

“Yea she does but you need to back off,” Joo-hyun started crying, Kai was affected

“Damn you Kris,” he was angry

“Kai please go. I don’t want to see you right now,”

He grabbed her arms so she was looking at him, “I’ll give you your space but just so you know. Kris is a fool and if you were my girl, I would never let another tear fall from your eyes. I truly care about you…,” he closed his eyes to think, “No I think it’s more than that. But I’ll respect your space…for now,” he let her go and left

“OMG He’s like a freaking Shakespeare novel,”

“I hate myself,”

“Oh stop it. If anyone were in your situation they would probably react the same exact way. Please don’t beat yourself up about this,”

“Did you know he was released last night?”

“Yea but I thought you knew and I only knew because Lay called me last night,”

“What are you guys like dating now?”

“Yea,” Joo-hyun smiled, “Now is not the time for you to be smiling,” she patted her back

“I have to smile about something since now I know that Kris hates me,”

“He doesn’t hate you and I don’t believe that he called Yuri,”

“How else would she know?”

“Well even if he did, he should understand, you know. You were attacked and Chen was bleeding to death. It’s scary,” they walked to their lockers and bumped into Tao who looked a mess

“Tao,”

“Oh hey,” he was uncomfortable at that moment

“How is Chen?”

“Alive, thank God,”

“I’m glad,” she turned from him because she got the sense he blamed her for his friend’s attack

“I don’t blame you, you know. I know you tried to help him. He told me,”

“He actually saved my life,” she smiled at him

“Yea, you know he would really like to see you. He’s staying at St. Mary’s,”

“Thanks Tao,” she smiled sweetly at him

“Anytime,” he smiled back and left

“Aw Tao’s actually normal,” said Hyo-yeon, Joo-hyun rolled her eyes

 

The girls got through their classes without too much attention but Joo-hyun still hadn’t seen the one person she ached to see and speak to. It was finally lunch time. She got her lunch and headed to the cafeteria. Hyo-yeon and Lay were sitting at the table together.

“So where is Kris?” she asked

“Oh he’s here,” Lay didn’t look into her eyes

“Where?” she looked everyone but then found him at the jock table sitting next to Yuri smiling and talking, “Oh God, please don’t let Joo-hyun see,”

“Too late,” Lay’s eyes followed to a distraught Joo-hyun looking at Kris. She walked over to their table and put her try down

“Joo-hyun,” said a concerned Hyo-yeon

“I’ll be right back,” she walked over to Kris and stood there til he felt her presence. He quickly looked at her but said nothing

“Hey Kris,” everyone at the table looked at her especially Kai

“Hey,” he turned from him

“So I heard you got released,”

“Who told you?” Joo-hyun stared at Yuri who smirked at her

“Hyo-yeon,”

“Actually Kris I told her,” said Yuri

“I see,”

“Kris, can I talk to you?”

“If you have anything to say, you can say it right here,” he looked right in her eyes this time.

Joo-hyun was sweating bullets now with the whole school listening on their very public conversation. She gulped a few times before she got the confidence to apologize to him. She was praying he would forgive her.

“I’m sorry about last night. I was…I was out of mind and I’m sorry I…”

“Doubted me? Joo-hyun it hurts. It hurts because you didn’t have any faith in me. I loved you…”

“Loved?” her heart sank

“Look I can’t deal with this now. I have a lot to think about as you do as well. I think it would be for the best if we take a little break,”

“Why?” the tears began to form

“Why? You know why. Look don’t embarrass yourself more than you’re already doing,” he was right. She didn’t want to cry in front of the entire school; in front of Kris and especially in front of Yuri. She collected herself; put a faint smile on her face and looked straight into Kris’ eyes

“You’re right. We need a break,”

“Ok,” he turned from her to finish his conversation with Yuri.

Tae-yeon, Yoona, Jessica looked at Joo-hyun with sympathy. Joo-hyun quickly scanned the table before her eyes landed on Kris. She quickly turned and went back to the table with Hyo-yeon and Lay with every eye on her. She didn’t speak after that but ate her lunch in silence with Hyo-yeon shooting death daggers at Yuri and Kris.  

The end of the day finally came and Joo-hyun dragged herself to her car. She convinced Hyo-yeon and Lay that she was fine and that she was going to visit Chen at the hospital. Just as she was about to pull out of the driveway Kai ran up to the car.

“Kai you said you would give me my space,”

“I know. I’m sorry about today,”

“Yea whatever. I don’t want to talk about it,” she was visibly upset

“Do you think you should be driving? Come on, get out. Let me drive you home,”

“I’m not this pathetic girl who needs your help every time. I will bounce back on my own. Now would you please let me be? I’m fine,”

“OK,” he backed off

Joo-hyun had to gather herself once she got to the hospital. She didn’t want Chen to see her like this. Chen was on the fifth floor in the intensive care unit. She bought some flowers from the gift shop to give to him. When she found him in the bed, he was asleep. She didn’t want to wake him so she left the flowers and started writing him a note. She was about to leave when he woke up.

“Wow that was the shortest hospital visit ever,” he smiled brightly at her

“Chen,” she walked to him and kissed his forehead, “I’m so glad you’re alive,”

“I’m glad as well. How are you doing?”

“Good,” she tried to put on a brave face but he wasn’t buying it

“Sure you’re ok. News travels fast,” she was shocked

“That fast huh?” she chuckled

“He’s a douche,” he squeezed her hand

“It really hurts though. I didn’t do it on purpose,”

“Of course you didn’t. He’s probably just trying to protect his pride. Men,” he chuckled

“But what about my feelings? He said he used to love me…” she suddenly stop talking, “Look at me being selfish. You’re the one who was stabbed and here I am talking about my stupid love problems,”

“I don’t mind,” he smiled his big smile at her, “Just keep talking,”

Joo-hyun and Chen talked the whole afternoon. They equally enjoyed each other’s company. Joo-hyun promised Chen she would come back tomorrow to see him and Chen couldn’t wait.