A Little Time With Kai

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Kai was driving and Joo-hyun was in the passenger seat with the window and with her head leaning on her hand. She was thinking about everything that happened today. She was thinking mainly about Stacy and Rachel and how their families feel.

“I feel bad for Stacy’s parents. She was their only daughter,”

“Yeah it pretty much ,”

“Did you know the girls?”

“I knew Rachel somewhat. She was on the soccer team. Jangwoo knew her better though; he kind of had a crush on her,”

“Oh I feel bad for your little brother then,” she looked sadly into Kai’s eyes. He reached over and grabbed her hand and squeezed it

“Why is this happening to our little town? Who would do something like this?”

“It’s sick,” he turned his focus back to the driving with a serious expression on his face

 

Hyo-yeon was putting her books away in her locker when she overheard a conversation.

“She is such a pain in my ,” said Yu-ri

“Why? It must be hard for her,” said Jessica

“It’s been 5 years. I’m like get over it already and stop it with the pity party. Did you see the death look in Kris’ eyes? I would never make him feel that way,”

“Yu-ri just stop it. You don’t know the whole story,”

“I know enough to know that Joo-hyun is making everyone think she’s this innocent sweet girl when she’s just this who is stringing poor Kris along. If she liked Kai so much, why doesn’t she just break up with Kris?”

“I bet you would love that,” Hyo-yeon

“Who the hell are you,” Yu-ri gave Hyo-yeon a nasty look

“Hyo-yeon Kim, Joo-hyun’s best friend and I suggest you watch your mouth because you don’t know anything about her,”

“You’re laughable and short,” she smirked and turned her back to her

That pisses Hyo-yeon off so much. Just cause she’s on the short side doesn’t mean she can’t fight and Yu-ri was adding fuel to the flame. She quickly grabbed Yu-ri and shoved her to the lockers. Jessica tried to pry Hyo-yeon off Yu-ri but she was strong.

“I can tell by your facial expression that you’re shock this short girl had such strength. Listen to me very carefully. Just because Joo-hyun is timid and sweet and won’t confront you, I’m not that kind of girl. If I ever hear you disrespect her or say bad things about her mother again I will personally rip your eyes out. Do you understand me?”

“Get away from me, you freak!” she yelled

“That’s not what I wanted to hear,”

Just then Kris and Lay were turning the corner to see the altercations between the girls.

“What are you doing Hyo-yeon?” hearing Kris, Hyo-yeon loosened her grip on Yu-ri

“Having girl talk,” she sarcastically said with a smile on her face

“That must be the new way of girl talk,” said Lay

“She attacked me Kris.” Said Yu-ri as she threw herself on Kris

Hyo-yeon lunged at her to try and pry herself off of Kris. Lay had to hold onto Hyo-yeon.

“Do you have no self respect? I can’t stand girls like you,”

“Will someone tell me what happened?” asked an angry Kris

“She was calling your girlfriend a and I called her on it,”

“Well I saw the way you looked an hour ago Kris. You looked like you were about to cry, so I went outside and saw Joo-hyun getting in the car with Kai. You must have been heartbroken. And I was just telling Jessica that I thought the way Joo-hyun was stringing you along was hurtful,” she was trying to seem innocent in the situation

“And then you called her a ,” said Hyo-yeon

“But Hyo-yeon you were wrong to attack Yu-ri,” said Kris

“Are you freaking kidding me right now? Do you even care about Joo-hyun? Do you even know the real reason that she was probably crying. Yes she feels terrible about the girls but do you know what day it is?” Kris had to think for a minute which sent Hyo-yeon’s blood boiling, “OMG! It’s her mother’s death anniversary you idiot. Wow what a wonderful boyfriend you are to forget that. I can’t even look at you right now,”

“I…I…,”

“You know you can get mad at Kai all you want but at least he’s there for her right now and right now when she needed her boyfriend to make her feel better, you weren’t,” She looked at Lay who was still holding her, “Lay you can let me go now,”

“Oh sorry,” he blushed. She turned her attention back to Yu-ri

“Remember what I said. And I keep my promises,” she walked away from them

Kris looked embarrassed. How could he forget such a day, “I got to call Joo-hyun,” he started to leave

“Kris wait…” called out Yu-ri, she turned her attention to Jessica, “What are you smiling about?”

“Joo-hyun: 1, Yu-ri: 0,” she gathered her belongings and left a frustrated Yu-ri

“Just you wait Joo-hyun; you’re going to get what’s coming to you,”

 

Kai pulled up to Joo-hyun's house. He turned off the car and turned to face her. Joo-hyun didn’t look at Kai at first.

“You’re still the same Joo-hyun I remember when I met in you in first grade. You have on a white and yellow dress with your hair in pigtails. You had tears in your eyes because you didn’t want to leave your mom,” he chuckled about his memory of her

“How do you remember that Kai,” she now faced him

“I remember everything about you. I even remember when you left and moved to South Korea for awhile to be with your other family,”

“Yes, I left two years before I went to high school,”

“I really missed you. I had to find other friends to play with,”

“Isn’t that when you met Kris. He told me once that you two were best friends,” Kai smiled

“All 12 of us actually were. For those last two years of middle school while you were away, we were best friends. We did everything together,”

“I never did hear who was in this group,”

“You’re not going to believe me,”

“Tell me Kai,”

“It was me, Kris, Lay, Suho, Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, Sehun, Luhan, Xiumin, Baekhyun, Chen and Tao,”

“What? Chen and Tao were your friends,”

“Best friends,” he laughed, “We even had a name for ourselves,”

“Do I want to know the name? Am I going to laugh again?”

“Exo,”

“What is that?” she was laughing

“We were aliens from Exo planet and we had super hero powers,”

They were both laughing hard. Joo-hyun had tears in her eyes. Kai loved seeing her happy and laughing at that moment. If he could see that smiling face every day, his world would be complete.

“It’s sad though,” after she calmed down

“What?”

“You guys aren’t really friends anymore, I mean as a whole. I understand people grow apart, have different interests, make new friends but it’s kind of sad,”

“Yea, half of us are into sports, and the other half are into other things,”

“Yea,” she briefly looked at him then opened the car door to walk to her house, “Well thanks for dropping me off,”

“I hate to leave you alone,”

“It’s fine. I’m just going to lie down for awhile and then call you so you can pick up my car,”

“No really I don’t want to leave you alone. There’s a killer on the loose. It’s not safe,”

“So what are going to do Kai? Come into my house; watch me sleep,”

“Sounds like a great idea,” he took her house keys and opened the door

“It’s not necessary for you to do this,”

“I sincerely do not mind,” he said leaning forward to gaze into her eyes, “I told you. I am going to be a better boy…I mean best friend. So you are not going to get rid of me Seo Joo-hyun. Now what do want to eat? Chicken noodle soup,” he started making lunch in the kitchen

“How come you don’t have a girlfriend? Do you know how many girls would kill to have a boyfriend like you?”

“There are no girls that have caught my eye,”

“I find that hard to believe. There are a lot of pretty girls at our school. You mean to tell me you can’t find one,”

“Well I’m going to be honest with you. There is one girl but she has a boyfriend,”

“There’s always a boyfriend,”

“But I think in the end, it’s going to turn out exactly how I want,” she was confused

“What do you mean by that?”

“You’ll have to wait and see,” he said at her as she rolled her eyes