A phone call

Love is forgotten with love

Gabbi’s POV

In that moment when Melissa cried I hated Heechul for having told me the truth. How could he ask me not to tell Melissa? Sooner or later she was going to find out and knowing the truth then would only make her sadder and she would lie sleepless at nights thinking about what she could have done if she only had known the truth from the beginning. It would kill her finding out the truth when it already was too late! But on the other hand I had no choice but to keep my promise to Heechul and not tell her. He wanted it to be this way and I guess that I had to respect that. And besides if I told her she would go straight back to New York. And I don’t think that she would be strong enough to handle what would be waiting for her there. So maybe this was the best for her. God, how I feared the day when it was all going to end. Why Heechul!? Anyone but him! Then I made a decision that I maybe was going to regret. Well out on the street I took up my phone and scrolled down to his name and pressed “call” he answered almost straight ahead.

“Gabbi?” he asked confused

“Hey Heechul, how is it?”

“Can we start with an easier question?” he asked and I could tell that he was worse than the last time that I had spoken to him. Heechul was dying and had only told Melissa that he was sick and that’s why it didn’t make any sense for Melissa why he didn’t want her by his side. He simply did it for her. He knew that she wasn’t the strongest person when it was about love. He wanted to make it easier for her when he died so that she wouldn’t be too broken. He didn’t want to make her suffer and he absolutely didn’t want her to see him suffer. It was really unfair that Heechul had to die. Those two were a perfect match. Heechul was the best thing that had ever happened to Melissa.

“Gabbi?” I heard Heechul’s voice ask

“Sorry my thought drifted away, an easier question you said? Okey, have you written any new songs lately?” I asked jokingly

“Hundreds, but how’s school going for you?”

“So far so good, I really like it here” I said but it just felt really stupid to small talk, he knew what I wanted to know and I knew what he wanted to know “She’s fine, still heartbroken but she will get over it... eventually” I continued it was no idea to pretend like everything was like normal

“If only...” he started but then he cut himself off “Then I would never...” he said but this time I cut him off

“I know Heechul, but how are you?” I asked concerned

“Worse... they don’t think that I have much more left, three months, three and a half, top four” he said and I got really mad. Anyone but Heechul! Melissa would die...

“You should tell her... you should let her be by your side till the end, she would want that” I told him and I heard how he started to cry

“I can’t, I just can’t. I don’t want her to see me like this and I don’t want to see her like that. I’ve always hated it when she cries and there is no doubt that she will cry, a lot” he said through his tears

“I know, but still! It’s only going to get worse when she gets to know the truth only to realize that it’s too late. If I told her know she would be with you in like two days”

“Stop tempting me! Just stop! I can’t! I’ve made my decision; I’m not putting her through this. Please Gabbi accept it... even though I would do anything to have her here with me then I simply can’t”

“You really do love her huh?” I stated, it wasn’t really a question

“Yes... she was my life, still is, on distance though. How is she doing in South Korea by the way?”

“Good...” I started and then I told him about her new job and stuff

“I miss her” he stated when I finished talking

“And she misses you... but I have to go now. Melissa is waiting for me to bring her ice cream, take care and keep in touch”

“I will, bye Gabbi, hug her from me”

“I promise, bye Heechul” I said and hung up with the knowledge that that could have been the last time that I spoke with him. But I was hoping that it wasn’t.

When I got back Melissa was lying on the sofa sleeping so I sat myself down next to her and her hair. She started moving and soon she opened her eyes that were all red after crying so much. She tried to smile at me but failed, she was too tired to fake it properly.

“How are you?” I questioned her

“Not too good” she replied sadly and I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her tightly “It’ll all be ok soon, I promise” I told her