The Story Behind Our Nicknames

Only Tears

written by nihkchar


Seulmi's POV

I was squirming in my seat, trying to contain myself because if everything seemed to be in good condition, they'd let me and Raerim get discharged. C'mon, doctor. Work faster~ He was busy writing things down on his clipboard. I couldn't wait anymore. I looked at the doctor still writing. "Well..." I said.

He stopped writing and looked and me and then Raerim. "Everything seems to be ohkay. I don't see anything wrong." I smiled at him with hope. "So we can leave now?" He nodded his head. "Neh. You can change and then head on home."

I looked at Raerim and we both squealed as we jumped off our seats and ran to our rooms to gather our things. We ran all the way to my room first. "Finally!" Raerim threw her hands up in the air. "I'm out of this death hole!" I slapped her arms down. "Yah~ don't say that out loud."

We opened the door to my room when we saw those two guys there again. The purple haired guy was sitting while the other one was standing with his hands in his pockets. "You two... are already here?" I asked.

Raerim frowned. "Those two are always here..."

"Don't you guys ever leave?" I questioned. I looked at Raerim and whispered to her. "Do they have lives? Is the hospital like their hangout or something...?"

Raerim looked at them. "Do they have girlfriends?" Then her face dropped. "Unless..."

They both looked at us. "Unless what?" The purple-haired guy asked.

Raerim turned to me. "That purple haired freak can't be my boyfriend, right Seulmi?" She started shaking my arm. "Right??" I just shrugged.

"Why would I be together with you?" The purple guy said. Raerim twitched her lip at him. The other guy sighed. "Even with half her memory gone, you two still fight like old times~"

Raerim touched her face. "I'm old?" He then shook his head and looked at me. "Are you guys done gathering your things?"

"Almost. Go get your stuff, Raerim." I said. Raerim walked to her room and grabbed her cell phone and the cup of jello that was sitting on her table. "Ready," she said. 

As we were leaving the hospital, Raerim leans in closer to me. "You're lucky you get the cute guy as your boyfriend. I get this ugly monster," she nods to the purple-haired guy.

"I just said we aren't even going out! Chunji, tell her we're not dating."

Chunji turned back to Raerim and smiled. "You two are together."

"Hyung!" He yelled and then turned to Raerim too. "He's lying! I don't even like you."

Raerim turned to me and then started crying. "Seulmi-ah.. He hates me. What did I do to deserve this?"

Chunji slapped the back of L.Joe's head. "Now look what you did, babo."

 

L.Joe's POV

The car ride to Raerim and Seulmi's place was driving me insane. Mostly because Raerim would not quit talking. "What kind of a name is L.Joe anyways?" She asked from the back.

"It's my nickname and you're the one that made it up, Ms. Judgemental," I crossed my arms and sank down more in my seat.

"Why on earth would I have come up with that stupid nickname?"

I rolled my eyes and turned around in my seat to look at her. "You really want me to remind you how you came up with it?"

"Well why do you think I'm asking?" 

 

*flashback*

7th grade Spring Break

"Seulmi, Chanhee, Byunghun!" Raerim yelled as she stepped through the gates at the airport. She went to visit her dad and his new girlfriend in Singapore for a week. She started running towards and practically tackled Seulmi. "I MISSED YOU GUYS SO MUCH!"

"We missed you too, Raerim~" Seulmi said.

"I bought you all some things from Singapore. It's so cool down there, except I didn't understand most of the things they were saying." She took off her little backpack and opened it. She handed Chanhee yellow earphones and Seulmi a small duck figurine. Then she turned to me. "I originally bought you a box of chocolates because I know you love food as much as I do," she took out a small box of chocolate and handed it to me. "But then I thought I should get you something you can keep. So I bought a bracelet." She took out a red woven bracelet. I accepted it from her and noticed a small silver plate on it. It had writing on it.

'Joe' it read.

"Raerim, my name's not Joe." I said to her and showed her the bracelet.

"Excuse me?" She looked at me weirdly.

I raised the bracelet to her face and pointed to the silver part. "It has the name 'Joe' on it."

"Omo, are you serious?" She snatched the bracelet back and looked at it. "Ahh~ Mianhae, Byunghun."

*end of flashback*

 

"For the whole week, you guys kept calling me Joe. And it got to the point where I heard it so much, I responded to it," I explained.

Chunji, from the driver's seat, laughed. "You felt kind of bad for him so you added an 'L' in front of it."

"Whatever." I heard Raerim mumble. I frowned and unconsciously touched the bracelet on my wrist. I still wear up until this day. I felt the silver plate as I grazed my thumb across the word "L.Joe".

 

*flashback*

"Raerim, what are you doing? It's ohk, just give me back the bracelet. I'll black it out with your nail polish or something." I said. Raerim and I were walking through the busy streets of Myeongdong only because Raerim stole my bracelet and insisted on coming here.

"No, that's so ugly. I have a better idea." She said as we approached a small cart with an old guy. "Excuse me, sir." Raerim said. "Do you think you can add something to this engravement?"

"Sure. What would you like me to add to it?"

"I'd like a capital 'L' in front of it with a period. Kamsahabnida," she said and bowed. 

"Why an L?" I asked her. She turned around and smiled at me. "For your surname 'Lee'."

Once the old man was done engraving the bracelet, he handed it back to Raerim who handed it back to me. "There. You can be L.Joe now." I looked down at the bracelet. Hm... Not bad... I looked up only to see that Raerim was already about 20 feet ahead. "Ya~ Raerim! Wait! I can't afford to lose you!" I started running after her as I tried to reattach my bracelet back on my wrist.

*end of flashback*

I let out a big sigh. She really doesn't remember...

 

Chunji's POV:

I side eyed L.Joe & I noticed that he was looking out the window, being the sad, lonely boy he is. Poor guy... His future girlfriend doesnt even remember that bracelet she gave him. I then looked back at the road & noticed Seulmi looking at me through the rear-view mirror. She then leaned forward & rested her head on the edge of L.Joe seat. "Hey Chunji~" she said, "Is that really your name or is that a nickname like L.Joe's?"

"It's a nickname. My real name is Chanhee" I said as I looked at her then back at the road.

"Really? Did Raerim gave you that name too?" I then felt my heart drop as I shook my head. "I told you a few days ago that you & I made up that name at middle school..."

"ohhh yeah..." I heard her say sadly. "you did..." I then forced myself to smile & brushed it off. "You want me to tell you the story behind it ?" I asked. Seulmi nodded as L.Joe started to whine. "Do you really have to tell that story ?" Seulmi & I then hit his shoulder. L.Joe then held his shoulder. "Ahhh~ The pain." he said. I could hear Raerim laughing her hardest at the back. "That's what you get... You told your story of your nickname so let me tell them mine~" I said. L.Joe then pouted.

*flashback*

Summer going to 8th grade

Seulmi & I were sitting at the shade on the beach while Raerim & L.Joe were playing the water.

"Come on Chanhee~" she said as she held on to my arm. "Let me hear you sing just one..." I then giggled at her as she started to hug my arm & started acting like a little kid. "Why do you want to hear me sing so bad?" She then pouted. "Because L.Joe told me that you sing well & with all my years of knowing you I've never heard you sing once~" she whine. I laughed as she continued to whine & beg. "PLEASE~ Just sing to me once" she said as she pouted.

Ahhh~ The pout... It always gets me... "Fine, I'll sing to you~" I said, "But dont go covering your ears once I start~" she then giggled & scoot closer. "I cant be that bad, L.Joe said you sing well." I then smirked. "Well, L.Joe loves twisting words around" I said. She then shrugged her shoulders. "Who cares? Just sing~" she commanded.

I then looked up the blue sky & not one good song came in my head. I then sighed as I looked back at her. "I dont know what to sing though~" I admitted. She then started thinking. She then smiled & looked at me. "Sing that song from Secret Garden~" she said. I then tilted my head. "Which song ?"

"That Man~"

"Ohkae~" I said then looked at her. "Promise not to cover your ears & beg me to stop?" I asked. She then smiled as she held out her pinky. "I promise." Our pinkies then intertwined & I started singing. I sang the first verse & the chorus & once I stopped singing I looked at her to find hanging. I chuckled as I closed for her. "See... I'm at singing~" I said & pouted. She then smiled as she shook her head & scoot over next to me & rested her head on my shoulder. I then rested my head on hers. "Your voice sounds so beautiful I'm not even lying~" she said. We were quiet for a while then she spoke up again.

"You know what... You should have a nickname too~" she said. "Just like L.Joe." I then pouted. "But... I like my name." I said quietly but Seulmi just ignored it & started thinking. "Chun...Ji?" she questioned as she tilted her head. I then thought about it. Chunji? It has a nice ring to it... I then looked at her & nodded. "It sounds nice." I said as she smiled. & before I knew it a beach ball hit my head. Still looking at Seulmi, I sighed as I slowly looked at L.Joe as he should a peace sign. "Sorry hyung ~" he said as Seulmi giggled & both Raerim & him high fived each other. 

*end of flashback*

"It took me awhile to get use to the name. You even yelled at me for not responding to it" I admited as I found a parking spot & parked the car. I turned off the engine & looked back at Seulmi & found her looking at me, smiling alittle. "That's so cute~" Raerim said. "Aish~ You guys make me jealous~" I then heard L.Joe scoffted. "Tell me about it~" he muttered. I smiled as I hit his leg. "Gaja~" I said. "Let's go carry their stuff~"

 


nihkchar: I had such a hard time trying to find out the story behind L.Joe's nickname. Is it good enough? I hope so. ^^"

cheesebloo: I didnt... I told her to go with a foreginer calling him Joe out random... but she said that it'll be a back up plan... xD I also wrote Chunji's POV... so yeah...

*Comment & Subscribe ~