Holding Back Tears

Only Tears

written by nihkchar


L.Joe's POV

I slammed the front door of my house behind me and started walking, eager to get as far away as possible from him. The rain started beating down on me, but I really didn't care. I was so mad, so irritated, that it wouldn't have surprised me if there was steam blowing out of my ears. My head was so jumbled up, I didn't even know where my feet were taking me. I just kept walking because anywhere, anywhere besides that hell house, would've been fine.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp7Kxhacm5c http://www.rainymood.com/)

I've been walking around for about 20 minutes, not realizing how far I've walked. Not caring how soaked I was from the rain. Everything between my house and where I was standing was all a blur. Like I've just managed to teleport here because the last thing I knew, I was in front of my house.

I made my way to a bridge, hoping it'll transpose as though each side of the bridge was another planet. And if I cross it to the other side, I'll be on a different one than my dad. But that's when I noticed I wasn't alone.

As neared the bridge, I saw someone sitting on the thick railing. As I walked closer, I found out it was Raerim. I knew what had happened. 

I walked closer to her until I was standing behind her. "I hope you're not planning on jumping," I said. She jumped at my sudden presence and I had to grab a hold of her arm, to keep her from falling off. She glanced back at me and I saw it. I saw fear, confusion, depression, exhaust... It was screaming at me as if it couldn't be heard, yet I was going deaf by it. I felt something tug at my chest.

"And what if I was?" She responded as she stared back into the river, at the bottom. And I knew that, that was it. That was her rock bottom. My frustration grew more hearing this. She really has no clue, does she? I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her off the railing. Before she could react, I grabbed her arm and started dragging her away.

"Are you stupid?!" I shouted at her. "Excuse me?" She yelled back as she yanked her arm away. "How could you even think of committing suicide? Do you know of the consequences to that?" I started shaking her by the shoulders. "Do you know how that will affect everyone? What about Seulmi? What about Chanhee?" I looked deep into her eyes. "What about me?" 

She looked a bit scared, but I was too angry to give any sympathy. "Are you really that selfish?" I screamed at her. If she started crying, I couldn't tell which were her tears or which were raindrops. But I knew she was crying because of her short intake of breath.

"You don't understand!" She yelled. "My mom is gone! Ohk? She's gone! Do you know what it's like to not have a mom?"

My anger grew more. "Do I know what it's like?" I repeated and then laughed sarcastically. "Do you know what it's like to have your mom leave you on her own free will without telling you where she's going or when she's coming back?" I shouted back at her. "The last time I talked to her was the last time I saw her when I was 8. If you think about it, it's the same as if she's dead except I don't even know where she is! At least you know where your mom lies."

I felt something warm trickle down my cheeks, making my eyes burn. I looked away and that's when I heard Raerim cry harder. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't know," She croaked. I then felt a pair of arms wrap around me. I looked down to see Raerim hugging me and crying into my chest.

All my anger subsided and I felt bad for yelling at her. "It's ohk. I'm sorry too." I hugged her back.

When the rain finally stopped, we were sitting under a tree. I looked at her. "Raerim-ah," I said. She looked at me and I continued, "Whenever you feel like you're going to explode into tears or if you need to let your anger out, come to me. I'll be more than ohk to receive a punch from you." She cracked a little smile. The first real smile she shown in months. "Ohk," she said, "same to you."

 

I jumped up from my bed as I snapped out of my mind when I heard someone knocking on my bedroom door. It opened and Chunji stepped in. "What is it?" I asked.

"Are you ohk?" He asked. I nodded my head. "Wae?" He rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, you do realize that Raerim's mom's anniversary is a few weeks away, right?" I nodded my head slowly. "I know..."

"If you're planning on telling Raerim on that day, I'll just go visit her with Seulmi first." He said. "Wae?"

"Seulmi remembers that her mom... passed away..."

I sighed out loud. "I can't believe she has to go through this again."

"She'll be fine," Chunji said, trying to sound reassuring. I scoffed. "Yeah. She'll be fine. How can she be fine when she finds out her mom has been dead for 7 years?" I nearly shouted.

"Because she'll have you." I looked up at him as he continued. "You're the reason why she started smiling after 6 months of pure torture." He smiled a little before exiting my room.

 

Raerim's POV

I finally stopped patting my cheeks when I was satisfied that the pink-ness was gone. Seulmi opened the car door and sat inside. Even though it was dark, I could see that her cheeks were pink. I moved closer to her face to see if she was actually blushing and my hunch was correct. "Chunji did that to you?" I asked.

She gave me a weird look. "Did what? What did he do?" I pointed at her cheeks. "That." I started poking her cheeks. "Your cheeks turned pink after he hugged you." Her cheeks turned more pink.

"Well at least I don't show my nervousness. Unlike you," she raised a brow at me. "Mochi's waiting for us? Are you serious? They already know we don't have a cat."

I frowned at her. "Well if you just went along with it, I wouldn't have made a fool of myself." She scoffed. "You don't need my help for that." I glared at her before I hissed at her. Then we drove home.

Once we got to our door and Seulmi unlocked it, I turned around to Seulmi after I took off my shoes. "Are you going to bed?" I asked. 

"No. I'll probably just use my computer in my room. Why?"

I shrugged. "Just wondering. I'm going to bed." I said before I strutted off to my room. 

"It's still 8 though..."

I stopped in front of my bedroom door. "So?" I called out. "People say when you sleep, you grow more." Seulmi rolled her eyes at me. "Whatever." Before I entered my room, Seulmi yelled out goodnight to me. "Goodnight," I responded and went into my room. 

As I laid on my bed, my eyes found its way to the calendar sitting on my night stand. There were only about a couple more weeks to go in this month. I flipped the page to the next month and found that the 10th was circled. I titled my head at it. What's happening on the 10th?

I grabbed my phone. Aish~ I can't believe L.Joe actually deleted my dad's number. I scrolled down my contact list until I saw L.Joe's name. I was going to text him, but then I started remembering what happened in his room.

 

"Byungun, I swear, if you don't let me go right now--" I started threatening him, but then he interrupted me.
"The more you complain, the longer I'll hold onto you."

I bit down on my lip as I felt my face heat up.

"Do you want me to hold you again?"

I shook my head. Ani! No! No no no!

"Why are you looking down?" He asked. I didn't bother looking up at him. "I can't look down?" He tipped my chin up with his fingers to make me look at him. "Yeah, you can't... because then I can't see your eyes." He smiled. 

I tried to shake his face out of my head. When it wouldn't go away, I yelled out in frustration as I fell face first onto my pillow.

 

Seulmi's POV

I put my iTunes on shuffle and while I was on the internet, depressing songs started to play one after the other. 

"Since Raerim's memories are now in L.Joe's hands... Does that mean, my memories are in your hands?" I asked as Chunji still stared at me. He shook my head as he fixed a few strands of my bangs from my face. He then cupped my face in his hand and his thumb across my cheek. "They aren't in my hands."

I squinted at him and tilted my head, not able to understand. He continued, "they're in my heart... With you in it."

I let out a sigh and then turned my head to my bookshelf. My eyes suddenly landed on a sky blue box. I got up, grabbed the box, and took it back to my desk. I set it beside my laptop and stared at it. Just then my text message ringtone went off. I unlocked my phone and saw a text from Chunji.

From: Chunji
You got home safely, right?

To: Chunji
Yeah. We got home safely.

From: Chunji
Good because I don't feel like going to the hospital at 3 in the morning xD

I raised my brow at his text. What does he mean?

To: Chunji
What do you mean?

From: Chunji
Nothing... Inside Joke.

Ohkay...? I put down my phone, but another text came in.

From: Chunji
You should go to sleep since you had a long day today, huh?

To: Chunji
Yeah, I should.

From: Chunji
Goodnight, Seulmi :D See you tomorrow?

To: Chunji
Yeah. See you tomorrow~ Goodnight :3

I looked at the box as I set down my phone. I smiled as I sighed. "You really are something, huh?" I said to myself. I grabbed the box and stuffed it in the drawer of my desk.

 


nihkchar: the grey text happened in the past. I don't know why I didn't put a "*flashback*" thing. It didn't seem to fit it .__. anyways, I felt really dramatic writing this chapter. I blame the music I was listening to *continues playing my "sad" playlist* ...

cheesebloo: HA ~ I dont have a sad playlist on my iTunes... just put mine on shuffle then bam ~ Depressing music for the soul :3