Meet the Kims

Only Tears

Written by nihkchar


Chunji's POV

I was leading Seulmi's parents through the hospital hallways to Seulmi's room. I was walking very slow because most of my attention was on Mr. Kim and his comments about being in the hospital. "Uwah~" He said as he touched the walls. "I haven't been in the hospital since Eunae was giving birth to my Seulmi-ah~" He then sniffed the air. "Aigoo~ It even smells the same."

I shook my head slightly and chuckled to myself. Same old Mr. Kim~

"Omo~ Yeobo," Mr. Kim said as we were walking past the nurses' counter. "They have lollipops," he said as he found a glass container filled with an assortment of lollipops. He asked one of the nurses if he could have one, but they said it was for the patients only. So what does he do? "Aigoo, but my daughter..." he said, "she's a patient here and she loves lollipops. Can't I at least give my sweetheart just one lollipop?" They agreed and he took one.

"It's not for Seulmi is it, Mr. Kim?" L.Joe asked.

Mr. Kim laughed as he opened the lollipop's wrapper and popped it into his mouth. "Of course not, Byunghun. Seulmi doesn't like grape lollipops. kekeke~"

When we arrived at Seulmi's room, I was about to knock when someone pushed me aside...

 

Seulmi's POV

I was sitting in bed, watching tv, being bored out of my mind. The hospital is so boring~

Then the door suddenly swung opened, giving me a mini heart attack. "OMO~" I yelled out and clutched my chest as I saw my mom enter the room. I was about to scold her for scaring me half to death, but she threw her arms around me. "Do... Do you remember me, Seulmi-ah?" She asked. I opened my mouth to answer her, but she turns around to dad and cuts me off. "She doesn't remember her own mother!"

She runs over to dad and starts crying on his shoulder. While he awkardly pats her back, I just facepalmed myself. You didn't even let me answer...

She started sobbing louder. "WHAT DID I DO ? MY ONE & ONLY DAUGHTER JUST FORGOT ABOUT ME ~" she then looks up at dad, "DONGMIN ~ WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO ?!?!"

He gestures over to me and says, "oh I don't know, yeobo. Maybe let her speak first?" He grabs mom by the shoulders and spins her own to me. I raised my hand and waved at her. "I missed you too, eomma," I said. "... You and your overreacting~"

My mom's face brightened up in an instant and ran towards me, squeezing me so tight I had a hard time breathing. "IT'S A MIRCALE ~ SHE REMEMBERS ME ~" she then looked over to dad, "Dongmin, did you hear that? SHE REMEMBERS ME" she exclaimed and then turned back to me. "And you thought she forgot us."

I looked to dad as he shook his head and said, "yeah, I'm the one that said that."

 

Chunji's POV

L.Joe nudged me and I leaned closer to him. "I forgot how funny Seulmi's mom was," he said. I nodded my head and agreed with him. "Me too."

We stood on the side, watching as Mrs. Kim continued talking to Seulmi.

"Once you get discharged, eomma will take care you." She smoothed down Seulmi's hair.

"Aniyo. It's ohkay, eomma. I can take care of myself."

"No. Eomma will take care of her little baby," she said as she pulled Seulmi in for another hug. She looked to her dad and pouted. "Where's oppa when you need him?" She asked him.

"In America," Mr. Kim answered. "With his wife."

"Which I opposed of," Mrs. Kim said.

"But you went along with it in the end and let Seulmi be. She's old enough and plus, she has Raerim, Chunji, and L.Joe" Mr. Kim gestured to L.Joe and I. "Most Chunji~" he coughed and turned away. 

My eyes grew big and my mouth fell open slightly as I looked at Mr. Kim. L.Joe laughed a bit and nudged my arm.

"Mwoh? What was that?" Seulmi asked.

I started looking nervous while Mr. Kim scratched the back of his head and chuckled. "Nothing, sweetie. You hear nothing" He smiled at Seulmi and then looked at me. "Can I talk to you outside?" He asked. I pointed at myself, "Me?" He nodded his head walked outside and I followed. 

Once we got outside, Mr. Kim shut the door and then turned to me. "So she remembers us... And her brother..."

"But she doesn't remember me... Or L.Joe," I frowned and then lowered my head a bit as I looked down at the floor. Such a clean floor~

"Chunji-ah," Mr. Kim spoke up. I looked back up at him. He grabbed onto my shoulders and looked me straight in the eye. "I'm going to give you a piece of advice. So listen carefully~" I nodded and listened intently to what he had to say next...

"Always be happy with Jesus," he said.

I waited for him to continue, but he didn't. I raised an eyebrow. "That's it?" I asked.

He let go of my shoulders and stood up straight. "Ahh~ actually, not really. I was going to say 'don't give up on her yet.' It'll be really foolish to give up on her, especially since you two have been through so much. You guys were inseparable. She'll remember all those times you guys spent together."

I nodded my head. 

"Did I ever tell you about how I met her mother?"

I was about to say yes because I've heard it countless of times, but he cut me off. "Well it all started on a rainy afternoon. The clouds were so grey they created a dark overcast that made it feel like night time." I watched as Mr. Kim slipped into his own world. It was a look I was too familiar with and I knew I wouldn't be able to snap him out of it until he finished his story. So I let him continue.

"I went to the supermarket to buy me and my brother soup... In can form, because we didn't know how to make soup. But anyways, I was busy looking through the various cans of soup, when someone so beautiful-- much more beautiful than Kim Tae Hee and Shin Min Ah combined! -and let me tell you, they're one of the top most beautiful, but that's beside the point- ANYWAYS, that beautiful someone who entered the aisle was none other than my Eunae."

He smiled brightly. "She looked so beautiful, I couldn't take my eyes off her.... Until she looked my way and I averted my gaze back to the cans. I was about to grab one of the cans when she started walking my way. I looked up to get a last look at her, but as I did that I wasn't aware where my hand was going on the shelf and accidentally knocked some cans onto the floor..." He laughed at himself and then continued on.

"And to my surprise, she helped me pick them up and act like nothing ever happened. I awkwardly laughed and apologized for my clumsiness. I thanked her for helping me by buying her coffee and we got to talking. We exchanged numbers that night and then the rest... Is history."

I smiled at Mr. Kim because no matter how many times he tells me that same story, it never gets old. He talks about Mrs. Kim like he just saw her for the first time and was struck by the same feeling. "Thank God for soup cans," I commented.

He laughed at my lame joke. "But what I'm trying to explain is that, if it wasn't for me dropping the soup cans and making a complete fool of myself, I wouldn't have met my wife. These kinds of things happen, so other things can happen. So maybe this accident happened to give you a better opportunity."

I was trying to make something out of Mr. Kim's words. She doesn't remember though, so what opportunity? I was busy thinking when Mr. Kim patted my back. "Anyways I still trust you and L.Joe with my daughter... Mostly you."

I nodded. "Don't worry, Mr. Kim. I'll take care of, Seulmi. She's taken care of me so many times. So now it's my turn." I gave him a reassuring smile. He laughed and ruffled my hair, "Ara~ Now let's go back inside before Eunae drives Seulmi crazy."

"Ohk~" I said and followed him back inside.

 

L.Joe's POV

I was still standing on the side watching Mrs. Kim fight with Seulmi. "But Seulmi~" Mrs. Kim whined, "just let me fix your face and then I'll do your hair." She was trying to apply something on Seulmi's face, but she refused. "No, eomma~ Stop~ I don't feel like wearing makeup in this state."

"But you look awful!" Mrs. Kim cried.

"Thanks, mom. 'Cause that's what every daughter wants to hear from her mom."

Just then the door opened and Mr. Kim and Chunji walked back in. Maybe some sense will be brought back now...

"What's happening?" Mr. Kim asked me. I looked to Seulmi and Mrs. Kim still fighting and then back at Mr. Kim. "Seulmi's face looks awful and Mrs. Kim is trying to fix it." He looked to the two and then brushed it off and sat down.

Then a nurse came in. "Excuse me~ but are you the Seulmi's parents by any chance?" She asks. Mrs. Kim looks up and smiles, "neh. We are. Wae?" She opens the door wider and gestures outside, "we need you guys to sign some papers."

"Ahh~ yes~" Mrs. Kim says and gets up. "Gaja, Dongmin." Mr. Kim gets up as well and follows the nurse outside, leaving me and Chunji with Seulmi.

"So...." I began after a few awkward minutes.

Just then the door swung open, revealing Raerim holding a jello cup with a spoon in . She was too preoccupied with her jello, she didn't notice me and Chunji as she closed her door. "Seulmi-ah, I'm bor--" she looked up and saw me. And if I wasn't mistaken, I think her eyes popped out of their sockets. She abruptly pointed at me. "YOU~"

"Yeah, me... L.Joe."

"Stay away from my best friend!" She yelled and ran to Seulmi, trying to help her escape her room. Seulmi tries to calm her down though, "Raerim, it's ohkay. They're our friends."

Raerim then looked at her like she's gone crazy. "Friend?! Our fri-- Seulmi! HE ALMOST KILLED ME."

I grimaced. "Well nice to see you too, Raerim."

Chunji just smiled on the side. "Just like old times~"


nihkchar: well isn't Seulmi's parents something :3 keke~

cheesebloo: Honestly... Parents like these are rare... xD

nihkchar: anyways, comment/subscribe!