Chapter 2

Suddenly In Love

 

Krystal’s POV

                This might sounded mean, but, why is he smiling like that? But at least I have someone to accompany me to class. It might sound weird, but although I don’t need company for walking to class usually, but he might calms me down when we walked in that hallway. Sometimes I still feel mad about this morning. I just don’t like being called “Soojung” by a stranger, or even friends that I just know. Only close friends and close family can call me “Soojung”. Soojung is a precious name I guess, it has the meaning of something clear, something beautiful, and a crystal- that’s my name. But not the meaning that makes it precious, but that’s what my mom always called me. And I love my mom too much, until I think everything that’s related to her is… really precious.

                “That’s Krystal! And she’s walking with Choi Minho,” a girl yelled. Technically, she’s whispering to her friend. But whispers to me are the same as yelling, especially when it has my name in it.

                “I seriously hate gossiping girls,” Minho said in a low voice, so that only I can hear it.

                “Same here,” I replied.

                “You’ve been quiet all the way, what’s up? Not comfortable walking with me?” he asked.

                “It’s not that, it’s just… I am quiet,”  I answered.

                “Yeah, now I know where you got that nick name from.”

                “Ice Princess?”

                “Yeah, that one. What else you got except that?”

                I froze when he said that. It’s not like it’s unusual, I froze at anyone’s statement. It’s just, I’m thinking in the moment after he said so. I’m actually thinking about what I should say in reply. And that’s new.

                “Are you thinking that what I’m saying actually make sense?” Minho snapped me out. Okay, he’s starting to freak me out. First, he actually made me THINK about what reply I should say. And second, I’m starting to think he can read my mind.

                “I’m not reading your mind, I’m just good at reading people’s expression,” he said, as if he really read my mind. He looked at me. But I don’t look back. He seriously got me thinking of what I should say to make him actually stop guessing about me. Well, it’s not technically a guess if you get it all right.

                “Okay, I’ll shut up,” he said again.

                “Seriously, you can read my mind, don’t you?” I accidentally said so.

                “You reply!” he said in a victorious tone.

                “Did you just win a lottery?” I asked him, in a bit annoyed tone.

                “I thought you don’t do jokes.”

                Tsk, he is really…

                “I don’t,” I said. And for the first time ever, I’m happy to see my class. And especially English class, which technically you just need to sit and pretend to listen. I don’t do subjects like that. I like subjects like sports, something with a movement. The only thing I like about English class is reading. Where I can focus myself on the books, and forget about, well, other people. “Thanks for walking me to class,” I immediately leave him in front of the door and he just froze there. Thankfully he doesn’t follow me.

                When I walked in, I saw an empty seat and sat there, then I open my book and started reading. The seat is somewhere way back in the class, so Mr. Kim won’t notice that I am not paying attention to his lessons. I start reading a few lines, but then suddenly I hear a low voice next to me. “Why reading so serious?” Minho asked me, sitting in a vacant chair next to me. Oh really! How stupid am I, picking an empty seat, which has another empty seat next to it, forgetting the chances that, HE will follow me.

                “Don’t follow me,” I said coldly, without taking my eyes off the book.

                “I don’t, it’s just it’s the only vacant seat in this class,” he said calmly. He rested his back on the chair. I look at him for five seconds and let out a long breathe. He looks back at me and said, “Don’t worry, I won’t bother you. Go continue your reading.”

                “Thank you,” I said sarcastically, then I go back to my book.

                Mr. Kim claps his hand for attention. The whole class is silent and putting their attention to him, well, everyone except me of course. I keep my eyes on the book.  In just five minutes, I feel someone tap my shoulder. I turn my head to Minho. “What now?”

                “Can I borrow a pen?” he said with a smile. I just give him the pen I was holding and I’m back reading my book. “Uh, thanks,” he said shortly. I didn’t even bother listen to that. “Hey, Krystal?” he called me, again.

                “What?” I replied without looking at him.

“Mr. Kim said that we should take notes,” he said.

“So?” I’m still not facing him.

“Why don’t you take notes?”

“I don’t do notes.”

“So you don’t do jokes, don’t do notes, what else?”

Okay, he’s starting to annoy me. “What do you want?” I said in a low voice, finally looking at his face. He smiled, as if from the beginning, he was just trying to get my attention.

“Calm down, I was just asking. I won’t bother you again, sorry,” he said and looked at the board. I think he’s paying attention to Mr. Kim. I will seriously kill him if he bothers me again.

It has been 10 minutes and he has been quiet all along. He takes notes about whatever Mr. Kim is saying. But not any longer after I think he’s finally shut up, “Krystal, want me to take note for you too?”

I sigh. “No, thanks.”

“Oh, then you can borrow my notes later,” he said.

“I’m actually trying to read my book here,” I said, well, raising my voice a bit- or that’s what I think. I feel that all eyes are on me now, also Mr. Kim’s. It must have been pretty loud.

“Ms. Jung? You alright?” Mr. Kim asked me.

“Yeah, I’m fine, sir,” I replied.

“Then please go to the principal’s office,” he said. “Oh, and keep your voice low.”

I grunted and stood up from my seat. I gave a deadly glare to Minho and left the class, unwillingly.

**

Minho’s POV

                Ouch, she glared at me. But suddenly after she left the class, an idea struck my brain.

                I raise my hand. “Mr. Kim?”

                “Yes, Mr. Choi? I hope this is important, because there will be a punishment if it’s not. For cutting my words,” he said. Okay, this is not the best choice. What if I failed to give him a reason that is … reasonable enough for him?

                “I’m not feeling so well, can I go to the nurse’s office?”

                I see Mr. Kim is examining me. I faked a cough so he would buy it.

                “You seemed healthy, but you’re wasting my time. Go,” he said.

                “Thanks, Mr. Kim.”

                I’m out from the class happily and run to the principal’s office. Of course to Krystal! Somehow I found it funny to mess around with her. Just then, I see her walking slowly and looking around.

                “Young Miss, where are you going?” I said, in English, in British English accent. I might have average grades in English, but that doesn’t mean I can’t speak English. I speak English well enough to actually communicate, and well enough to know British accent.

                “None of your business,” Krystal replied in Korean, without stopping her way to Principal’s office.

                “I’m sorry, I don’t understand Korean,” again, in English.

                “Oh, please. What do you really want from me?” she stopped walking finally, and glared at me. Then she started talking about stuffs … in English … which -well, don’t understand.

                “Sorry I got you into trouble,” I said, in Korean of course.

                “I’m sorry, I don’t understand Korean,” she said, in a sarcasm tone. Damn.

                “How can you speak English that well? No wonder you never listen to Mr. Kim,” I started another topic. Krystal sighs and continues walking.

                “I thought you’ve heard of me. The American Ice Princess?”

                “I just heard the Ice Princess part, not the American.” So this girl is from the US to the A, aka USA? “So you were born there?” I asked.

                “Yeah, California exactly.”

                “Los Angeles, eh?”

                “Yeah, thanks for walking me to the principal’s office anyway, you better get going to … anywhere you wanna be,” she said. And she left me just like that. Ouch.

                But… there’s something weird in me. When I see her walking into the office, I feel like I want to follow her. Okay, that was just a feeling of a curious guy. I just wanted to know more about her, since I found her kinda hot, and well, not hot ladies that don’t fall for the charms of Choi Minho. That’s it. But why did I want to know? I never wanted to know much about those girls. Hah, it’s maybe because she’s too cold to get.

                “What are you thinking about?” someone suddenly snapped me out. I look at him, and he looks… unfamiliar.

                “Do I know you?” I raised my eyebrow.

                “Oh, I’m Nichkhun, a new transfer student from Thailand,” he said and offered his hand. I shake his hand and introduce myself. “So, can I ask where’s the administration office is?” he asked.

                “Over there,” I pointed to the room. “It’s next to the teacher’s room.”

                “Oh, thank you,” he said, smiled, and left.

**