Chapter 5

Living With The Derp Squad

 

I open my eyes and they immediately go wide, my breathing cut off as I swallow, hard.

Sehun’s barely a few inches away from me, his heaving breath tickling my neck.  He’s staring into my eyes, humor, smugness, content and confusion all somehow mixed together in the glint of his eyes. Before I can say anything someone else speaks first.

“Sehun are you alright?I saw you fall,” A familiar voice speaks up from down the hall.

If that’s who I think it is I might peel my eyes out any second.

Sure enough, his face pops out around the door and I can see his eyes widen. “Whoa- uh, sorry to interrupt!”

“N-No!” My hands act before I finish my sentence and I shove him off of me, maybe with a little too much force.  His back bangs into the wall next to the door and I stand up quickly.

“Oh my g- I’m so sorry Sehun!” I bow furiously and hold out my hand to pick him up. He shoots me a look,  lips curling up slightly before hauling himself up.

Suddenly I notice the face that Eunhyuk is still watching us with amusement.

“Sehun-ah, you’re so awkward with your girlfriend.” Eunhyuk comments, raising an eyebrow.

My eyes widen, and I shake my head aggressively.

“No! He’s not- No! I’m not his girlfriend! I just ran into him and then he fell on me!”

“Oh. Then are you a friend of Sehun?” Eunhyuk shoots a knowing look at Sehun, who’s leaning against the wall, a stupid, smug smile on his face.

“N-No! I’m Jo-Kai’s sister, Eunji.” I bow and Eunhyuk bows too.

I keep myself from exploding; I mean, Eunhyuk just bowed to me. It's hard not to try screeching like a pterydactyl.

“Oh!" His face clears up and he smiles, "I’m sorry, then. I’m Eunhyuk. Is this your first time in the building?”
“Yeah!”

“Would you like a tour of it then?”

Is Eunhyuk of Super Junior, the dancing machine, anchovy, monkey, best and coolest person ever going to me a tour of-

“Sehun, you should show her around during your lunch break!”

I swallow my thought and mentally slap myself for jinxing the situation.

“N-“

“It’d help you guys get to know each other, too, so you won’t have to stick to Kai while you’re here!” Eunhyuk suggest cheerfully.

I don’t want to sound rude so I just meekly nod, my inner fangirl dying as I dread whenever EXO’s lunch break is.

Someone yells from down the hall and Eunhyuk peeks out of the room and turns back to us. “I have to go now. Nice meeting you Eunji!” He waves at me and nods at Sehun, leaving us alone.

“I, er, I‘m gonna go walk around…”  I mumble and leave the room quickly.

I head down the hall and go wherever the hallways lead me. Urgh. My mind is busy with too many thoughts, I’m getting a head ache.

 

Luhan’s POV

Eunji chose Kris as her favorite. I even gave her the most charming smile ever! Usually girls fall over dying when I do that. 

Eunji leaves the room and I lean my head on Sehun, pretending to snore. Sehun leans his head on mine and joins in with my snoring.

“Shut up you two!” Lay whines, pretending to jab knives into our backs. Sehun opens his eyes and stares at Lay.

“Remove those knives or else they’ll end up in your !”

Lay pouts, pulling out the "knives" and I poke Sehun’s arm.

“Seeeeeeehuunieeeeeeee…”

“What do you want me to get you?”

I grin and hug him tight. “An energy bar!”

“Wasn’t all the food from breakfast enough for you?”

“… I’m still hungry though.”

Sehun rolls his eyes but gets up and heads out to the break room.

I stand up and swing my arm over Kris, slightly getting on my tippy toes to do so. “Ayo duizhang, what’s up?” I say in English and he scoffs, gulping down his water and finishing it pretty quickly.

“You happy that Eunji chose you as her favorite?” I can’t help but ask.

He shrugs again, smiling this time. “She reminds me of Lin.”

I nod, recalling the few times I’ve met Kris’s little sister, Lin. She’s the same age as Eunji, maybe a year younger.

“Why?”

“They’re both really giddy and confident, and they have the same smile. Makes me feel a little less homesick.”

I grin, swinging him back and forth a little. “Aww, big handsome duizhang is getting all emotional!”

He shakes my arm off and punches me lightheartedly, “I have no emotions, thank you very much.”

Sehun enters the room, smiling, energy bar-less. I storm at him, my fist in the air.

“Why you little poophead forgot to get me my energy ba- Wait why are you all smiley?” I drop my fist, staring at the happy maknae in front of me. He's walking with a light skip in his step, his shoulders high and his hands barely in his pocket, a glint in his eyes and a big grin on his face.

"Do your balls hurt?" I ask him and his smile drops, "What's that supposed to mean?"

I shrug, "You look like a little girl."

"No I don't!"

"Who just came out of Disneyland."
"I do not!"

"Do too."

"Do not!"

"Do too."

"Do not."

"Do to-"

“Someone shut SeLu up,” Baekhyun whines, throwing his arms in the air. I stick my tongue out at him and sit next to him on the ground.

“Okay guys, let’s do MAMA again, but this time Chanyeol, step up further during the shouting part. And Kai, be careful of your waist, don’t over work it.” Manager hyung instructs us, and we all start practicing again.

We go through it four times and then EXO-K practices Sorry Sorry a couple times for the Dream Concert, giving EXO-M a chance to relax. I’m jealous of them, that they get to do Dream Concert but at times like this where we get to sit around and watch them practice, it’s nice.

Not for them, of course. But for us.

Eunji comes back into the room sometime around their eighth run through of Sorry Sorry and she sits next to me. EXO-K finishes and manager hyung tells them to sit down. Sehun sits on the other side of me, breathing hard.

“Okay, EXO-M, you guys are doing Happy Camp in a couple weeks, so I want you guys to practice your personal talents.”
“Huh?”
“In the past, Happy Camp has had each member show off a personal talent. So let’s have each of you come up here and do a talent so that you’re not panicking during the recording. Okay? Kris, you go first.”
Kris stands up and walks to the middle of the room. We wait for him to do some kind of talent but he just stands there, looking around.

“Uh… hyung?”

“Yeah?”

“What’s my talent?”

Everyone starts cracking up. That’s funny. Handsome leader duizhang has no talent.

“Well… you’re handsome.”

“That’s not really a talent.”

Manager hyung nods like he’s just realizing this and ponders, before snapping his fingers. “I got it! You can do a catwalk.”

“A… cat walk?”

“You know,  where models strut and do poses!”

We all start laughing again, and Kris stares us all down.

“Okay, fine. Stop laughing!”

It’s hard not to laugh when our talentless leader is going to do a catwalk.

Kris walks to the end of the room and our manager blares some loud pop music, and Kris starts strutting across the room, his expression attempting to be that of a charismatic god. He stops when he gets close to us and poses, slightly smiling.

I turn to see Eunji’s reaction and her jaw’s dropped, her cheeks painted a rosy color. I look at the members and they’re also equally surprised by Kris’s sudden turn of personality.

The music ends and Kris stands normally. “Was that okay?”

Manager hyung seems just as blown away as all of us.  “Yeah, that was good. Lay! Your turn.”

Lay stands up and Kris takes his spot on the floor.

“Can I dance?” Lay asks, and our manager nods, starting some music for him. Darn, I was going to dance. I’ll have to do something else now then. Immediately when the song starts, Lay his lips and loses the smile, his eyes resembling a tiger ready to attack its prey. He’s an impressive dancer, popping his arms and flipping himself up from his feet.

We clap when he finishes, and Chen goes up next. He starts singing part of What is Love, and I suddenly feel something heavy on my shoulder. I turn my head and see Eunji’s head resting on my shoulder, her eyes closed. Did Chen just put her to sleep?!

Her bangs fall out into her eyes and I tuck them behind her ear, her eyes fluttering as my fingers skim her cheeks.

“LUHAN'S TURN," Kai shouts from the other side of the room, glaring me down. NO, He mouthes and I laugh rolling my eyes. My laughter wakes up Eunji  and she bolts up from my shoulder. She seems to notice where her head was and her cheeks stain with red again, her eyes not meeting mine. I smile at her shyness and stand up.

“I’ll do… aegyo!” A light bulb lights up in my head. Fans always like that.

Manager hyung nods and I bring a fist up to my cheeks, pouting.

“Bbuing bbuing!” I say, rolling my fists.

Tao rolls his eyes. “My aegyo’s better.”

I watch Eunji, who’s blushing even harder. Geez, this girl blushes a lot doesn’t she? It’s cute, though.

Something I won't repeat or think about in front of Kai since he seems to be over protective of her.

I stare at her and she stares at her lap, me in full-aegyo mode.

“Xiumin's turn,” Sehun shouts.  He nods his head for me to sit back down and I do so, fixing my hair a little. Eunji clears and looks forward and I watch, amused from the corner of my eye.

Xiumin does some steamed bun aegyo. I swear, that boy is looking more and more like a bun every day.

Tao does wushu, transforming from cute aegyo boy to scary demon boy who could kick off your head any second.

“Okay! I think that’s everyone. Go take your lunch break, come back in forty five minutes.”

I stand up and stretch my body, reaching for the sky. I feel like Buzz Lightyear.

“Eunji, let me show you where the food is,” Kai says, motioning for her to follow. “We’re going to the green room, anyone want to come?”

Kai stands up and leads Eunji out of the hall, me, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Sehun and Kris following them. Kai starts explaining the different cafeteria rooms, the green one being on this floor and being the best of them all. They have huge tables of biscuits and pastries and things for breakfast and have soups, salads, sandwiches during lunch and dinner time. Except you’re only allowed to have a certain amount of stuff a day so that you don’t get off the diet you’re assigned. You have to scan your card for the glass surrounding the food to unlock, and you open a small door and take one of whatever is inside. There’s like a calorie counter thing on the cards, and you can’t go over the limit, since it stops unlocking the food door thingies once you reach the limit.

Lucky Eunji can have as much food as she wants since SM doesn’t have control over her.

Sehun suddenly runs up ahead and talks to Kai. Lay’s telling me his dream from last night so I can’t hear what Sehun and Kai are talking about but Kai suddenly backs up and Sehun leads Eunji off down another hallway.

Kai joins me and Lay and I look at him quizzically. “Where are they going?”

Lay stops telling me his dream and sighs, “Fine, I’ll tell Chanyeol my dream. He’ll listen.” He sulks and walks off.

“Sehun said Eunhyuk wanted him to show Eunji around or something so they could get closer, rather than me stick to her, something like that.” He shrugs, and I eye him curiously.

Why am I suspicious of the little maknae?

“Aren’t you… a little scared of what might happen to Eunji?”

“What do you mean?”

“Sehun’s, you know, kind of a cocky bastard sometimes, he might insult Eunji.”

Kai’s eyes widen and his jaw drops. “I didn’t think of that! Should I go with them?”

“No, I’ll go!” The words spill out of my mouth before I can say anything. “Do you know where they went?”

“Yeah, down that hall.” He points to a hallway behind us and I nod, rushing off. I hope Sehun doesn’t insult her or make her feel bad. He would do that, and he has done that to people on their first meetings.

I hurry around the corner and my feet skid to a stop, my jaw dropping as I stare at what’s happening just a little down the hallway.

No… way…