Chapter 44 [re-up]

Living With The Derp Squad

 

“Where’d you come from?” I ask, and he smirks, tsking.

“We always meet at this time! Did you already forget?” Bae thumps my head lightly and I roll my eyes.

His smile tightens as he looks at the flattened box on the ground and I follow his gaze, sighing. Well, there goes D.O’s and my hard work.

I bend over, picking it up and toss it in the trashcan without hesitating. I don’t want to give Snoopy a crappy cake that’s been abused and trampled all over by a shallow-headed, pathetic excuse of a human being.

Bae doesn’t seem to get this, his eyes widening as he slowly walks over to me. “Why’d you do that?!”
“It’s probably destroyed, by now. I don’t want to give it to Snoopy if it’s destroyed.”

He looks down, seeing my point. Raising an eyebrow, he takes my hand in his, spreading out the fingers that I didn’t realize were still tightly carving into my palm, little engraved marks from my nails now weaved within the wrinkles of my skin.

Stupid Yoomi.

“Don’t hurt yourself just because you’re pissed,” Bae says, his lips in a straight line.

I shrug, the anger inside of me broiling as I think of everything I can do to torture Yoomi.

I wonder where I should start…

 

“Eunji? You’re back already?” Kai frowns mid-stretch as I enter their dance room.

 I walk to the couch without stopping. “I need to get my money to go to the store.”

“Why?”
“I need to buy some cupcakes or something for Sn-Taeyang,” I mumble, fishing through my wallet which I left down here.

Kai walks over, sitting down on the couch. “Didn’t you make him a cake?”

“He ate it that quickly?” Sehun huffs, sitting beside Kai.

I shake my head, my hold on my wallet tightening slightly. That idiotic, stupid .

“That one got, er, ruined.”

The two maknae’s eyes widen, staring at me. “Did you throw it at a wall or something?!” Kai jokes.

I wish it were that simple.

“It got stepped on.”

“Who stepped on it?” Luhan jumps out of nowhere, sitting cross legged on the floor by Kai’s feet.

Hm, I think it’d be easier if I just took my wallet rather than awkwardly shoving change in my pocket with arms full of bags.

“Yoomi,” I mutter, shutting my wallet and looking up. All three of them have shut up, their jaws dropped. Even Eunhyuk and Taemin have turned towards me from the center of the room.

“Chang Yoomi?” Eunhyuk asks, coming over. I nod, and his eyes widen.

“The y one?!” Taemin squeaks, and every head whips towards him. Eunhyuk punches his arm lightly.

“No swearing, but…” He looks at me, frowning. “Why’d she do that to you?”

I shrug helplessly. “I dunno, but she tripped me and then stepped on the box and…” I shrug again. “Now I’m going to the store to get something else for Taeyang.”

Kai stands up, crossing his arms. “Don’t go alone!”

“Why not?”
“You might be kidnapped!”

“Ha, ha ha ha! Good joke.” I turn towards the door. “I’m going now.”

I hear some scruffling from behind but ignore it as I head out, jabbing at the elevator. I get in and press the first floor button, gasping when a foot slams itself between the two closing doors.

The doors open again and Sehun steps in, leanings against the wall next to me. He doesn’t say anything, acting as if he didn’t just squish his foot to get in the elevator as well.

Might as well, ya know, ask why the hell he decided to hop into the elevator.

“Where are you going?” I ask.

He shrugs. “Where are you going?”

“The store?”

“I’m going to the store too.”

I raise an eyebrow, stepping out of the elevator once it pings open with Sehun following. “What for?”
“What are you getting?” He asks.

“Tampons.”

“Me to-“ He stops in his steps, his cheeks blushing slightly. I can’t help but laugh. He looks so flustered and awkward. I’ve never seen him like this before, it’s… cute.

“I’m kidding,” I say between laughs and he scoffs, walking ahead of me. I find myself hurrying after him, catching up to his fast pace.

It’s weird. A minute ago he was trying to catch up with me. Now I’m going after him.

“What are you actually getting then?” He asks as I reach him.

I sigh, knowing I won’t really be able to ditch him. “Cupcakes for Snoopy.”

“Who?”

“Taeyang.”
Sehun nods, tilting his head slightly. “Why ‘Snoopy’?”

“He looks like Snoopy!” I exclaim, throwing out my arms. “When he smiles? Can’t you tell?!”

He stares at the ground and finally says, “I think your car accident knocked your brain out.”

He nods, as if agreeing with himself and I elbow his stomach playfully. He bends over as if in complete pain, letting out a long moan. “I’m teeeeellling on you,” He whines and I elbow him again and again and again.

 

We leave the building and he holds the door open for me. It’s bright outside, not too cold but the sky is clear, a beautiful deep blue hanging above us. I shield my eyes from the sun and Sehun does as well as a voice comes out of nowhere.

“Eunji, oh my god!”

I gasp and look across the street, a black van parked next to the sidewalk. My vision is slightly blinded from the sun yet I can vaguely see a figure rushing across the street. Sehun’s completely immobile but I take a few steps forward, trying to make out who I think it might be.

Sure enough, Daehyun’s making his way towards me, his expression contorted into that of extreme pain. His eyebrows are furrowed and he stops in front of me, his eyes scanning my various injuries.

“I came to check on you because I saw in the news that one of Kai’s relatives was injured, and I was hoping it wouldn’t be you, but…” His shoulders slump and he grabs my shoulders, looking into my eyes, “Are you okay?”

I stare at him, a million different feelings flooding through me.

 

I couldn’t tell who it was because the alley was dark, like you saw and they punched me and smashed the bottle against my head. I tried to stop them but I couldn’t and they punched me again. They threw me against the wall and I just fell and tried acting like I was passed out so they’d stop hitting me. And they were about to leave but they walked back up to me and kicked me in the leg and punched me in the stomach and then they whispered, ‘Don’t interrupt our date next time.’

And I think you know who it was.

 

I free myself from his grasp and take a few steps back, bumping into Sehun. I look at him and his expression is dead, no clear emotions showing but his lips are pulled back in a tight line. He meets my eyes and softens slightly, searching my eyes for something.

“Eunji, are you okay?” Daehyun repeats, taking my wrist. I rip it out of his grasp and his eyebrows furrow, “What’s wrong?” He asks, completely ignoring Sehun’s presence.

“Why’d you beat him up?” I ask, voice rigid. All anger from when I Sehun first told me what happened suddenly floods back through me. I had completely forgotten about Daehyun, to be honest. I kind of liked it that way.

His eyes widen and he glances at Sehun, “What do you mean?”
I move closer to him, my fists balled, “You, you beat him up in the middle of the night! You hit him in the head with a beer bottle! You , why would you do that?”

He grits his teeth, his eyes suddenly ablaze, “I, I didn’t! Why would I do that, huh? Why do you think I’d do that?!”

“I don’t know!” I scream, glaring him down. “Why did you?!”

"Jesus, I come to check up on you and you just blame me out of nowhere for something I didn't do?!" He grits. I glance at Sehun and Daehyun catches it, “He’s lying,” Daehyun’s voice softens to a scary point that it has a quiet edge, a stabbing point in every single syllable, “If he blamed me for something or told you something, he’s lying.”

“I didn’t lie,” Sehun suddenly speaks up from next to me, “You knocked me out in that alley.”

“I DID NOT!” Daehyun suddenly screams, throwing his arms up in the air. His nose twitches and my jaw drops slightly.

He’s lying.

He actually did beat Sehun up.

“You’re lying,” I mumble, staring at him, “Your nose still twitches when you lie. You, you’re lying,” I repeat, slightly in awe of the fact that it’s really true.

His shoulders droop slightly and his expression drops, his eyes boring into mine. “Fine,” he says abruptly, “Believe him. Believe the little prick and don’t believe me, your first boyfriend, the one who was always there for you, the one who has always taken care of you, the one-”

“If you always take care of her then where have you been for the past few weeks?” Sehun interrupts and I feel tears begin to well up in my eyes.

Daehyun falters, shaking his head, “Okay, okay. This isn’t worth it,” He looks at me, “If you decide to believe me then you know where I am.”

And with that he storms off, entering the black van and driving off without looking back once.

A tear falls over and slides down my cheek as I watch the car disappear down the street.

A thumb swipes at my cheek and I turn my head to Sehun smiling down at me, wiping away my few tears.

“Let’s go get those cupcakes,” he says softly, pulling on my hand and leading me down the street. I smile, a warm feeling growing inside.

 

 

Sehun helps me pick the cupcakes since he’s known Snoopy for years, and we end up choosing little cupcakes that have a bunch of different adorable expressions on them. Some are pouting and some are smiling sweetly. I bought two cases of them in cakes Yuckmi comes out of nowhere again and Sehun decides forcefully that he will come with me to give the cupcakes to Snoopy.

He didn’t mention anything about Daehyun, which made me happy. He joked around a lot, on a lighter tone than usual and it was nice to see that he was smiling freely as we walked around the store. He was obviously trying to cheer me up, and it most definitely worked.

We exit the elevator and head into the break room and I pray to life that they’re still there. They probably are, since they have a free class right now and they don’t usually go anywhere unless they’re showing me around at this time. And Bae told me when I told him that I’d go and buy something else that they’d stay behind so they better! Or else… dun dun dun.

Low and behold, Snoopy’s sitting at one of the tables, grinning (like usual) as he munches on a cinnamon roll. Bae’s eating one from the buffet as well and Jaejin’s taking selcas of himself making handsome yet arrogant faces.

I thump Jaejin’s forehead, and he sits up straight, frowning. “What was that for?!”

“You have prince disease so don’t try making up any excuses for taking pictures of yourself.”

Bae and Sehun erupt into laughter and Snoopy holds out his hand for a high five, which I return. Jaejin just pouts, sulking into his seat as he puts away his phone.

I put the box of cupcakes onto a table and put my hands on Snoopy’s shoulders from behind. He leans his head back, grinning stupidly at me.

“It’s my birthday!” He chirps and I chuckle, rolling my eyes.

“Happy Birthday young padawon. You’re now a year older. I should start calling you oldie or something now.”

He looks at me in horror and I smile, turning to the cupcakes. I take one and stick a candle that I bought in it, while Sehun lights it. I take it and put it in front of Snoopy and his smile widens, clapping as he sighs heartily.

“You got me cupcakes?!” He cries, and we start singing Happy Birthday. I feel like I’m at a four year olds birthday party, singing a giddy and energetic child Happy Birthday while they enforce the rule that they must have the first bite, or else.

He blows out the candle once he’s done and stares at the cupcake, removing the candle.

“Alright,” He sighs, sitting up straight. “Just get it over with.”
Puzzled, I turn to Sehun who smirks evilly. He nods his head, pursing his lips as if to say, You’ll figure out in a sec.

I nod and watch as he takes Snoopy by the back of his head and slams it against the cupcake, Bae and Jaejin bursting out laughing. I watch in confusion, not knowing what to take of the situation. Either Sehun’s a jackass or it’s a tradition.

Hopefully the latter, seeing as him being a jackass would kinda .

But when Snoopy lifts his head off of the cupcake, which now is smothered all over his face, he’s grinning. He looks at me, raising an eyebrow.

“Noona,” he says, all childness gone as he sounds suddenly manipulative, “Do you have more cupcakes?” I nod and hand him another, which he takes and chucks at Sehun as hard as he can. The frosted treat lands on Sehun’s chest, sliding down his shirt until it falls off completely, leaving a trail of frosting on his shirt.

I fight back a laugh, Sehun looking utterly horrified. Suddenly the corner of his lip rises and he grabs another cupcake, throwing it at Snoopy. It lands on his shoulder and slides off as well, and before I realize what’s happening, there’s a full on cupcake war in the break room.

I somehow got dragged in and hit in the hair and that pissed me off enough to set me on fire. Now all five of us are covered in frosting, the room getting the worst part of it all. There’s left over cupcake cake parts all over the floor, frosting smeared on the walls, everywhere.

Best part is, the war’s not over.

Bae flings one at me and I throw one at Jaejin, who lets out a girly yelp as he chucks one at Snoopy. I throw another at Sehun and he chuckles, before advancing towards me. I take another cupcake and throw it at him, but he ducks just as it almost hits his face.

A high pitched shriek comes from the door and we all hold our breathes, dying to let any kind of laughter escape.

Sehun ducked, which means the cupcake went past him.
(No .)

But behind him was the door, and in the door, standing at the perfect time, was Yoomi.

The cupcake hit her right on the borderline of her forehead and hair, getting plenty frosting in her perfectly styled hair as well as the cupcake sliding down her face. She shakes her head and flicks it off her head, grimacing the whole time. She dramatically sticks her tongue out, disgusted, wiping at her forehead to rid herself of the ‘horrible’ stuff covering her face.

Snoopy lets out a snort and immediately clamps a hand over his mouth, giggling behind his hand. Sehun releases a laugh and suddenly we’re all laughing, Yoomi sighing with an exasperated “UGHH” before storming her way out of the room.

Well that was amazing.

 Great thing is, that was on accident.