Not What I Thought I Was

Monster

 

I stumble into the room, blinking as my eyes adjust to the brightness of it. It’s huge, with gray walls and floor. My mind races, and my eyes go immediately to a huddled person in the corner. My eyes adjust and I see the blonde head, and it clicks. Daesung!

“Daesung!” I exclaim, running at him. He doesn’t move, and I place my hand gently on his shoulder. He jerks up violently, eyes wide. It takes him a moment to speak.

“Minji,” he stares at me in disbelief, eyeing me, confused.

“Minji…!” He exclaims suddenly, wrapping his arms around me. I hug him back tightly, heart aching. We stand like that, clinging to each other, for several moments. He doesn’t move, and I don’t ever want to let him out of my grasp again. I can hear his heart beating wildly.

“What are you doing here,” he orders suddenly, pulling away to look at me. It’s not a question.

“I’m here to see you! To save you!” I smile weakly at him, and he shakes his head quickly. His face hardens.

“No, no, Minji, you can’t be here. You need to leave!” He yells. His eyes are cold and foreign, and I hate feeling like a stranger to him. I can see how his eyes search the room around us, terrified, even though we’re the only two in the room.

He’s never yelled at me before. It hits me the wrong way, and my eyes well up with tears. “I…I just want to help you.” I murmur weakly.

He turns back to me and takes in my tears and his eyes swim with sudden worry. Pulling me close, he takes my head in his warm hands and kisses me lightly on the forehead reassuringly. I cling to him. I can’t help but worry that every time I keep hugging him will be my last, and I can’t let that happen.

“Are you okay?” I finally whisper, even though I know the answer.

“You can’t be here, they’ll hurt you,” he says, gentler this time, avoiding my question.

“Hurt me? How do you know?” I ask suddenly. “Daesung, have they hurt you?!” His muscled frame looks unharmed physically. I expected to see him beaten and bruised, but there isn’t a scratch on him, although his frantic eyes tell a different story.

I search his face wildly, but he stares blankly at the ground.

“Why are you here?” He asks again, eyebrows pinched together worriedly. He keeps repeating himself, I notice. No matter what he says, I know he’s not okay. They’ve done something to his brain.

“You can’t stay here, you’re not something that needs to be locked up! I’m going to get you out!” I exclaim, smiling encouragingly. He eyes me, one eyebrow raised. Sighing, he runs a hand through his hair.

“Apparently…I’m not what you thought I was. Or what I thought I was.” My mind goes silent for a second as I try and understand.

“What do you mean?” I ask hesitantly, and he looks away. A moment of silence passes before he speaks.

“They’re right about me,” he whispers finally, “Minji, when they called me a freak and a monster…” His eyes glisten with unspoken tears, and he stares at me. I can see the pain in those eyes, and my insides twist in rage that he actually believes the crap these insane doctors are telling him.

“They’re lying!” I respond urgently, not sure if I’m talking to him or myself. He stares, pained, at the floor again.

 Looking around suddenly, he wraps his arms around me protectively. The door barges open and the two guards from before advance towards us to take me away. I don’t want to leave. I won’t. Daesung holds me tight, and I ache in wanting to never leave him again.

“I love you,” Daesung whispers in my ear, giving me one last squeeze before stepping away from me.

The guards grab my arms and pull me towards the door, but I fight against them wildly. I cry desperately out to Daesung, but he just stares at me with that pained expression. They did this to him. They’ve convinced him that he’s a freak.

I cry softly to myself as the guards lock the door behind us. His words echo in my ear.

“I love you too,” I whisper to the door, “and I will get you out…

Somehow.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UGH finallllllllllllllly we're actually talking to Daesung!! And finallllllllllllllllllly I'm writing. *shame to me*

50 subscribers! :D

Love you guuuuys ^-^