Someone To Watch For Me

Monster

 

The figure smashed to the floor, and I checked a box on the sheet. He wasn’t getting any weaker. The past four months of watching him crush these supposedly ‘unbreakable’ white mannequin-like figures, and it seemed like he was only getting stronger. I press a button, and the broken figure on the ground is swept away by a machine, and a new figure is put in its place.

“Go,” I order into the small microphone, and the specimen is suddenly across the room, and the figure is shattered. Shaking my head, I check another box. He was going to need a whole new set of tests. He stares at me with those piercing green-blue eyes, and I avert my gaze. I turn to leave, pressing my finger to a panel to open the door.

“Cho Hee,” he addresses me, and I stop. He knows my name. This can’t be good. Would this count as a security breach? I turn around, and he’s directly in front of me, and even though we’re in two different rooms, a shiver runs through me. I stare back at him, waiting for him to continue.

“Am I healing?” He asks, and he looks genuinely upset. I know the story behind specimen T-0-P, and the fact that he was once one of our doctors here at base scares me. But I know that he truly doesn’t care. He doesn’t want to get better. He just wants to get out.

“No, you’re getting worse,” I state coldly, taking a step towards the clear and hard material that serves as a divider.

“Maybe,” he murmurs, “I just need more help.” His eyes grow inviting and seductive, and I can’t look away. I just stare back at him, totally lost. My hand reaches out toward the palm scanner. Open it, you can help him, a voice in my mind whispers. He needs your help.

““All guards report to Training Site A, repeat; all guards to Training Site A,” the intercom interrupts suddenly. I turn and hurry out, hearing specimen T-0-P let out a loud and frustrated snarl. My hands shake slightly, and I fight to get his gaze out of my mind.

I fall in step with a coworker as I hurry down the hallway towards Training Site A.

“What’s going on?” I whisper to him, and two guards fall instep beside me.

“New specimen,” one of them answers. My coworker nods, opening the door to the room that overlooks Training Site A. I take a seat and lean forward, looking into the vast room.

About a dozen guards surround a high school boy, blonde, who’s backed himself into a corner of the training room. He’s glancing around wildly. I squint, and blink in surprise. His eyes are dark, like us humans. They aren’t the reptile-like, bright colors that our specimens usually have. He must not have completely changed over yet. The door to the observatory room opens and closes behind me. I turn to see who it is, and stand up quickly and bow.

“Doctor Bu,” I address my boss respectfully.

“What are you doing in here, Cho?” She snaps, and I eye her flustered-looking face.

“Just leaving,” I say quickly, but she puts an arm out to stop me.

“No, stay,” she orders, “I need someone to watch for me.”

I open my mouth to ask what it is that I’m watching, but before I can say anything, Doctor Bu is gone. I’m alone in the observatory room now. A deep thump shudders through the walls of the building, and I look down into the training room. The boy is on the other side of the training site. All of the guards are on the ground. There’s a lot of blood.

The boy stares down at his hands, face twisted in sadness, agony, and confusion. His frame shakes violently, and he falls to the floor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okaaaaaaaay, so this chapter is from the P.O.V. of a labworker at the facility place. Hope you guys like! More should be up later...