Did You Know Him?

Monster

 

I can’t help but smile to myself as I sit in the car on the way home, replaying the day’s events in my mind. Not that I would ever tell my mom, but so far I really liked going to work with her.

Multiple questions roll around in my mind, but I bite my tongue to keep from saying anything. I’m afraid that if mom thinks I like going to work with her too much she’ll make me stay home. I’m supposed to be being punished, after all.

I sneak a glance over at her, and it seems like I’m not the only one who’s happier. She seems more…relaxed? Humming softly along with the radio, she pulls into the driveway. Maybe…she enjoys taking me to work with her?

My eyes widen suddenly as I unbuckle my seatbelt. What if the only reason I’m going to work with her is so she can see if I’m turning into one of them? A…monster? I eye my mom warily and shake my head. They aren’t monsters. I’d rather be one of them than one of her.

She continues humming and opens the front door, letting us both in. I realize then that we haven’t said a word to each other all day. It’s like she’s a mother I was forced to have instead of my real one. And I don’t even mind.

“What would you like for dinner?” She asks, causing me to jump. I’d become far too wrapped up in the silence, and her soft question had sounded extremely loud and jolting.

“Oh, uhm, I don’t care,” I reply quickly, regaining my head. She nods, opening the fridge and pulling stuff out and placing it onto the counter.

“Who all did you see today?” She asks curiously. I realize then that this is what my mom does for a living, so she must enjoy it. I remember when I was little she would always tell me that she was so excited to tell me about her job once I grew older. I sit down in one of the kitchen stools behind the counter.

“N..N+…,” I struggle, trying to remember Seungri’s specimen name.                                                                      

“N+3xRx,” she finishes easily, smiling. I stare at her smile for a second. Why does it look so different? It seems so…

Real.

“Yeah, him,” I murmur.

“What did you think?” She asks, and I can see the curiosity in her face.

“He was different…then, the uh, blonde one. He seemed happier.”

She nods thoughtfully, stirring. “We, all the employees at the facility, really like his attitude. He’s definitely a bright soul,” she chuckles.

“Do you…ever feel attached to them, mom?” I ask slowly, and she gives a small sigh.

“I try not to. They aren’t human, so attachments could easily be dangerous. But they were human once,” she tells me, “I try and have a helping attitude towards them, and the more they accept it, the deeper it grows.”

She sounds so scientific, I blink in surprise. A moment of silence passes before she speaks again.

“Who else did you see?”

Oh god. This was what I’d been dreading. I know I couldn’t lie to her about TOP, but the way he talked about her…I was scared about how she’d react when I mentioned him.

“Daesung,” I murmur, and she looks like she wants to correct me on his name, but she doesn’t. I’m grateful.

“And uh…T-0-P…,” I say even quieter, and her stirring slows.

“Ah,” she muses, and I continue carefully.

“He asked me who I was…said he knew a girl with my name…and that he loved her mother very much.”

I jump as the metal spoon hits the ground with a clang. My eyes are huge and I watch my mom’s jaw work back and forth. She runs a hand through her hair.

“What did you say to him?” She asks suddenly, and I blink.

“Uh, just that I wasn’t the girl he thought I was,” I tell her quickly, and she seems to relax.

“Good,” She mutters sharply, getting a new spoon, not bothering to pick up the one on the floor. I slide out of my seat quietly, going around the counter and picking up the spoon, watching her carefully.

“I saw his picture, on the wall,” I murmur as I wash off the spoon and put it away. Mom doesn’t respond, so I continue, “Did he…work there before he ‘changed’? Did you know him?”

Mom lets out a small, sad chuckle. “I told the janitors to take that picture down,” She muses quietly. A moment of silence ticks by before she continues with a nod.

“I knew him. I knew Seunghyun very well. He actually came over a few times, and I cooked for him, when you were younger. You adored him,” She smiles sadly.

“I didn’t think I could love again after your father passed away,” she murmurs quietly, “but Seunghyun definitely changed my mind. He was all I ever thought about, besides you, of course. And then suddenly he became very distant, and serious. I was going to ask him what was going on, and he got taken away. And I understood.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heyyyyyyyyy guys! Hope you like this chapter! I love reading your comments btw! ;D

*lets take a moment to self advertise* If you haven't read it, heres my BAP fanfiction. :D