Nightmares

Monster

 

Time starts to drift by painstakingly slowly. I haven’t been to see Daesung since his ITB test. Mom got a call from the school asking about me, and we both realized that I should probably get an education. Despite my multiple bargaining angles, she insisted on my return to school.

Everyone ignored me at this point. Daesung and I were old news, and the world moved on. I sat at my desk from class to class I sat alone, doing enough to get by and remain unnoticed. My mind was constantly wandering to the fascinating people I knew back at the facility. To Daesung.

My mom and I got along wonderfully. It was as if…

How do I put it? It was like hating each other had gotten so utterly exhausting, and we realized how alike we were, and we just…didn’t fight. Sometimes I would go to sleep at night with a smile on my face because of how much fun we’d just had laughing at the dinner table, and be shocked by how different everything was.

Mom told me we could go see Daesung on Saturday. She said this on Tuesday.

Now, Friday night, I lie in bed, dreading the hours that separate us. Lately, the only thing that put apart night from day was the nightmares I would have.

Each night I would try to stay awake longer and longer, and avoid the terrifying images, but eventually my tired body and mind would pull me to sleep.

It was always the same. I would be behind a glass wall, watching, unable to help, as Daesung and the other four would be running through towns and schools, ripping apart people and buildings. They were totally unaware of me screaming at them, begging them to stop.

The dream always ended with me falling forward, after trying to bang on the glass wall and it disappearing suddenly. I would push myself up and they would all be staring at me, eyes reptilian and deadly.

It was going to be a long night.