Still Dreaming

Monster

 

I wake up in a cold sweat. Mom’s not home, she had dropped me off and gone right back to work. I don’t remember falling asleep. I just remember staring at the clock, numb and unfeeling, the ice pack mom had given me melting onto the carpet. I had dropped it and left it there. I was trying not to think, not to remember, not to wonder. Without any thoughts, it was too quiet.

The visions from the nightmare I’ve just escaped flash before my eyes, and I hastily turn on the bedside lamp. I sit there, out of breath, bathed in the dim yellow-orange light of the lamp beside me. That last nightmare was so real, so vivid, that when my eyes fall on the dark figure standing by the far wall, I’m sure I’m still dreaming.

All I can make out is his face, lit dull orange by the lamp. His eyes glow a reptilian magenta.

It’s the blonde boy.

He stares at me, cold and unmoving. The only thing I can think to do is stare back. Why defend myself? This is another dream. I can be brave. I can win this one.

He takes small, deliberate steps, slowly making his way towards me. He reaches the bed and crawls up on all fours. When he stops, face a mere inch from mine, my heart is racing dangerously. His sharp, narrowed gaze keeps me frozen in place, chest rising and falling quickly.

“You gonna scream or run or somethin’?” He asks, eyebrows lowered. His eyes search my face, and I gulp hard.

“Why would I?” I manage, trying to sound as steady as I can. His cool breath hits my face, and a chill run down my spine. The past nightmares of him ripping apart people on the street pop up behind my eyes. “This is just a dream.”

Humor flashes through his gaze, and I watch as he reaches one pale hand toward me. It seems to glow in the light. His soft, cool fingers graze my arm and he-

He pinches me.

“Ow!” I exclaim, stumbling off the bed. “Why would you-“

I stop, one hand on the arm where he pinched me. I can feel the ghost of his touch, and it hits me. He pinched me, and I felt the pain of it. This is not a dream. My eyes widen with realization and slowly look up to meet his.

From the bed he grins wickedly.

“Hi there.”

Then I screamed.