Betrayal

Monster

 

I close my locker door, my mind replaying yesterday’s adventure for the millionth time.

“Minji?” Daesung asks, sticking his blonde head in front of me.

“Huh?” I snap back to reality as the bell rings.

“You okay?” He eyes me as we walk to homeroom, and I nod in reply. We take our seats, right beside each other, and JinYun, a girl with big s and a small face, bounces up to Daesung’s desk. I’ve never really liked JinYun, and she’s never really liked me.

She’s got the hot’s for every boy at school, and Daesung is the only one that doesn’t flirt back with her. She can’t understand why he isn’t interested. And frankly, I can’t either.

“Good morning, Daesunggie.” She bats her eyelashes and he smiles politely at her.

“Good morning, JinYun,” he replies, and she giggles. She pulls a cute pouty face and leans over Daesung’s desk.

 I hold back the urge to vomit.

“Will you sit with me today at lunch?” She whines softly, and he turns to me. Startled, I smile awkwardly.

“Can Minji come?” He asks, grinning brightly and turning back to JinYun. She runs her eyes up and down me, pulling a face. She scoffs, and struts off.

I’m not surprised. She’s probably jealous that I can get closer to him than she can, and I don’t have to flaunt my mammary glands.

“Was that a no?” Daesung turns to me, one eyebrow shooting up.

 I can’t help but laugh at his innocent expression. He may be handsome, manly Daesung on the inside, but on the inside he’s just so young and guilt-free, it’s hard not to love him.

“It was a ‘no’ for me, not a ‘no’ for you. You can still go sit with her.” I tell him lightly, and he shakes his head slowly. I don’t know why I’m pressing this. The last thing I want is for him to leave me to go sit with s McGee. Maybe I’m just prodding because I know he would never do that.

“Nah, I’d be far too bored.” He replies, and I smile to myself.

“Thanks, Daesung, but honestly, you should get a girlfriend. It can’t be healthy for you to hang out with me all the time,” I state, and he rolls his eyes.

 It used to scare me how girls flirted with him and he didn’t notice. My mom probably would’ve suggested that he was gay, but then again, mom’s never met Daesung.

“Shut up with that talk, will you?” He says jokingly, and I grin.

“Come on,” I prod, “you can tell me. Who’s captured little Daebaby’s heart?” I emphasize the cheesy nickname, and he gives me the Are-You-Kidding-Me look.

“Daebaby?” He asks, and I fake surprise.

“Daesung, are you stalling?! You do like someone!” I exclaim, and he stares at his desk with a small smile. I push my desk closer to his, staring expectantly. He grins with that gorgeous grin of his, not meeting my eyes, and opens his mouth. I lean closer, ears prepared to hear familiar classmates names.

Before he can say anything, the door to the classroom bangs open. In marches dozens of army-clad men, carrying large guns.

They’re wearing all black, with helmets with eye shields. Students shriek and fly out of their way as they move to surround something. My heart is beating wildly in my ears amongst the screaming and yelling, and I look up to see them surrounding Daesung and I’s pushed together desks, their guns pointed at him. My first thought is that there’s someone behind us.

I’ve never done anything bad enough for a SWAT team to infiltrate my school, and Daesung wouldn’t hurt a fly.  I wrap my arms around him, terrified. The movement stops suddenly and the classroom becomes quiet. All of the soldiers are surrounded around our two desks in a circle, guns clicking quietly. One soldier speaks up.

“PLEASE PUT YOUR HANDS UP AND STAND AWAY FROM THE DESK!” He booms, and I turn terrified to Daesung.

“A-Are they talking to you?!” I squeak, and he glances wildly from gun to gun. He obviously has as much of an idea of what’s going on as I do.

“STAND UP.” The soldier booms, and Daesung shoots out of the seat. I cling to his shirt.

“What do they want with you, Dae?!” I ask, and he turns to me, eyes wide, not knowing what to say.

“LET GO OF THE HOSTAGE AND MOVE.” The soldier motions to the spot next to him with a quick flick of the gun. Daesung slips away from me, shuffling slowly towards the soldier. He looks…sad. Not guilty, but sad.

“H-Hostage?” I wonder aloud, watching them put advanced-looking hand cuffs on Daesung. He hangs his head, staring at the floor. His blonde hair covers his face, and I rush up to him and wrap my arms around him.

“I’ll find you,” I promise him, “I’ll rescue you.” I search his face, and he just stares back at me. They lead him away, and I start to follow them out into the hallway before a familiar voice stops me.

“Minji,” my mom’s hand is on shoulder, and I whip around to see her.

“Mom?! What are you doing here?! Did you see Daesung, they just took hi-“ I stare at her cold expression, and it all clicks.

“I-Is…he…” I glare up at her suddenly, “Daesung…? But he’s perfectly normal!! How could you just take him away like that?!”

My mom ignores me and grips my wrist tightly, dragging me out of the school.

“Let go of me!” I scream, clawing madly at her hand, “I want to go see him! Let go of me, you MONSTER!”

My mom whips around and bares her teeth at me. “He’s the monster. Your friend is a freak, and he deserves to be locked up with the others.”

Tears leak down my face. “Daesung’s no monster. I want to see him. Take me to go see him!!” I yell, but she pushes me into the car. I curl up in my seat, crying into my hands.

 Minutes pass in a hard silence. My mom stares, disgusted, at the road. I can’t believe this. As I look at her, she looks like a total stranger. A stranger who betrayed me.

“I have to go assist with the introduction process to the facility,” my mom states coldly, “and you will sit in the lounge and not make a sound.” She pauses to throw me a glare, “Seeing as you were so close to that freak, don’t think I won’t throw you in there.” For the first time I realize how little I mean to my mom.

And without Daesung…I feel bare.

Completely alone for the first time… I have to see him.

“I will see him,” I manage through tears, pushing myself out of the balled up position to sit up correctly. My mom searches me out of the corner of her eye. They better not have hurt him. I’ll end them. He never did anything wrong.

“Fine,” she mutters, pulling into the underground garage. I wipe my tears and close the car door behind me.

I’ll find you. I’ll rescue you.

How was I supposed to know it would be from my own mother?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eeeehhehehehehehe! <3