Specimen

Monster

 

The elevator doors whoosh open and two men grab my arms. I lean forward desperately, looking everywhere for my captured friend. He’s got to be here somewhere, if I can just get away from these guys and mom…

“Lock her in the lounge,” my mom orders.

“Yes, Dr. Bu,” the men reply, sweeping me away and into a small room with a gray sofa and large window. Mom barely finished her sentence before they agreed. She must really have power here.

“Don’t try anything funny,” one of the men grumbles.

“We’ll be right outside the door,” the other adds, and they shuffle out the door, locking it loudly. I sit down on the couch, head in my hands.

How could I let this happen?

I should’ve stopped Mom when I had the chance…

And now I’m stuck in this room…

I can’t be locked in here!!

I have to find Dae!!

A loud knock on the window in front of me jolt’s me back to reality. The boy with the blonde bowl of hair is gazing at me, wide-eyed, from the other side, brandishing a lip ring. This place allows body jewelry?

“What are you doing back here?” he asks, “You aren’t a specimen.” That word causes the knot in my stomach to tighten.

Daesung can’t be a specimen…

“My friend…,” I murmur, “they took my friend.”

He reaches out and gently presses a pale palm to the glass.

“I’m sorry,” he whispers, and I nod.

“Is that…a lip ring?” I ask curiously, gazing at his mouth. I just want to change the subject, and it works. He smiles.

“It sure looks like one. It’s my punishment for back talking the lab geeks. I say something sarcastic, they press a button, and it tightens.”

My eyes widen. “That’s terrible.”

“Yeah, well, so are they,” he sighs.

“Wait,” I realize, looking around him, “how are you…outside?”

“It’s a ‘stimulated environment’”, he replies, “with a special one-way window.”

“So…you can’t see me?” I ask, and he nods. “Then how did you know I was here?”

He gazes right at me with soft, honey colored eyes.

He must really be special, I realize. But Daesung’s not one of him.

His head whips around and he listens for a moment.  “I have to go,” he mutters quickly, “my lab geeks are coming.”

“Wait!” I exclaim, reaching towards the glass, “What’s your name?”

He stares blankly at me. “My…name?” His expression saddens for a moment before he shakes his head.

“Good luck with your friend,” he utters, and dashes away. I watch him disappear into the fake forest and slump numbly onto the couch.

He couldn’t even remember his name.

What if Daesung becomes like that?

I’ve got to find him. Now.

I shoot out of my seat and glance around the room, looking for anything that could aid my escape. All I see is a small, cheap table with a fake potted plant on it.

That’s not much help.

Suddenly an intercom above my head comes to life with a crackle.

“All guards report to Training Site A, repeat; all guards to Training Site A,” the intercom states.

I rush to the door and press my ear to it. Hearing footsteps receding quickly, I put my hand on the door handle, and listen harder. Silence. I slowly and quietly try to turn the handle, but it won’t budge. With a soft groan of frustration, I pace around the room. I can’t imagine no one has ever locked themselves in here on accident before. There must be a spare key in here somewhere.

Getting down on my knees, I feel underneath the cheap little table. My fingers grasp string, and I give a sharp tug, and something metal hits the floor with a cling.

Scooping up a skeleton key, I sigh. I’ll still have to pick the lock. I rush up to the door, heart racing, and worm the skeleton key into the hole. My brow furrows in concentration. I push thoughts of what they could be doing to Daesung out of my mind. I can’t be afraid of them.

Finally there’s a click. The door swings open towards me, and I’m shoved roughly to the floor. I look up to see my  mom’s icy blue eyes.

“Get up,” she orders, and I struggle to my feet. Snatching the skeleton key from me, she holds open the door.

“Come on. You get to go see him,” she mutters, and I hesitate. My trust in her is gone completely.

“Go!” She barks, pushing me, “Before I change my mind!”

She leads the way across the large computer room, and I follow silently, head hung. How am I going to get him out of here? There are people everywhere! Maybe if I can convince them that he’s not what they think he is…

Stopping in front of a door marked ‘Training Site A”, mom turns to me.

“You have ten minutes,” she states, and opens the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Are you kidding me? No Daesung in this chapter?!

It's okay guys, I know, I'm disappointed too.

xD I hope you love this story as much as I love writing it! <3