A case of mistaken identity... (Part 3)

SNSD ♥ ~ Short Stories!

 

Yoona folded her legs up on the bed and stared into blank space. Her face wrinkled and she considered the trouble she got herself into. She kept biting her lower lip and played with her fingers. Her breathing slowly became loud and deep as she found her heart beating faster and faster. She considered what would come up on national news tomorrow. 'Big scandal: Double of Seohyun living off as the pop idol'. She cupped both her hands over her face as she considered her options. 

"I could tell them the truth, no.. no, that's only make things worse. Maybe I should swap back before the reporters come up to investigate. But how am I going to do that?!" Yoona whined in frustration. 

Soon the tears came rolling down her cheeks, at a loss of what to do. She plopped onto the bed facing the ceiling and shut her eyes tight to try and get some sleep. Yoona would be going down to her rented apartment tomorrow to meet Seohyun to decide what to do. 

"Get some rest for tonight, we'll discuss things tomorrow." those were the last words Seohyun had spoke before hanging up.

Yoona grabbed the pillow from underneath her head and place them over her face, thinking if Seohyun was having trouble sleeping too.

Seohyun laid back onto the sofa as soon as she ended the call with Yoona. She had always expected things to go out of hand sooner or later, however her body reacted differently. Her heart was beating loudly and she felt her hands turn cold from being so nervous. She got up from the sofa and paced around the room mumbling to herself. Seohyun tried several times to compose herself by taking deep breaths but what the books said would work ended up differently in reality. She scratched her head, frustrated with the situation she was in. She sat back down on the sofa and surfed the Internet for any updated news. She knew that the scandal would not just disappear by itself but she secretly wished someone or somehow the article would get deleted. Long before she knew it, it was already 3am in the morning. She looked up at the clock and cursed, she knew she had to get some rest but she just couldn't. 

Just then, Yuri got out from her room and sleepily walked towards the bathroom. Her eyes was only half open when she exited from the bathroom. She saw the glaring light from Seohyun's laptop monitor in the midst of the dark living room. She curiously walked over despite being dead tired.

"What could this girl be up to in the middle of the night?" she thought to herself. 

She observed Seohyun's laptop monitor from behind the sofa. She saw the article 'Seohyun missing, impostor in the house', several more articles have already been published from the initial one that was released. 

"Yah impostor?! Seohyun you're in trouble." Yuri's loud voice echoed through the entire room scaring Seohyun.

Seohyun jumped at the sudden loud voice and turned around swiftly to glare at Yuri. It was no surprise that the voice belonged to Yuri, amongst the 3 of them living in the apartment Yuri had always been the loudest. 

"Don't scare me like that!" Seohyun complained. 

"What, what is that all about?" Yuri pointed at the computer screen. 

"What does it look like?" Seohyun looked at Yuri as if telling her the answer was obvious. 

"Then we have to do something!" Yuri panicked and started throwing random ideas.

Seohyun grabbed Yuri's hand and gestured for her to take a seat beside her. Seohyun told Yuri that the article had already been released for almost 4 hours, and with current media technology it was no surprise that it has escalated to such a level. 

"Yoona was the one who informed me about it." Seohyun explained. 

"Should we come clean then?" Yuri not thinking of a better solution.

"I think it will make it all worse. Imagine if the press found out I've been living here for 1 month, Yoona's life would turned upside down by the press bugging her for all the details and after such a huge scandal you think anyone is going to let it pass? She might not even be able to attend school anymore. We need to find another way to solve this." Seohyun conjured up whatever reasoning she came up with the past few hours.

The turmoil was simply too much for the teenage girls. They were after all just young girls and the burden was too great. So Seohyun and Yuri hugged each other and cried, agonized that they could do nothing but see how things would turn out. Soon, they fell asleep from fatigue and the sun rose to welcome the dreadful day. Sunny saw the two of girls cuddling each other on the sofa. She woke them up after she had finished preparing breakfast and sat at the dining table waiting for them to wash up to have breakfast together. After breakfast Sunny had finally broke the question and asked them why they were being so awkward. Seohyun and Yuri retold the story from last night and with this Sunny was officially part of the anxious girls. They 3 waited impatiently for Yoona's arrival. Yuri walked about in the room, Sunny repeatedly whined about the trouble they have gotten into and Seohyun sat by the window looking out for Yoona's car to arrive. After an hour of waiting which felt like eternity, Seohyun finally saw Yoona's car. She informed the girls and they all gathered by the window. She saw Yoona exit from the vehicle and somehow felt slightly assured. With Yoona here, they could finally decide on what to do. However, just as Yoona was walking towards the basement of the apartment a horde of reporters who had seemingly followed Yoona's car started bombarding Yoona with questions. Seohyun panicked seeing how the situation has developed for the worst. 

"Yoona's in trouble!' Sunny and Yuri could tell that much from watching the whole thing. 

The trio rushed down hoping to get Yoona out of the horde of reporters. Yoona meanwhile was terrified by the gang of people who surrounded her. The snapping sound of the camera was evident. Yoona was at a loss of what to do, she panicked and her legs almost gave way but she clenched her teeth and managed to remain standing. With nowhere to run, Yoona could only keep her head low while the reporters relentlessly tried to get an answer from the girl. Yoona's head was hurting and she felt extremely uncomfortable in the crowd. Just then, Yuri and Sunny sprang out from the basement with brooms and tried to sweep the reporters away. They created just enough space for them to get to Yoona. Just as Yuri got to Yoona, Yoona's legs gave way and she fainted. Sunny led the way back to the lift and they went back up to the apartment. Seohyun waited by the apartment door fearing that if she revealed herself things would get worse. She was surprised when she saw Yuri supporting Yoona. She quickly opened the door and prepared a hot towel for her. 

"Are you feeling better?" Seohyun asked worriedly when Yoona finally opened her eyes hours later.

"Seohyun, this can't go on any longer." Sunny stating the obvious.

"I know, but I just don't know what to do." Seohyun scratched at her head again. 

"I think it's time we considered that telling the truth is the only way." Yuri assured Seohyun by grabbing her hand. 

"I think we'll do that. But let me call someone first." Seohyun finally gave up on any other ideas.

---At a certain place---

"Welcome to the music show, the show that keeps you up with all things music. I'm your host Bert Boston and I am very happy to meet the viewers once again. Now let me introduce the first act, Raining Acid with their new single 'Keep me love'." the emcee announced the first act and sat away from the stage as they prepared the stage for Raining Acid's use. 

"So what are we going to do about Seohyun's act later on? As it is, she doesn't seem to be able to make it." the emcee commented after finding out about the big news that had happened.

"We'll leave that for the company to decide, put her introductions off to the last bit of the show. If she doesn't appear we'll just have to give it a pass." the producing director replied.

Seohyun paced around the room as she waited for the person on the other line to pick up. She held the phone close to her and her lips in nervousness. 

"Hello?" Seohyun spoke when she heard the line connect.

----------

"Ah Seohyun? What a surprise. What's up?" the person on the other line replied.

"I'm sorry to bother you, but you're the only one in the industry that I can count on." Seohyun said with urgency.

"Haha, didn't you say we should not meet up anymore after what happened?" the man was being cheeky.

"I'm sorry that was probably the best thing to do. I couldn't have the media following us and ruining our lives can I? You're my only friend in the industry, I really felt bad I'm sorry." Seohyun was being excessively apologetic.

"Hey, I'm just kidding with you. I understand. So how can I help?" Yonghwa already catching on.

"I need you to help me…" Seohyun hastily spoke her mind.

Not long after a black van parked beneath Yoona's apartment. Seohyun cautiously led them downstairs, scanning the area for paparazzi who have yet left the place. Thankfully, the girls moved down without any trouble. They got into the black sedan van and drove towards the set for music show. 

"So this is the friend who looks like you eh? You both really do look alike." Yonghwa glanced at Yoona.

"Thanks for doing this for me." Seohyun was grateful Yonghwa even agreed to help them.

"Anything for you." Yonghwa simply smiled. 

The journey to the set seemed endless and they clenched their fist in nervousness. There was no guarantee things were going to work out, but they could only pray and hope for the best. 

----------

The emcee concluded the second last act and it was almost time for Seohyun's performance. 

"I can only give them 5 minutes." the emcee spoke to himself.

The audience at the set kept their silence. They all knew that Seohyun's performance was up next. They waited in silence for the girl to come up on stage. All the rumors got everyone excited and they were anticipating the singer's next move. Would she be here? Nobody knew, and even if she did appear what would she have to say. 

"All right, for our next performance is the voice angel promoting her single from her 2nd mini album, 'It's my time to shine." the emcee announced and the place was quiet as a graveyard. No one had stepped up on stage.

The producing director shook his head at the emcee, signaling for him to conclude the show. The emcee gripped the mike hard in regret, he wanted to hear the sweet girl's side of the story. Just then the doors at the back swung open and there Seohyun was standing amidst the crowd at the top. Everyone turned to look at the girl and started whispering if she was the real one. Seohyun ignored the chatter, and with a mike in her hand she started singing. She walked down the aisle while she sang her heart out to the crowd knowing this might very well be her last time. The crowd continued to whisper their comments within their group but Seohyun gracefully ignored the noise and continued to sing. She embraced the stage and since a long while she had finally regained the joy of standing on stage and performing. At this stage, what others thought didn't matter. Music is music and that is all it takes to motivate her to sing. She finally understood that it wasn't music she hated, she was just afraid of how everyone looked at her. As she quietly sang her song, her heart soared as she was filled with joy to be able to stand on stage once more to sing for the people that mattered and the people that cared. She climbed the steps up and took centre stage. 

"Hello everyone, I'm Seohyun. I am but just an ordinary singer and I really like music. But somewhere along the way I lost my purpose. I started feeling pressured by the industry to do well. I was blinded by the fact that I had to be successful and forgot that music is just music. So it happened. A month ago, I swapped my life with a stranger. A stranger I met on the streets and that person looked exactly like me. One month is a very short time, but within that short time many things happened. That stranger became my best friend and along with her I made other best friends. During that time, I was living the life of a normal girl and I was happy. But trying to live a life that was not mine, trouble was bound to strike us. I apologize for those that believed in me but I really really really just wanted to be myself." Seohyun sincerely spoke to the crowd and the crowd too listened intently. 

The crowd once again conversed in loud voices, each having their own thoughts. Whether or not they had accepted her apology, Seohyun was ready to leave the stage. She had done what she could do. 

"My name is Im Yoona, I'm the girl that passed off as Seohyun." Yoona came out from the backstage. Everyone gasped when they saw how similar both of them looked. 

"I was a plain girl that lived in the countryside. My parents wished for me to be a better person so they sent me to study here. And instead of being thankful, I complained about the frugal life I had to lead everyday. I didn't know what I have and didn't cherish it. Seohyun gave me a chance to lead the luxurious life of a star. But now I realize, at the end of the day all this riches and fame will not give you happiness. In the end what I enjoyed most was singing for the people who enjoyed my voice and spending time with a friend like Seohyun. We meant no harm, I'm sorry." Yoona did a deep bow.

The crowd went silent, almost as if they did not know what to think. Then the music came on and they sang Seohyun's single. 

'In the simple life of a young girl lies a dream

A dream to be who she really wants to be

Don't stop her please don't stop her

Let her shine, be the shining star 

she will show you who you really are

A dream so far she thought she'd never reach

but be patient with her she'll try to beat

the barriers and tests that all men set 

She'll shine, shine bright

Let her shine, be the shining star' 

The lyrics passed on their thoughts to the audience and the audience who heard them were moved. They clapped lousily and cheered wildly for the two girls on stage. It was a special night not just for the both of them but for the audience as well.

A few week later, life returned to normal as Yoona returned back to school as herself. She was not getting grades better than what Seohyun did but she was doing a lot better. Yuri and Sunny constantly stayed by her side to cheer her on. Seohyun went back to singing. This time not to prove anything but just to express her feelings and show her passion for singing. Of course, Seohyun and Yoona remained best of friends and Seohyun would even invite Yoona to perform with her. Their lives weren't perfect but they were happy and content. As a bonus Seohyun did officially get together with Yonghwa. After the performance that night Yonghwa had come clean with his feelings for Seohyun.

"Everything settled now? I think there's one more thing left to do." Yonghwa placed a finger to stop Seohyun from replying and kissed her on the lips. 

"Yah what do you think you're doing?" Seohyun pushed him away. 

"I guess you couldn't tell." Yonghwa started walking away dejectedly but Seohyun grabbed his hand.

"Could you show me how to do that again?" Seohyun shyly said.

 

Life does not always give you what you want, but if you try hard enough then life will always be your paradise.

-------

I finally completed this long story. It's been a while, and I'm sorry I couldn't update as frequently as I wanted to. 
Thanks again to all the readers. :) I know I'm lacking but I will try hard just like the both of them in the story. :)