Race against time... (Part 2)

SNSD ♥ ~ Short Stories!

Sunny sprinted to the main road and hailed a cab. 

"Lastrale tower please." Sunny said while trying to catch her breath. 

The cabby looked at the rear view mirror to see an exhausted Sunny. Concerned, he asked her if she was all right. 

"I'm all right thank you." Sunny grateful that in the midst of all this action, she had managed to meet some nice people. Her heart continued to race as thoughts of Taeyeon in danger flashed through her mind. 

After 15 minutes of smooth journey she had met with an unfortunate jam on the streets. The sound of horns echoed through the entire street as flustered drivers horned the person in front of them to speed up traffic. Sunny started panicking. She looked down on her watch and she barely had enough time left. 

"10 minutes, I'll just have to count on myself." Sunny took out some cash and passed it over to the driver.

"Oh if I may add, miss. Play your own game because you'll never win at a game the others created." the driver gave an unknowing advice to Sunny. 

Sunny looked at the driver oddly for a moment trying to figure out what his words meant. Then she sped off to the nearest building, seeing that she didn't have enough time. She climbed onto the rooftop and true to her fitness she started running from rooftop to rooftop. She was able to escape the hectic traffic on ground and with 5 minutes to spare she arrived at the building beside Lastrale tower. She head to the lift of Lestrale tower and went up. 

---In the lift---

"Well well, look who's arrived. Congratulations you found the right spot." the sound had come from the speaker in the lift.

Sunny listened without speaking a word. 

"Let's see we've messed with the system of the lift. Among the 50 stories only one will lead you to the roof. Instructions will be on the 'roof' of the lift. Oh you have 15 minutes before the lift falls." the man ended off the conversation in his laughter. 

Sunny intelligently climbed onto the railing by the side of the lift and lifted off the cap on the top of the lift. She climbed up to the outside of the lift searching for the instructions that were supposed to be located there. She looked up to find a card attached to the cable holding onto the lift. Sunny, with her outstanding physical capabilities, effortlessly climbed up to reach for the card. She got back into the lift and read the instructions. 

To the capable one who got so far 

Congratulations!

However, the game doesn't end quite so simply

50 numbers, only 1 is right

The answer is the button that is close to 16 

more than 25 and less than 30

Sunny read the note carefully and looked at the button on the lift.

10 20 30 40 50

9 19 29 39 49 

8 18 28 38 48

7 17 27 37 47

6 16 26 36 46

5 15 25 35 45

4 14 24 34 44

3 13 23 33 34

2 12 22 23 24

1 11 12 13 14

> <      < >

She easily found the number she was looking for. Confidently, she pressed on 26. She looked around the lift searching for confirmation that she had pressed on the right number. True enough the life started moving and brought her up to the highest level.

"26.. 02/06 the day of our high school martial arts competition.." Sunny recalled.

She exited the life and climbed onto the roof. Searching for the next piece of instruction she scanned around the roof. 

 

"I'm here!" her voice echoed through the air. 

Her heart was pounding, hoping for a certain response. She was near the state of mental breakdown after being tormented by a group of unknowns. 

Amongst Sunny's screams a little sound could be heard along with it's evident vibrations. Sunny's sensitive ears picked out the sound and approached it. 

"Hello!" Sunny's voice was forceful and demanding. 

"How do you like our little game." the man on the other line laughed sinisterly, enjoying Sunny's struggle. 

"Where's Taeyeon?!" Sunny raised her voice again. 

"Oh she's fine but she won't be if you can't get to Madison Square in 15 minutes. 

"Enough of your games. You've made me run enough like your dog!" Sunny was furious. 

"..umph.. Sunny.." Taeyeon's weak cry came from the other side of the phone and there was an obvious sound that she was gagged again. 

"All right I'll do it, just don't hurt her." Sunny's ferocity toned down. 

"That's better, now you better get going cause the time is ticking.." the man teased the helpless girl.

Sunny was once again made to follow the man's instruction. She headed down to Madison Square which was within sight when she was on top of the roof. It took her no longer than 10 minutes to get there. Sunny's breathing started to become heavy as she was made to run around the entire day. As much as she hated to admit it she was running out of energy. 

The number of people in Madison Square were many as usual. She bumped into many others trying to get to the center of the place. The moment she reached the center the cellphone she obtained from the roof of Lestrale tower rang. She picked it up promptly to the once familiar voice of the same man. 

"It seems like the tasks I'm giving you are too easy." the man laughed through the phone, indicating he had purposely made the tasks easy for Sunny's capabilities.

"You know me don't you? Just who are you?" Sunny has smartly gathered up the clues through all the tasks. The man knows where Sunny studied in high school, knows which classroom she was in, knew that she was in the martial arts club, knew she married Taeyeon and where she stayed.

"Need I answer that question? You already know, don't you? I want you dead Sunny! For the humiliation you made me go through that time. You should've been honest. Now pick your favourite crowd of people, the public of Madison Square or Taeyeon." so once more the call ended in the man's sadistic laughter.

"Nelson Warreby." Sunny recalled the identity of the man behind the phone. 

---Flashback---

2 years ago, during the last year of their high school life. Sunny and Taeyeon were practicing hard for the inter-school martial arts competition. Both of them had been selected to represent the school along with 3 others. All 5 selected students were to participate in the individuals category by themselves as well as the team category as a school. 

Due to Sunny's innate ability and raw talent, she gained the recognition of the trainer and was selected as captain for the school. 

During the competition Sunny led the team well to win competition after competition. And of course she breezed through the individual category with no problem. In their team was also Nelson Warreby. He was as talented as Sunny but was always too shy to speak up and hence he was given less attention as compared to Sunny. 

Sunny eventually had to fight Nelson during the semi-finals of the individuals category. However, that fight scarred Nelson's pride and happiness for life. Nelson showed the upper hand during the competition as he analyzed the Sunny's style well. In the midst of the fight Sunny had unintentionally lifted her leg above neck level and it headed straight for Nelson's face which was against the rules. Because of the careful consideration of the rules, Nelson disregarded the safety of his head and the sudden movement shocked Nelson as he moved slightly to the side resulting on a hit to the shoulder. He groaned in pain awaiting the call for the referee, but that call never came. Sunny landed another hit on his back and he fell flat on the floor. Nelson got up swiftly hoping to clinch a win during the last minute, but Sunny swung her leg for Nelson's feet and Nelson lost his balance. Nelson tumbled out of the mat and hit the judges' table. Sunny went on to beat Taeyeon during the finals to be the champion for the competition.

The next day, Nelson could no longer be found. Rumour has it that he has moved to another place because he was too ashamed of meeting his peers due to his loss. Sunny tried to get some information from the teacher-in-charge but his information was kept confidential and Sunny was rejected.

-------

Sunny felt guilty after all these years. She knew she was in the wrong for not conceding her mistake but was that the true reason why Nelson was out for revenge? Wasn't this too extreme?

She looked down on the phone as the set of instruction has arrived. 

It's the final choice

Stay at Madison Square to diffuse the bomb

or find me at Prangiles Stadium to save Taeyeon

Make a wise decision

Sunny contemplated in agony as she struggled to make the right decision. She couldn't sacrifice the many lives just to save Taeyeon. 

"Beat him at your own game." the driver's words reverberated in Sunny's mind. 

"If he was really out to make me suffer, he wouldn't have made me play this game with the lives of the innocent." Sunny headed out of Madison Square but not for Prangiles Stadium. She headed, instead, for the gym Taeyeon and her attended to better their martial arts. 

She opened the doors to the gym widely and saw the crowded gym with people practicing martial arts. She headed for the head coach's office and pleaded him to evacuate the crowd. 

"Please, Mr Seville you have to make them leave the gym." Sunny impatiently requested.

"Hey Sunny, I'm happy to see you but what's with the sudden request." Mr Seville smiled widely, happy to see Sunny.

"I don't have time to explain, please make them leave." 

"I can't do that, I'm running a business."

.... the bomb went off and the gym burst into flames. Sunny had fortunately managed to evacuate through the emergency exit window. 

Behind the bushes observing the fire was Mr Seville. Thanking Sunny, and himself for believing in what Sunny had said. He looked around to find the people who were in the gym at a safe distance away from the flames and the explosion.

Sunny was then finally headed to Prangiles Stadium, the place where they had their competition 2 years ago. 

"Welcome Sunny." a man smiled to welcome Sunny. 

Surrounding the stadium were men in black suits and sunglasses similar to the ones that had came to her house to kidnap Taeyeon.

"Where's Taeyeon." Sunny was barely holding in her anger now.

"Relax, you can get her after you beat me. This time, there shall be no rules." the man took off his vest and got into his stance on the mat.

"Kiss your goodbye then!" Sunny screamed in fury. She dashed towards the man and jumped before delivering a blow with her legs. 

The man fell back but easily got up from the hit.

"You don't seem to be as strong right now." the man teased Sunny.

They continued to exchange blows. Each barely protecting themselves from the deadly blows as there were no rules to the fight. The man aimed for Sunny's neck, only to have his hand swatted away and getting hit on his abdomen. Sunny tried to keep the blows going but the man carefully dodged and landed a hit on Sunny's cheek. Both of them were now covered in bruises. And some time later, Sunny was obviously losing her edge and she get hit more and more. Her continuous running to complete the missions had led her to a disadvantage in this crucial moment. In a fight where she couldn't lose.

The man stopped his advances as Sunny fell onto the mat. Just then, a man in wheelchair emerged from the corner. 

"Hi Sunny, how does it feel to be on the ground. Truthfully, I'm Nelson. I can't fight like you anymore and I feel pitiful I had to have someone else to fight you for me. My revenge is rather pathetic if you ask me." Nelson spoke calmly.

Sunny laid on the mat trying to catch her breath while listening to Nelson. 

"Remember that day two years ago? I hit my back that day and was paralyzed for life. My parents had us move to Florida but they didn't keep me for long. Because medical fees were of bombarding amounts, they left me at an orphanage. From that day I swore my revenge and worked hard. Now I'm dealing with the black market that is why I have the monetary capabilities to see your pitiful sight right now." Nelson's speech hinted sadness and anger.

Just like two years back, Sunny swat her legs and the man whom she was fighting and this time intentionally raising her legs above the neck level to aim for his head. The man fell unconscious on the mat. 

"Old habits never change do they? I have Taeyeon held up in the locker room, get her if you can." as soon as Nelson finished what he said, the flock of men blocked the entrance to the locker room preventing Sunny's access.

"Just so you know, I never wanted to win that way." with that Sunny, despite her injuries, charged towards the men and tried to push her way through. She was eventually beaten down to the ground by them.

Just then, the main entrance doors swung open and the group of people from the gym came charging in beating down every single men blocking the entrance to the locker room.

Furious, Nelson maneuvered his wheelchair trying to hit some of the gym members down.

"No one shall spoil my plan! No one!" as much as he hated it, he was eventually removed from his wheelchair and he crawled on the ground. Sunny saw him amongst the crowd and went over to help him up his wheelchair.

"I don't need help from a cheat, not from you!" he lashed out as Sunny despite her helping him. 

"Look, I'm sorry for what happened. I really am. But despite all that, don't you think this is a little too much?" Sunny tried to argue as she placed him on the wheelchair.

"You took away my entire life and you think this is too much?" he remarked dryly.

"I swear it wasn't intentional. And I apologize." with that Sunny left him alone and headed to free Taeyeon from the locker room.

Eventually she found Taeyeon bounded to a chair and gagged. She removed the ropes around her hands and legs. She held Taeyeon closely using her shoulders to wipe Taeyeon's tears off.

"I was so scared." Taeyeon hugged Sunny tightly, still afraid after being dramatically kidnapped. 

Sunny held Taeyeon close, regretting all the events up till now.

"Everything is all right now." she assured Taeyeon.

---1 month later---

Sunny and Taeyeon were happily back at their sweet home. Sunny had offered to go back to the gym to teach and Taeyeon would remain a good housewife as she cooked 3 meals a day for Sunny.

After that incident Nelson disappeared again. The cops who scoped him out couldn't find any hints of where he could be. The only thing he left behind was the cellphone that Sunny got during the mission. 

"I'm sorry I went to such an extent. I'm taking time out to reflect the things that have gone wrong. And for once I'm going to live just for myself. May happiness be with you." that was the final text Nelson sent Sunny. 

Sunny had tried to call that number to reach him but it never got through. 

"Honey I'm home." Sunny said as she opened the doors to her home exhausted from work.

"Well, home sweet home.." Taeyeon greeted Sunny with a smile...

-----------

A rather long chapter I might say. Hope you guys like it, this goes out to eLevenSG! Hope you like it. I had to think hard for this one, sorry I ended this so late. :P Comment and subscribe okay! :D