A case of mistaken identity... (Part 1)

SNSD ♥ ~ Short Stories!

 

*Cameras flashing*

"Make way please!" men assigned as Seohyun's bodyguards shouted as they pushed their way across the wave of fans who had come to the airport to welcome the latest pop sensation. 

Seohyun hid her face behind large shady sunglasses along with a cap and followed closely behind her bodyguards. The reception had been worse that they anticipated. The terminal was almost full with people and it made movement extremely difficult. Seohyun, with much difficulty finally made it into the vehicle. 

"Huff, that was bad." she sighed.

"Well, it just goes to show how popular you are right now." the manager consoled Seohyun.

"Back in the days when I first debuted, hardly anyone gave me any attention." Seohyun recalled the days.

"Thanks to that rumor you had with the leading male pop singer, Jung Yonghwa, people took notice of you almost immediately." her manager recalled.

"Is this really necessary? The road to stardom is so full of deception. But without it, I'd have never gotten this far." Seohyun plopped back onto her seat and fanned herself with her hand. 

---------

"Aigoo, I'm broke again. " Yoona said dejectedly. 

Yoona sat down on the sofa and looked around the living room of the 3 room flat. It all looked like a dream to her. 2 years ago, Yoona's parents had insisted that she moved out from her home at the countryside to study in the neighbouring town. Education was expensive, and people from the countryside hardly could afford it, but Yoona's parents saved hard and allowed Yoona to be able to study. 

"What's wrong, Yoona?" Yuri asked.

"It's the same for this month." Yoona sighed.

"Don't worry, at least we're not starving. Let's do this Yoona. Hwaiting!" Yuri encouraged the gloomy Yoona.

"I'm suffering, just let me quit school..." Yoona continued to complain.

Yoona rented a 3 room flat along with two other campus mates, Yuri and Sunny. Being under the same roof for quite some time, Yuri had befriended Yoona comfortably, to the extent that Yuri would always act as Yoona's sister who would always be there to support her.

"Yah Yoona, did you forget how hard your parents worked just to get you here." Sunny reprimanded Yoona. 

"But unnie, this is really hard." Yoona whined.

Sunny was also close with the other two. In fact, she was always the one to hit both of the girls on their heads and lecture them about the things they needed to do. Sunny was a forceful person, but also one with a sweet heart. Every time the girls got into a bit of a trouble with money for the month she would not hesitate to bring out her savings to help them. She would even bring them out for treats. Sunny was not rich, but she lived the most comfortably amongst the 3 of them. 

"Yoona, life will leave you crippled if you let it. Be strong okay." Sunny patted Yoona on her head.

"Aish, I know.." Yoona plopped her head onto the sofa.

Yuri and Sunny smiled at each other, already too familiar with the situation.

--------

"Seohyun ah, remember to get back by 10, you have a schedule tomorrow." 

Seohyun left her dorm with heavy clothing, enough to make her unrecognizable. These days she had to do this every time she went out, and it was becoming increasingly frustrating. 

"How I wish I could be a normal high school kid." Seohyun said while adjusting her sunglasses. 

Seohyun walked around the streets, looking at normal people going about their daily lives. They didn't need rumors to keep their jobs alive, they didn't have to hide themselves like rats, and they looked happy. At least happier than how Seohyun was feeling right now. Seohyun loved music but this idol life was getting to her and sometimes she thought 'this really isn't for me'.

Yoona tied her shoelace and bid goodbye to Yuri and Sunny as she head out to the library for some light studying. Yoona's time was always packed with work, if not study. She felt obliged to make sure she did well in exams so as not to disappoint her parents. Yoona barely grazed through the exams because of her lack of time to study due to her hectic schedule and she wasn't really that interested in books. 

Yoona treaded along the walkway to the library and thought about how her life was so hectic and painful. 

"How I wish I was rich. I wouldn't have to study so much and work so hard. I could be a star, that'd be easy." Yoona pondered silently as she walked. 

*Bang*

The two girls deep in their thought did not notice the other and had banged onto one another. Yoona got up first and rubbed her sore arm. She looked down to see the lady with heavy clothing struggling slightly to get back up. She extended her hand for the lady to hold it. Seohyun, willingly accepted her help and apologized for banging onto Yoona.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention." Seohyun making her voice nasal on purpose. 

"No, I'm sorry I was the one not paying attention." Yoona looked around at Seohyun curiously as Seohyun dressed too awkwardly for a simple walk outside.

"Thanks for the help, I better get going now." Seohyun hurriedly tried to end the conversation, afraid that Yoona would recognize her.

"Sorry, why are you dressed like that?" Yoona asked tactlessly.

"Please, here's my sign, don't tell anyone you saw me." Seohyun took a marker out and rushed to sign on the paper card that Yoona was holding to.

"What are you doing!" Yoona retracted the paper cards.

"You don't know who I am?" Seohyun asked after observing Yoona's weird actions. 

"How can I see you with all these thick clothes!" Yoona retorted.

Seohyun took down her sunglasses, to allow Yoona to see her face. Instead she gasped. Seohyun could not see clearly due to the sunglasses blurring her sight. But after removing it, it was as if she was staring at an exact duplicate of her. Yoona after looking at Seohyun did the exact same thing.

"Who are you?!" Yoona overreacted.

"You seriously don't know who I am? But you, why do you look so much like me?" Seohyun still recovering from the shock. 

She knew people could look alike but the extent of their similarity were terrifying. The same nose shape, the thin eyebrows, the doe eyes and the aegyo fats under it, the pointy chin and the cherry lips all looked too similar. 

The two of them went to a nearby coffee house to calm themselves down. However, the opposite occurred. Yoona couldn't help but stare at Seohyun while Seohyun cracked her mind trying to recall if she ever had a twin sister. 

"Psst, please don't look at me like that. Other people will realize." Seohyun said. 

"But this is too fascinating.." Yoona continued.

"Oh my god, is that Seohyun?!" a girl in the cafe called out and approached the table. 

"Please sign this." the girl held out her diary for Yoona to sign.

"I'm sorry but I think you got the wrong person." Yoona waved her hand to show that the girl had mistaken her. 

"Wow, so you're really popular." Yoona expressed to Seohyun after the girl left. 

"All because of some rumors. I wasn't always popular. Besides, I'm sick of this life." Seohyun sighed. 

"You don't know what's bad. I have to study and work just so I could have a proper job next time and not starve. I know I shouldn't complain but seriously you don't know how life is hard for me." Yoona boldly claimed.

Along with all such stories, Seohyun suggested that both of them switch identities for a month.

"I bet I could live off happier as you!" Yoona smirked.

"I could pull off the simple life better than you, that's for sure." Seohyun shook Yoona's hand, sealing the deal.

And so the both of them started their new lives...