The Boy

Secret L♥ve

 

 

 

I hesitated and looked at his eager face. How exactly was I supposed to resist that?

 

It had been 3 months since the first day of school, yet L.joe makes me feel like i’ve known him for a lifetime.

 

Hey, what have you got to lose? I asked myself.

 

“Soo Hyo you should really stop thinking out loud like that.” He laughed.

 

I blushed fiercely and ducked my head, away from his smiley eyes. “Fine let’s do it.” I mumbled, desperately trying to switch subjects. And just because I want to know more about it as well.” I huffed.

 

I could see his feet approach me until we were inches close. My breath caught in my throat as he placed his warm hand on top of my head then started sliding it down, making his cool fingertips brush my ear and the side of my cheek until it finally rested on my shoulder. I could feel a shiver coming.

 

“Good girl.” He whispered. “See you after class!” he said, rather loudly this time, saving me from utter embarrassment.

 

I looked up to see the smile on his face as he stepped around me and walked away.

 

Don’t look back.

 

The intensity of the gazes of the people subsided along with him. I sighed in relief, slipping in the next classroom just as the bell rang.

 

The lessons were a never ending blur of warriors and sword fighting as history unfolded itself in the barriers of a four walled room through the words of a charismatic old man.

 

Mother. The chair. L.joe. Mother. The chair. L.joe.

 

I sighed and shook my head.

 

Something tells me I liked the brooding L.joe more.

 

It was less difficult to avoid having a stupid crush on him.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

He was waiting for me.

 

Leaning on the pillar outside my last classroom of the day with one leg outstretched was none other than the pink haired weirdo with his head bobbing to a rhythm and the earphones sending off little static noises. He didn't seem to notice me approaching.

 

Kid’s pretty serious about his music.

 

“If you’re gonna listen to that any louder your eardrums will bleed.” I muttered, kicking his leg.

 

His leg recoiled at the blow of my kick and he looked up to glare at the suspect. He took his earphones off and showed off his pinky finger. I laughed.

 

“I’m pretty sure it was the middle.”

 

“I’m just not that type of guy.” He rolled his eyes, traces of the icy glare gone in a snap. He stuffed his earphones in his back pocket. “Let’s get you home.”

 

“What?” I asked, confused. “I thought we were going to talk about things?”

 

“We are. After you get changed into something warmer than that ridiculous skirt.” He muttered, eyeing the piece of cloth. “It looks ugly on you.”

 

“YAH!” I yelled, pulling on his ear. “If anything is ugly it’s YOU!” I shouted.

 

He pushed me away and rubbed his ear gingerly. “Didn’t have to tell the world how handsome I am.”

 

Indeed you are.

 

“What?” He blinked.

 

Crap.

 

“Hurry up!” I yelled quickly. “If we want to play detective we must finish before night time!”

 

I quickened my pace and soon left a couple meters behind me. I heard his seasoned laugh and chuckles as I trip every now and again because of my one-size bigger hand me downs.

 

“Ugh these shoes!” I complained silently.

 

“What about them?”

 

I hadn’t heard him coming and was so absorbed in my own little world that I jumped at the sudden interruption of his voice and lightly slapped his arm.*L.joe!”

 

“What?” He asked, a small smirk creeping up his lips. “I just asked you what was wrong with your shoes.”

 

“Well, I don’t get much allowance money so I don’t really have enough to buy shoes for myself. These are hand me downs from the orphanage. The kids who used to live there and had the opportunity to work now are sending us these.” I said, quite proudly of how I was part of a campaign that pays it forward. “Soon I can start working as well and then i’ll also be able to buy kids the shoes they want to take them to their destinations.”

 

L.joe chuckled and started patting my head lightly. “You’re a good girl, Soo Hyo.” he smiled at me.

 

I blushed. “Thanks.”

 

Ohhhhh dear.

 

He removed his hand and the wind replaced the temporary warmth with the cool breeze. I shivered slightly and started rubbing my hands together to keep warm. “Here.” He said, removing his woolen black gloves and giving it to me. “It’ll keep you warm”

 

“Why do you want to help me L.joe?” I blurted.

 

He stopped in his tracks and looked at me thoughtfully. I looked around and saw the familiar building of the orphanage. “What do you mean?” He asked me.

 

“You barely know me, yet you want to help me with my personal problems. Why is that?”

 

“Because you’re my friend Soo Hyo. I want to look out for you.” He said.

 

I want to look out for you.

 

I smiled and nodded. “Yes, well. Stupid of me to ask a question with an obvious answer.”

 

“Stupid of you indeed.” He agreed. “Now go get dressed into something comfortable. I’ll pick you up at 6.”

 

Woah is he taking me out to dinner?

 

Woah are we going out on a date?

 

No no no.

 

“A-ara.” I silently uttered, hoping he wouldn't see the redness forming on my cheeks.

 

“Alright, now go get inside before jack frost bites your little nose.” He smiled, pinching my nose.

 

I gladly slapped it away and ushered him to leave before going inside and feeling the homey, warm vibe of the orphanage.

 

“Noona!” I heard a little voice yell. “Noona!”

 

I looked around the corridor and saw Junsu running towards me from the hallway. “Junsu!” I smiled and picked him up happily as he collided in my arms. “Oh Junsu, I missed you!”

 

His cheeks and his nose had pink blotches, indicating that he had just gone out to play in the snow. “Junsu missed you too noona!” He yelled happily.

 

I laughed and brought him inside my room. I let him sit on my bed as I started choosing my clothes, ready to get out of the uniform. “Is noona going out again?”

 

I can almost hear the pout and the sadness that reverberated from his voice. I turned to face him, realizing that I was right. “Oh Junsu. I’ve just been so busy these days.” I sighed. “I’m sorry. Please don’t cry.”

 

“I want to go with noona!” He muttered, tears welling up his eyes.

 

I bit my lip. Will L.joe be okay with this?

 

What are you thinking?

 

I shooked my head. “Ara ara,” I smiled weakly. “I’ll just go ask ahjumma for permission. Go get dressed.”

 

I could almost see the stars shimmering in his eyes as he jumped to hug me and ran for his room. I chuckled and went to look for ahjumma. I took a quick look at the wall clock hanging around in the lobby.

 

5:00

 

An hour to get ready. I nodded to myself and was about to turn when I saw a lady by the door, about to ring the doorbell.

 

“Yes, how can I help you?” I asked as I opened the door for her.

 

She was a pretty woman. About 5’6, her clothes looked expensive and sophisticated, like she was part of the high classes of Korea. Her face was small and her eyes filled with wonder and kindness. She smiled at me. “Hello dear, I’m looking for Ms. Kim? I have an appointment.”

 

“Oh yes, i’ll bring her right to you please have a seat.” I smiled back at her and gestured to the small brown couch beside the wooden front desk.

 

She obliged and I went to look for Ahjumma. Her little melodies echoed out from the kitchen. I went inside and saw her preparing dinner for the kids.

 

“Ahjumma, a woman is here. Said she wants to see you?”

 

She stopped on her tracks and faced me. “How do I look?” She asked quickly.

 

“Dazed?”

 

She sighed and washed her hands. “She’s a major client my dear.” She whispered. “She’s our landlady.”

 

“Our landlady?” I asked as she was busying herself. “I didn't know our landlady-”

 

“Hush now,” she said, removing her apron and hanging it on a hook beside the door. “I should’ve known she was-” she stopped on her tracks and sighed. Once she was more composed than frantic and dazed, she looked at me. “What did you need dearest one?” She smiled weakly.

 

“Well, I was going to ask if Junsu could come with a friend of mine and myself.” I muttered. “He wanted to come and I realized maybe it was about time I spent some time with him, so i figured i’d give him a chance.”

 

“Who is this friend of yours dearest?” she asked curiously. “A boy?”

 

I blinked. “Yes. But it isn’t like t-that ahjumma.” I stuttered. “We’re just hanging out.”

 

She nodded in understanding. “And your exams?”

 

Shoot.

 

“I’ll make sure to review as well. Don’t worry much ahjumma, I won't let you down.” I smiled.

 

Note to self: Bring the physics book. L.joe, Chunji and I were classmates anyway. Maybe he can help me out, it was getting quite difficult for me to decipher some of the equations.

 

“Alright, be home before 9.” She nodded in finality. “I better tend to our customer now.” She smiled, gave my hand another squeeze and left the kitchen.

 

I was walking back to my room when I saw that Junsu was being held lightly by the beautiful woman with two hand on both of his skinny arms, already wrapped in a thermal jacket. Ahjumma was looking at them, nodding to herself.

 

"What a good boy you are, Junsu." she smiled, her voice sounded like honey and lightness.

 

"It's been a while since anybody was interested in adopting from our orphanage. It is an honor-"

 

"Adopting?"

 

I didn't hear myself utter those words until they came out, strong and loud. "Junsu is getting adopted?"

 

Ahjumma frantically looked at me. "Soo Hyo. You don't-"

 

But Junsu was already struggling out of her grasp and was rushing towards me, grabbing my leg and holding it as tightly as little arms would allow him to. "NO!" he yelled, tears streaming down his pink cheeks. "I"M NOT LEAVING NOONA!"

 

The shrill sound of the doorbell interrupted us. I looked at the ticking wall clock just above ahjumma's head, ignoring her worried stare.

 

6:00.

 

 

{ c o n t i n u e }