Marshmallows

Secret L♥ve

 

 

 

“You know we might get into trouble.” I mumbled, following his footsteps that were planted on the snow. “Plus, I have to study for the mid-term exam. It’s only 4 weeks away, you know?”

 

“Oh hush,” he muttered, looking back at me. “I can tutor you if you want. Was it advanced Algebra?”

 

“The book I was holding?” He nodded. “Well , yeah. It’s starting to get a little rough for me.” I sighed. “I don’t know if I can make it.”

 

“Alright, I’ll tutor you when I can.”

 

“O-okay.” I muttered, rubbing my hands together in an attempt to warm up.  “So, where is this place anyway?” I asked him.

 

“It’s just around the corner.” He smiled. “Come on.”

 

I followed behind him towards a little coffee shop. The walls were covered with different posters all arranged to form this huge abstract on the wall. There were small cupboards filled with different types of vintage collectibles. The lights were orange and the wooden floor was perfectly varnished and clean. I looked towards the wooden tables and cushioned chairs where college students laughed and sipped some hot coffee on this cold, winter afternoon. “This is amazing.”

 

He looked back at me as we stood in line, waiting for our turn. “Isn’t it? Mom and I used to hang out here all the time.” He chuckled. “Why don’t you go ahead and sit on those high chairs over there? The ones beside the window?” he said, pointing to the some chairs on the far side corner where the tables faced the street.  

 

I nodded. “Okay.”

 

I fumbled towards the seats and when I sat down, I was completely relieved by the feeling of heat see through me. I looked around, looking for the source. Miraculously, there was a heater beside the table, stuck on the wall. I sighed in relief and scooted closer to it. The chair beside me then creaked, making me jump in surprise. “Relax.” The voice laughed. “It’s just me, no need to be so jumpy.”

 

I stuck my tongue out at him and continued rubbing my hands. “I wasn’t jumpy.” I mumbled.

 

He laughed, dismissing the subject and he settled a big red mug filled with hot chocolate. Three marshmallows were floating around it. “Thank you.” I told him. He nodded, sipping his own share of the delicious, creamy milk.     

 

Comfortable silence came after. We stared at the cars that rushed through the highway. “I used to do this with my mom every Sunday.” He started. I looked at him as he continued talking. “We used to sip hot chocolate, her proportion of marshmallows were always just 3. She said that it was perfect that way. It didn’t taste too sweet, yet it didn’t taste bitter either. Am I right?” he asked, smiling at me.

 

“You look better smiling like that.” I blurted.

 

He blinked and laughed. “Did that just seriously come out of your mouth?”

 

I blushed and shook my head. “Forget I ever said anything. It’s better that way.”

 

“Falling for me are you?” he smirked.

 

“Ha!” I scoffed.  “Nope. Not in a million years.”

 

He raised his brow at me and mumbled something that sounded quite like “We’ll see.”

 

“What?”

 

He shook his head. “I didn’t say anything. Hurry and finish your hot chocolate, it’s almost fourth period.” He mumbled, looking at his watch. I obliged quickly and settled the mug down. 

 

“Hey,” I asked him, as we made our way towards the exit. “How come your parents weren’t there for your birthday?”

 

Parent actually.” he chuckled, rather bitterly. “My father had some work to do. He’s never home. He sleeps in his office if he has to. Sometimes he can go on 7 hours of work without even getting some shut eye.” He muttered. “Sometimes I’d like to think he was injected with some sort of microchip designed to keep him up to work all day.”

 

“So you don’t see him at all?”

 

“I do see him,” he replied. “But not enough. Sometimes I forget that he’s still my father; that I still have to respect him. But who’s there to respect?” he sighed. “Nobody.”

 

“What about your -”

 

“My mother?” He cut me off. “I don’t know. My dad tells me she’s dead, but I always like to think otherwise.”

 

He was silent after that, just our footsteps crushing against the icy pavement and the sound of the chilly wind in my ears. I couldn’t help but feel sympathetic about his current situation. Here I am, morose about not having a family. And there’s Dongho, he has a family, but it sounds like he truly doesn’t have anyone that could be considered a family. I didn’t know which was worse.

 

“But hey,” he suddenly said. “At least I found someone to share hot coco with again.”

 

I laughed, white puffs coming out of my mouth. “I’d be happy to be of service.” I smiled. He smiled back and did the most inhumane thing possible. He kissed my cheek.

 

 I didn’t bother uttering a single word as he spoke; his voice was coated with so much gratefulness and warmth, my heart practically swelled to the size of a watermelon.

 

 “Thank you.”

 

{ c o n t i n u e }

 

a/n

please upvote ^^

even if I have no idea what's it for...

anyway, have you guys seen the cheeky bonus?