09. Nostalgia

Spontaneously Falling in Love

Since that date, Muhyon and Haerin hangs out together a lot. He would take her on dates, parties, or just driving her home. On the other hand, Kyuhyun was growing more uneasy, with Muhyon always barging in when he was with Haerin.

Fortunately, today Kyuhyun is finally driving Haerin home, because Muhyon ha to do some kind of group project from his lecturer.

"Ah, it's been a while since I drove you home," said Kyuhyun to Haerin in the car.

"Come on, it's only been a week," Haerin replied, pulling her seatbelt.

Kyuhyun just shook his head. The car got out of the parking lot and into the driveway.

"So," Kyuhyun said as he turned the tape on. "How is it with Muhyon hyung?"

"He's fine. He's really nice, Kyuhyun-ah. But why does Hyesang unnie keep on telling me to be careful with him?" Haerin asked, confusion and curiosity in her voice.

"Well, Muhyon hyung is known as chic magnet, womanizer, the playboy. It's because of his somewhat handsome face, his dad's wealth and his poisonous charms," Kyuhyun explained. "Hah. As if I'm no more charming and handsome than him."

Haerin bursted into laughter hearing Kyuhyun's muttering. "Aigoo, Kyuhyun-ah, are you jealous?" she asked between her laugh.

"Bouya? No!" Kyuhyun quickly denied. "I just don't see what's so great about him despite three things I mentioned."

Which by the way is FAKE!

***

It was 5 o' clock when they arrived at Haerin's house.

"Gomawo, Kyuhyun-ah. Wanna come in?" Haerin offered.

Kyuhyun thought for a second. "Sure. Is your brother home?"

Haerin nodded. After Kyuhyun locked the car, he walked with her inside the house.

"Annyeong, I'm back!" Haerin yelled, made echoes in the big house.

Haesang ran down the stairs to see his sister and found her standing at the door, beside her was a man. A familiar man.

"Yah, Cho Kyuhyun!" Haesang leaped to Kyuhyun and hit his shoulder. "Long time no see, man. What are you doing with my sister?"

"Your sister never told you about me? Aish," Kyuhyun shook his head in fake disappointment, making Haerin roll her eyes. "We're best friends, went to the same faculty. I drive her home often you know, but unfortunately you weren't home."

Haesang nodded in understanding then turned to Haerin. "Yah, yeodongsaeng. Why didn't you tell me you were friends with Kyu?"

"Why should I tell you?" Haerin asked back.

"Aish, this kid," Haesang sighed. "Come on in, Kyuhyun. My parents are inside."

Haerin and Kyuhyun followed Haesang to the main room, where Mr. and Mrs. Park were relaxing. Mr. Park was reading a business magazine while Mrs. Park was watching a documentary movie.

"Appa, umma! Look who's here!" Hesang said happily as he pointed to Kyuhyun who was standing behind his sister.

His parents turned to see what Haesang is so happy about. Once they saw Kyuhyun, Mr. Park quickly ran to hug the boy.

"Kyuhyun-ah!" he exclaimed, patting Kyuhyun's shoulder. "What are you doing here, son? Tell me, how are you? How's your family?"

"Uncle Haewoo! I was just driving Haerin home from campus, we've known each other for a while now and we went to the same faculty," he answered. "And my family's great, Uncle. And I see that you guys are doing fine too."

"Perfectly fine, Kyu. Come on sit, we all have a lot of catching up to do," Mr. Park invited Kyuhyun and the whole family to sit down. Mrs. Park told the waiter to make teas.

Haerin nudged Kyuhyun who was sitting next to her. "I didn't know you were this close to my family."

Kyuhyun grinned. "My dad and your dad goes a long way back."

***

So, Kyuhyun and the Park family did their catching up till late. Kyuhyun left the house at nine. After Haerin escorted him, she was going to go upstairs to take a shower when her parents called her.

"What is it, appa, umma?" she asked and sit between the two.

Mr. Park caressed his daughter's head. "Haerin-ah, it seems that you are very close to Kyuhyun-ah," he said.

"Well, pretty close, appa. Wae?"

Mr. Park exchanged look with Mrs. Park, then he asked, "What do you think about marriage?"

Haerin's eyes constantly widened. "Marriage?! With Kyuhyun?!" she turned to her dad and her mom. "Why?!"

"Calm down, sweetheart, we're not forcing you into it, just.. suggesting," Mrs. Park petted her daughter's head.

"But why Kyu?" Haerin asked again, her voice calming down.

"Well, his dad and I had been friends for years, since we were in college actually," Mr. Park started the story. "He got married two years before me and got a daughter named Ah-Ra. Two years after, your brother was born and a month after him, Kyuhyun was.

"Your brother and him, they spend a lot of time together as a kid because us parents have to go to work. You, born a year after as a girl, you never wanted to play with them boys. You spend your time with crayons and story books and music.

"Kyuhyun kept on asking you to join them playing outside, even though you always refused. As you all grew up, you got busy with school and both Haesang and Kyuhyun rarely meets," Mr. Park stopped, waiting for Haerin to memorize all of those story.

A movie started to play inside Haerin's head. She remembered when she was just a little girl, she really likes to read. Every time she was reading a book, there was this boy who likes to play with her brother. He'd tug on Haerin's arm, gesturing that he wants her to come play with them. But she would just shrug his hands off and continue reading. He was that boy. The boy that wanted her to have fun. Even now. Kyuhyun.

"You never remembered Kyuhyun-ah, have you?" Mrs. Park asked.

Haerin shook her head.

"So, honey, what I mean is, I've known Kyuhyun and his family from a long, long time, and he's a good boy from a good family. I trust Kyuhyun. I think he's the best for you," Mr. Park continued.

"But, appa. I don't love Kyuhyun, I'm not in love with him, at all. We're just friends," Haerin softly rejected her father's wish.

"That's okay, Haerin-ah. We're not forcing you into this," Mr. Park smiled and nodded understandingly. "I believe that any man you choose will be the best for you."

"Gomawo, appa, umma. Saranghae," Haerin smiled in relief and hugged her parents.

She kissed them both on the cheek, and went upstairs to her room and took a shower. She wore her pajamas and lie in bed. An image of Kyuhyun suddenly appeared in her mind. Why does appa and umma want me to marry Kyuhyun-ah? She let out a big sigh. Then Muhyon's face appeared, making Kyuhyun's face fade away from Haerin's mind. Could it be that I like Muhyon oppa?

Haerin felt herself blush. She quickly slapped herself to erase all those thoughts away. After turning the tape player on her room on and turned off the lights, she covered herself with a blanket and go to sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© hellopsr's stories, 2011 

 

Turns out that Kyuhyun is someone from Haerin's past. But now there is Muhyon. How's it gonna be for Haerin?

TGIF! Made a pretty long chapter to start your weekend, I hope you guys don't get bored reading it. Comment and subscribe! Kamsa ^^