14. Family Approval

Spontaneously Falling in Love

Even on her way home, Haerin was still worried about Kyuhyun. And there was this one question that she didn't get to ask him, about Kyuhyun talking about her at dinner like the maid said. Out of worry, she kept on tapping her fingers on her thighs. Muhyon who noticed Haerin's weird behavior decided to ask.

"Haerinsshi, what's wrong?"

"Huh?" Haerin snapped out of her wandering thoughts. "Nothing, oppa. I'm just worried about Kyuhyun-ah."

Aish, that kid again. Get over it already, Muhyon rolled his eyes, but then said, "What's to worry, Haerinsshi? His sister's there. Besides, it's not like he needs you there every second, right? So calm down, he's fine."

Haerin sighed. "You're right. I worry too much. I just hope he gets well soon," she smiled at him. "Gomawo, oppa. I love you, really."

"I love you too, Haerinsshi," Muhyon smiled in return, but that smile slowly turned to a smirk. She's too easy.

They arrived at Haerin's house. Before she got off, she asked Muhyon if he wanted to come in and meet her family. Muhyon thought acting like a gentleman in front of Haerin's family could make him earn her trust more, so he agreed to it. After he parked the car both of them went inside the house.

As usual, Haesang ran downstairs to see her sister. From the stairs, he saw Haerin brought a boy again to the house. "Yah, Haerinsshi! Are you with Kyuhyun again?" he shouted. When he approached the two, he realized that he's mistaken. An unknown man was standing behind her sister.

"No, oppa. This is Kang Muhyon, my.. boyfriend," Haerin introduced Muhyon to his brother.

Haesang stared at Muhyon. He was quite surprised that his sister has a boyfriend. Well, he wouldn't be surprised if her boyfriend was someone she's known for a long time–like Kyuhyun, but Haesang doesn't even know this guy.

Muhyon cleared his throat and bowed to Haesang. "Annyeonghaseyo," he greeted.

"Oh, yeah. Annyeonghaseyo, Muhyonsshi," Haesang replied coldly.

Haerin was a bit annoyed by his brother's behavior towards his boyfriend, but she quickly got over it because she thought that Haesang was only being like this because this is the first time they met. He'll come along, she thought. "Oppa, is appa and umma home?"

"Inside as usual," answered Haesang.

Haerin made a wide smile. "Come on, Muhyon oppa, I'll introduce you to my parents," she said happily as she pulled Muhyon's hand. Haesang followed them behind.

"Appa, umma~" Haerin called happily. Her parents who were watching the news turned to see their daughter, who was holding the hand of a strange young man.

"Hello, honey," Mrs. Park said, from the tone of her voice, she was a little bit unsure. "Who is this?"

Haerin bit her lips and looked down. "Um, umma, appa.. this is my.. boyfriend, Kang Muhyon," she said carefully.

Mrs. Park turned to her husband who was quite in shock. Haerin already expected this reaction, and how she hoped in her heart that her parents would just get over it already.

"Oh, nice to meet you then," Mrs. Park finally said, making Haerin looked up at her, smiling with glee.

"Pleasure's mine, Mrs. Park," Muhyon bowed to Haerin's parents.

Mr. Park chuckled then gestured Muhyon to come sit with them. "Muhyonsshi, would you join us for dinner? So you could tell me more about yourself, and your relationship with my daughter."

Muhyon and Haerin looked at each other and gulped.

"Uh.. of course?"

***

Meanwhile, at the Cho residence, Kyuhyun and his family were having dinner.

"So, Kyuhyunnie, are you feeling any better?" Mrs. Cho asked.

"Huh? Oh yes, umma," Kyuhyun answered. He was playing with his dinner, still thinking about that incident earlier with Muhyon. He knew that the real battle has begun, and Muhyon is definitely holding all the cards–and the prize. But he can't lose to him.

"Ah, umma, appa," Ara called to her parents. "Do you remember Uncle Haewoo's children, Haesang and Haerin?" she asked. Her parents nodded in response. "Well, Haerinsshi was visiting Kyuhyun earlier today. Turns out that they go to the same faculty, and they're best friends." Ara told her parents about what had happened that day.

"Really, Kyu? It's been a long time since I've seen Haewoo's children," Mr. Cho said. "Why didn't you tell me that you were friends with Haewoo's daughter?"

"Well, appa. I've only known her for a month," Kyuhyun replied with his mouth full.

"Wait. You and Haesang had been friends for years, you never met his sister?"

"No, appa," Kyuhyun shook his head. "Why does people keep on asking me that?"

"Nothing, Kyu. It's just that it seems kind of weird that you know Haesang but not his sister," his umma answered.

The family continued their dinner. Suddenly, Kyuhyun's dad called out to Kyuhyun.

"Kyuhyun-ah, you're gonna be graduating soon, right?" he asked.

"Probably three or four months from now, appa," Kyuhyun nodded. "I still have thesis."

"Ah, yes. Well, Kyu, since you're my only son, I've always wanted you to take over the hospital," Mr. Cho said. "But I'm not forcing you into it, no. I know you've decided to go for Post Modern Music after graduating from Medical faculty. But, Kyu, before you continue on your studies and have a real career, I want you to get married."

Kyuhyun choked on his drink. "Wha–? Appa, I don't–"

"Consider it a suggestion," his father added. "Your umma and I, we're getting older and older, and you and your sister are too. You're an adult now, a grown man. I trust you, son. But I can only trust you more by seeing you getting married, ready to take full responsibilities as a man, head of the family. And I think you're old enough for that."

"But, appa. I'm not going out with anybody right now, and no, I won't agree to an arranged marriage," Kyuhyun stated.

"What about Haerinsshi?" his mother asked.

Kyuhyun choked for the second time.

"Kyu-ah, I know this came as a big surprise for you, but please, don't take it too hard. We're just suggesting," Mrs. Cho said softly.

"I've known her father since I was young. They're a nice family. Plus, you and Haesang has been friends for years, and now, you and Haerinsshi are best friends," Mr. Cho smiled meaningfully to his son. "It's like match made in heaven."

Kyuhyun sighed in frustration. "She already has a boyfriend, appa," he suddenly said. "And she's in love with him, not me."

His father and mother exchanged surprised looks and asked in unison, "What? How come?"

Kyuhyun just shrugged. "I don't know. It's her choice, right?"

Mr. and Mrs. Cho sighed. Ara was sensing that his little brother has feelings for Haerin, because his cranky-toned-but-trying-not-to-care answer. She smirked–trying to hold in a giggle, but Kyuhyun didn't pay attention, and continue talking to his parents.

"Mianhe, appa, umma. But I'm still planning to focus on my studies first. But I promise, if I have a girlfriend, I'll introduce her to you guys," he said sincerely to his parents.

"That's okay, Kyuhyun-ah. I know, whoever the girl you choose, she'll be the best for you," Mr. Cho smiled to his son.

Kyuhyun nodded. "Gomawo, appa," he said as he put his table napkin on his empty plate. "Excuse me, but I still have some reading to do. Goodnight, appa, umma. G'night, noona."

After he excused himself, Kyuhyun went upstairs to his room. He sat on his bed, leaning towards the wall, his eyes staring at the ceiling.

Why didn't I agree to it? My father could've easily arranged a wedding for me and Haerin.. but I know she won't like it. She'll force her feelings for me, like she did all this time for her parents. I don't want Haerin to be like that again, but I do know that I love her. But still, there's Muhyon in the way.. I don't want Haerin to just force her feelings for me because her parents told her to, but I want to win her over. I'm willing to do anything for her.

The sound of a phone ringing snapped Kyuhyun out of his thoughts. It was his. Haesang's name showed up on the screen. Haesang? Why is he calling me? Kyuhyun was a bit startled. It's been a long time since they've been on the phone. So he picked it up.

"Yeobuseyo?"

"Yeobuseyo? Kyuhyun-ah?" he heard Haesang on the other end of the phone.

"Yeah, it's me. What is it?" Kyuhyun asked him.

"Kyu, you know that my sister has been going out with a guy named Kang Muhyon?" he asked in an urgent tone.

"Yeah, but why? Did he do something to Haerin?" Kyuhyun became anxious.

"No, she brought him home today to introduce him to our parents," Haesang explained. "But, I don't like him. He seems.. dangerous, I don't know."

"He is!" Kyuhyun's shout made Haesang pulled the phone away from his ears. "He is dangerous. Haesang, your sister's boyfriend is a playboy."

"What? Why didn't you tell my sister to stay away from him?" Haesang started nagging at him.

"I tried to, but she assured me that he's okay, so I let her," answered Kyuhyun. "But I'm still not comfortable with him near Haerin. I don't like him."

"Well, me too, but my parents seems to like him," Haesang sighed. "I heard the other day that my parents were going to marry Haerin to you, but with Muhyon around, I'm starting to doubt the chances."

"I know, my parents did too."

"Honestly, Kyu. My sister is better of when he's with you," Haesang chuckled.

"I know. I think so too," Kyuhyun muttered, didn't realized that Haesang could hear him over the phone.

"You like my sister?" asked Haesang in a flat tone.

"Isn't it kinda obvious?" Kyuhyun returned the question. "Come on, Haesang, you've known me for years!"

"I know, I know, I can see it since the first time she brought you home," Haesang laughed, making Kyuhyun a little annoyed. "Well, if you like my sister, then good. I don't want to have a brother-in-law like Muhyon anyway, I like you better. Go for it."

"Cool, my future brother-in-law has approved," Kyuhyun smirked. "Okay then, gomawo Haesang! I love you to death!"

"I'm sorry but I am currently in a relationship," Haesang laughed.

"Seriously? You never told me you had a girlfriend."

"Of course I have one. I'll tell you about her next time we hang out, okay?"

"Okay. Thanks again, Haesang."

The call ended.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© hellopsr's stories, 2011 

 

Finally be able to update! In a cafe with my ELF friends, kkk~ thanks for waiting so long! :D
P.S. @TiHae4ever: Don't worry. Haerin's not his sister xD