21. Truths Revealed

Spontaneously Falling in Love

Haerin stared blankly through the window, watching the doctor and nurse examining Kyuhyun and his parents and his sister inside there, crying and praying for him. She rubbed her sore eyes, she didn't stop crying since they arrived at the hospital. This is all my fault.

Hyesang patted Haerin's shoulder. "It's not your fault, Haerinnie," she said as if she just read Haerin's mind. "Kyuhyun did all this because he loves you."

"Apparently I was too stupid to notice it," Haerin said with her hoarse voice because of crying.

"Oh, no, no, no, honey.." Hyesang bent her knee down to level with Haerin and wiped her dongsaeng's tears with her finger. "No, don't cry. Don't think like that. Kyu never blamed you for loving Muhyon, he never blamed you for anything. He only blamed himself because he couldn't protect you. Calm down. He'll be okay," she said, trying to calm Haerin down. She took Haerin to the waiting room, where they sat for the next three hours with Donghae, waiting for any news from the doctor.

Haerin fell asleep, while Donghae and Hyesang patiently waited for the doctor or for Kyuhyun's family to show up with a relieving news.

Donghae was texting on his phone when Ara showed up in the waiting room.

"Ara!" he anxiously approached her. "How is Kyuhyun-ah?"

Ara took a deep breath before answering Donghae's question. "Kyuhyun is in a coma."

Hyesang couldn't help but to gasp. "What?!"

"His conditions are stable, but we still don't know when he's going to wake up," Ara sighed. "Please just pray for my brother. I don't want to lose him again."

Donghae and Hyesang nodded. After they prayed for Kyuhyun, the three of them were talking.

Haerin heard the three talking so she woke up. She didn't bothered to join the conversation, she kept on leaning on the hand rest and listened to the three talking.

"Kyuhyun said it was 3 years ago, so why are you worried? He seems okay," Donghae asked Ara, referring to the 2007 accident.

"No, I'm just afraid it will damage him or something, I don't know, I'm just worried, Hae," Ara sighed. "I was so relieved when God gave my little brother a second chance on living. Oh, that accident made a really big wound on Kyuhyun's life. He almost lost everything. He almost lost his life, his dreams, his memories, I thought–"

"His memories?" Donghae cut her off.

"Kyuhyun never told you?" Ara asked but then she shook her head with a sad smile. "Of course. He can't even remember."

Donghae, Hyesang–and Haerin, who were all listening to Ara grew more confused and curious.

"When Kyuhyun got into that accident, other than he had to be operated because of his pneumothorax, fractures and bruises, the doctor also said that Kyuhyun lost a small part of his memories. Small things that didn't occur or mean much in his life. I thought it wasn't dangerous at all.." said Ara, she looked down, tears started to form in her eyes. "Kyuhyun seemed as if he didn't forget everything, when he actually forget a big part of his life now. He forgot about this little girl, whom he used to like. He would ask her to come play with him, but she always refused. They seemed close but they were far. Kyuhyun wanted her to have fun, Kyu wanted to be her best friend. And I didn't thought that it would happen, even with no memory of her, he managed to be her best friend after all. No, he managed to fall in love with her again. The same girl he always wanted to be close to.."

Haerin put her hands over , trying not to let a gasp escape her quivering lips. One, two drop of tears started falling down from her eyes.

".. that girl is Haerin," Ara finally said. "And if it wasn't for that , Muhyon, they probably would've gotten married by now."

Before they could even say anything, all of them heard a soft, helpless sob. Hyesang put her hand around Haerin who was crying very loud, her shoulders shaking up and down. 

"It's okay.." Hyesang whispered to her. "It's okay."

***

The doctor finally allowed them to see Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun's parents stayed outside while Donghae, Hyesang, Haerin and Ara stayed inside the room. They only stood there in silence, staring intensely at Kyuhyun's heartbeat detector screen. It was still beating stably.

Haerin sat besides his bed, holding his hands. She didn't stop mouthing prayers for as long as she's been there.

"Haerinnie, you're not going home?" Ara asked after Hyesang and Donghae left.

"No, unnie. I'm staying here," Haerin answered. "Don't worry, I called Haesang oppa. And I brought clothes. Unnie, I.. don't wanna leave Kyuhyun."

Ara nodded. "Okay, I'm staying here too. I'm gonna talk to the doctor, please watch after him. Gomawo, Haerinnie."

"Okay unnie."

Ara went out of the room and waited outside to talk to the doctor and nurses, leaving Haerin alone in the room with Kyuhyun. For the past 2 hours she's been there, she never let go of his hand. And Kyuhyun just laid there helplessly in bed, with tubes, hoses and cables connected to him. He looks so calm, like he was sleeping. Haerin caressed his left cheek.

"I'm sorry, Kyu-ah," she whispered to him. "Wake up.. please, wake up.."

There was no respond from Kyuhyun.

Haerin wiped the hint of tears in her eyes. She looked around the white, cold room. Something on the coffee table caught her eyes. It was Kyuhyun's backpack. Donghae picked it up from Kyuhyun's car when he went back to the cafe to get it. Haerin let go of Kyuhyun's hand and walked towards the table. Of course, Haerin knew better than to mess with other people's stuff, but she really wanted to know what Kyuhyun had in his pack. 

Kyuhyun brought a lot of books, if not Medical books, it's novels. He brought a joystick, just as Haerin thought. One jacket and an aviator, his wallet and iPod. Haerin found Kyuhyun's phone on the pack's front pocket and took it. She walked back to Kyuhyun's bed and held his hand again, one hand playing with his phone.

Haerin touched the screen of the phone and it lights up. How flustered she was when she saw Kyuhyun's homescreen wallpaper.

It was the picture of the polaroid Haerin gave to him. The only thing different about it was a handwriting, written with a pen in a black ink. Me and everything I want in life.

Haerin looked at the picture intensely, her eyes gazed at the sentence. She smiled, and tears started to form in her eyes. One, two drop rolled from her eye.

"Oh, Kyu, mianhe.." she said, almost whispering. "I know.. that I have come to this conclusion too late, but I.. I love you. And you are everything, everything I want in life.."

Kyuhyun stayed in silence. Haerin wanted him to wake up and say that he loves her too, but she knew it would take a miracle for Kyuhyun to come back.

"Do you hear me? Kyuhyun, wake up," she called again. "I still need you here. Kyuhyun, saranghaeyo."

Haerin buried her face to the bed, her hands still holding Kyuhyun's. She cried, but between her sobs she hoped. She hoped that Kyuhyun would come back to her again. Haerin cried for so long, she cried herself to sleep.

Not too long after that, Ara came in. It was one o' clock in the morning and the hospital was almost empty. She saw Haerin fell asleep, her head on Kyuhyun's bed. Ara smiled and shook her head. She took a blanket from the sofa and covered Haerin with it. She noticed Kyuhyun's phone on the bed and picked it up. She touched the screen, and smiled seeing the wallpaper.

"I'm glad that my brother has found you once again."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© hellopsr's stories, 2011 

 

Love has no expiration date, Haerin. :)