23. Another Decision

Spontaneously Falling in Love

It has been two weeks and Kyuhyun can finally go home. His left hand is still on healing process and he's still wearing a cast, but he can already do his daily activities aside from campus. Everyday Haerin would come over to his house after campus to bring Kyuhyun some books and help him on his on-going thesis. At first, Haerin didn't want to help and insisted that Kyuhyun shouldn't worry about thesis and just focus on resting until his hand is normal again. But being his stubborn self, Kyuhyun persevered until Haerin half-heartedly let him.

"Haerin-ah, are there any books about dream state?" asked Kyuhyun, his eyes glued to the book on his lap. They were in his room, writing a chapter about mind-states and brain phenomenon.

Haerin browsed the pile of books next to her until she finally found the book Kyuhyun wanted. "Here, and since when did you start calling me Haerin-ah?" she asked as she handed him the book.

"Since you've become my girlfriend," Kyuhyun replied, grinning.

"And exactly when did I became your yeoja-chingu?" she asked again in a teasing manner.

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow. He smirked. "Hmmm, I don't know probably since three weeks ago? 'Kyuhyun-ah saranghae, don't leave me!' Any of those words ring a bell?"

"," Haerin laughed. She shifted closer to Kyuhyun and landed a brief kiss on his lips. "Saranghae."

Kyuhyun smiled at his girlfriend. They never labeled themselves as a couple, he never asked her to be and she never did too, but they both already knew that they have mutual feelings for each other called love. Kyuhyun too didn't plan of having this dating relationship too long, since their parents already agreed on marriage, he wanted to propose to her soon, but he still don't know when. And besides, Kyuhyun doesn't want to seem aggressive, and he doesn't want to freak her out either. After all, Haerin is still on healing process too.

He leaned closer to Haerin's face until their lips touched and he deepened it into a passionate kiss. His left hand moved from her hand to her waist, pulling her closer to him as the kiss became more deep. Just then, a knock on their door interrupted their embrace, making Kyuhyun broke the kiss. "Come in," he said, a bit out of breath.

The door opened and Ara and Haesang entered the room.

"Sorry for interrupting you guys," Ara said. "but Haerinnie, your parents are here."

"For dinner," Haesang added. 

"We'll be right down," Kyuhyun said.

"Okay."

After the elders left, Kyuhyun and Haerin followed them down to the dining room where their parents are already seated and delightful feasts are prepared. They both bowed to their parents and took a seat. The atmosphere was rather tense, as if they were in some kind of an important dinner. All the butlers and maids left and the room was in complete silence.

"Are you well now, Kyuhyun-ah, dear?" Mrs. Cho asked.

"Neh, umma," Kyuhyun replied. He reached for the spoon in front of him but his hand was caught by Haerin.

"Here, let me help you," she said.

Kyuhyun's brows joints. "Haerin-ah, this is embarassing," he whispered to her, agitated. "I'm not left-handed, I can eat just fine."

"You sure?"

"I'm sure."

Just when Kyuhyun was about to spoon the crab soup from the bowl, Haerin's umma interrupted. "Haerin-ah, why don't you feed Kyuhyun? His hand is still hurt, honey, help him."

Haerin looked at Kyuhyun, who was already looking at her with a questioning glare. "I'll help you, okay?" she asked again.

Kyuhyun pouted. "Fine."

Soon, everybody had finished eating and it was time for dessert. Cakes and puddings were served on the table, with liquors following.

"Kyuhyun-ah," Mr. Cho said before sipping the red wine in his glass. "How's your thesis?"

"Pretty well, appa. Presentation's due in two weeks, I hope I can do well," said Kyuhyun.

"Then you're going to be graduated next month, Kyuhyun-ah?" asked Mr. Park.

"Neh, uncle."

"What are you going to do after graduating? Are you going to help out at the hospital?" asked Mrs. Park. "You'll make a great doctor, Kyuhyun-ah."

"Kamsahamnida, Aunt Chanyoung," Kyuhyun replied. "I'm thinking about helping out at the hospital for a year and go back to earn my Master."

Mr. Cho cleared his throat, interrupting. "Actually, Kyuhyun-ah, I have another plan for you," he said.

"Hm? What is it, appa?" Kyuhyun asked. He glanced at Haerin who was as serious as he is, paying attention to his father.

"Kyuhyun-ah, I have a friend in Germany, you remember René Ackerman? He's one of the manager of this prestigious medical school there in Berlin," Mr. Cho said, receiving a nod from Kyuhyun. "Well, I've been talking to him about you and your grades and your interest in Psychology. He has an acceleration program, for a year, with the best professors and experts on Psychology."

Haerin looked worried of where this conversation is going. She bit her lower lip, and her fingers started tapping nervously against the table. Kyuhyun noticed these gestures, so he reached for Haerin's hand and held it in his to comfort her.

"Kyuhyun-ah, I want you to study there," his father continued. "Instead of going back to Kyung Hee, you can have your Master there. Mr. René said, if you're willing to do it, he would take care of everything. Besides, you're the one who wanted to be a great doctor, you can be one there."

Everybody's eyes are on Kyuhyun, waiting for him to answer.

"But appa," he said, his voice was firm. I can't leave Haerin alone. Not after what happened."

Mr. Cho gazed at Haerin, who was staring at Kyuhyun. He thought for a while before turning to his son again. "Just consider it, okay son? I'm only doing what I think is best for you, but I'm sure you know more."

"Neh, appa," said Kyuhyun, ending the conversation.

The family quickly changed topics and soon they were talking to each other, leaving Kyuhyun and Haerin quiet in their seats.

***

"Are you going to leave?"

Kyuhyun was surprised by Haerin's word. He turned to her and replied, "No, I won't."

"Why not?"

"I promised not to leave you, remember?"

Haerin lift her face up to see Kyuhyun, gazing back at her. He sat besides her, letting her rest her head on his shoulder.

"I won't leave you. Never unless you don't want me anymore," he said to her again.

"But Kyuhyun-ah, like your father said, isn't that what you want?" asked Haerin.

"No. You're all I want in life," answered Kyuhyun, kissing Haerin's forehead.

"I want you to be happy," Haerin said.

"I'm already happy with you."

"Doesn being a doctor makes you happier?"

"I can do it here in Korea."

"The best doctor?"

"I can learn good enough to be the best."

"Best of the best?"

"I can get my Master here in Kyung Hee. Seriously, Haerin-ah, do you want me to go?" asked Kyuhyun, almost yelling.

"No."

"Then why?"

"I still need some time.. to recover. To let go. To forgive myself for hurting you. But, will your absence make this all easier?"

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© hellopsr's stories, 2011 

 

To leave or not to leave, that is the question. Will leaving make it all better? That's another bigger question.

Cliffhanger! DANDANDAN. Tomorrow is my last day of midtest, wish me luck! Mianheyo, if I take so long to update. Currently fixing up new fics. Comments and subscribes are loved. Gomawoyo! ♥