Part II : Kim Joonmyun

Pieces of My Heart

 

o o 4;

 

It was hard, fitting in a new school, a new environment, with new people to adapt with. It certainly didn’t help – for someone as introvert as me, being from shy to morose unconditionally.

I simply refused to start a conversation with anyone, afraid that if I were to let them in, I would eventually lose them.

It was hard leading the loner life, but it was my way of coping.

On the first day of school, after introducing myself (which took much force from the teacher), she placed me next to a boy named Kim Joonmyun.

I did, and the first thing I noticed was his paled white skin.

He gave me a small smile, which I did not return. I guess he deserved it, for making me so uncomfortable by watching my every single move with his bright crescent eyes.

I’ve gotten so good at ignoring people, so I had no trouble doing it to him. He gave up eventually, when the teacher called for his attention.

His head jerked up and I saw, from the corner of my eye, how his milky cheek flushed slightly in embarrassment.

I felt a smile tugging at the corner of my lips.

 

When lessons ended for the day, I packed up my things quickly and was the first to slip out of the class. I could feel some kids’ stares on me, others whispering and pointing, but I just kept my gaze fixed on the floor.

I was halfway out the entrance, when I heard my name being called.

I know that I shouldn’t have turned around and to just keep on walking.

But I did.

I turned.

Joonmyun was running up to me, heavily panting as he did so.

“C-Chorong, wait...” I did.

“Wow, you sure walk fast,” he said, as he stopped right in front of me.

“What do you want?” I asked, keeping a straight face.

“You’re new here, aren’t you?” He grinned. “I heard you’ve just moved into the neighbourhood too.”

I glanced around at the other kids. So I had been the talk of the town?

I really should’ve just kept walking.

I turned back around, ready to just leave my new classmate behind, but he stopped me by putting his hand on my shoulder.

I whirled around.

“Leave me alone!” I hissed angrily, surprising him and myself even. I hadn’t intended on snapping, but my nerves had gotten the best of me.

“O-okay,” he backed off and held up both of his hands in defense. “I’m sorry. I...I’ll see you tomorrow then.”

I wanted to apologize. I wanted to say something. I wanted to tell him that –

What exactly do I tell him?

So, I just did what I do best.

I ran.