XI

Pieces of My Heart

o 2 3 ;

 

 

 

It didn’t take me long to reach Seoul National Hospital. As soon as I did, I ran for the elevators and jabbed in the necessary buttons – all the while debating with myself that Minhyuk would be fine and he’d be waiting for me with the lopsided grin of his, looking all alive and healthy.

 

The second the lift doors opened, I rushed forward without even muttering a quick sorry to a nurse who was on her way in. I couldn’t think straight and I couldn't see where I was walking. All that I could see in my mind was Minhyuk.

 

Minhyuk Minhyuk Minhyuk.

 

“Chorong!” I heard someone calling out for me from behind, and when I whirled around, I found myself getting crushed beneath Joo Hee’s tight embrace.

 

“J-Joo Hee...” I said through a muffled voice and tried to pull myself away. “What happened?” I breathed out a sigh of relief when she finally released me. “How is he? Is he going to be okay?”

 

I took a good look at her. The poor girl’s mascara was smeared all over her face and her blonde locks were in a huge mess. Minhyuk had told me before – Joo Hee tends to overreact and her emotions can be really heightened at times, so an upset Joo Hee didn’t come off as much surprise to me.

 

“I-I don’t know...” she admitted, sniffling back her tears. “B-but, he’s okay now Chorong. The doctor said he’s in a stable condition now. Just that, they need to keep him here for a few days under observation.”

 

I felt so relieved as soon as the words were out of , that my feet almost unbuckled underneath me and I nearly collapsed out of sheer happiness.

 

Minhyuk’s fine, I repeated to myself. He’s going to be okay.

 

“Well...” I started to move forward. “...aren’t you going in to see him? Where is his room?”

 

“Turn round the corner, the first door to your left,” she instructed me. “And...it’s fine, Chorong. I should get going now.”

 

I furrowed my brows in confusion. “What are you talking about? Aren’t you going to stay here with him?”

 

She stared back at me, just as confused. “You don’t...?” her expression started to soften. “Of course not. Minhyuk was on the way to tell you I guess.”

 

“Wait...tell me what?”

 

Joo Hee shrugged, and I could see her eyes getting watery again. “We...we broke up.”

 

My heart fell.

 

“We’ve broken off the engagement.”

 

That piece of news came off as such a shock for me that I had to hold onto the handrail for support. I wasn’t sure of my feelings right there and then. Everything was in such a confusing blur, very hard for me to process.

 

Why?” my voice barely came out above a whisper.

 

To my surprise, Joo Hee threw her arms around me and hugged me close for the second time. Only difference was that, this time felt like a farewell hug.

 

Like, everything was finalised I wasn’t going to ever see her again.

 

“Take good care of Minhyuk please. I know you will. And Chorong...” I could hear the smile in her voice. “...please don’t leave him alone anymore.”

 

I was too busy trying to comprehend what was going on that I didn’t realised when she left but when I did, the coast was empty - no more sweet, smiling Joo Hee with her bright blonde hair.

 

I felt like as if I had actually lost a friend.

 

 

~

 

 

Hours passed and day turned to night, when I suddenly felt a slight movement which woke me up from my nap. I lifted up my head gingerly and saw that Minhyuk’s eyes were opened and he was peering down at me with a small smile on his face.

 

I stirred up and rubbed my eye sleepily.

 

“Rise and shine,” he teased me in a weak voice. “You actually slept longer than me.”

 

“Have you been awake long?” I asked him softly as I his arm gently. “Why didn’t you wake me up?”

 

He tried to laugh, but it turned to be awfully painful for his chest.

 

“Try not to move so much,” I advised him and got up from my seat. “Would you like something to drink?”

 

He smiled. “Yes, please.”

 

I poured for him a glass of water and handed it over to him. Slowly, I helped to adjust his bed so that it was easier for him to sit up.

 

I watched him as he took a careful sip of his water, face cringing as he tried to swallow down the liquid.

 

“Your throat must be really dry,” I commented.

 

“Very much. Thanks,” he handed back the glass to me.

 

“So, how are you feeling?” I asked as I put the glass down on the bedside drawer. “Better,” he said at the same time, like he knew exactly what I wanted to ask him.

 

And if he really did, then he should know what was honestly bugging me.

 

“Minhyuk – “

 

“I’m better now, that you’re here,” he cuts me off with a smile. With that sweet, endearing smile of his, that could almost make me forget about everything and everyone.

 

Almost.

 

“Joo Hee told me...” I started, and studied his face carefully for any kind of reaction. He just simply stared back at me with an unreadable expression.

 

I took in a deep breath. “Joo Hee told me that you guys have broken off the engagement.”

 

For a moment, nothing happened. Minhyuk didn’t say anything. He just held my gaze, as I tried to read his thoughts. But I must’ve so bad at reading minds, because I couldn’t detect a single thing.

 

“She was the one who broke it off,” he finally spoke up, eyes never leaving mine. “And I don’t blame her, because it was the right thing to do.”

 

“But why?” I fired back. “You guys were so in love and so happy. I could see that, Minhyuk. You can’t fake that kind of happiness.”

 

“And I can’t fake the happiness I feel when I’m with you, Rong,” he said calmly, slowly reaching out his hand for mine. "The one thing I truly regret is that it took someone else to figure that out for me. To actually make me see things.”

 

I was stunned.

 

I was greatly, astounded.

 

“Joo Hee has a heart made of gold,” Minhyuk continued when I didn’t say anything else. “She let me go willingly when she realised that I am actually in love with you. I can never make it up to her in this life, for what she has sacrificed for me.”

 

I shook my head and slowly retracted back my hand. “This can’t be happening Minhyuk. You can’t be in love with me. We’ve been friends for so long. I’ve known you practically my whole life!”

 

“And who says best friends can’t fall in love with each other? If  it’s true you don’t feel anything for me, then tell me why were you so upset when I told you about Joo Hee the first time?”

 

“I wasn’t – “ I started to lie, but I knew I couldn’t. Not with Minhyuk.

 

“Don’t even try, Chorong. I know you. I know you better than anyone else. I probably know you better than you know yourself.”

 

That was true, and I know there was no use in denying it.

 

“I also know about that stunt you pulled with that guy, Suho. He isn’t your boyfriend, am I right?” he questioned me quietly.

 

He was being so calm about everything that it scared me to think how deep and thorough he had been pondering over this. How long has he realised this? How long has Joo Hee been aware of this? Why wasn’t I aware? Why wasn’t I conscious of my own feelings?

 

 It was getting too much. I was starting to feel overwhelmed.

 

I guess Minhyuk could sense it too, because he was just about to say, “Chorong”, when I did what I do best.

 

I ran.

 

 

 

 


hold your horses shippers! if you kill me now, you won't get to know the endgame :3