IV

Pieces of My Heart

o 1 6 ;

 

 

 

Any other time, I wouldn't be caught dead in this place. But because of a certain project I hadn't manage to complete, my lecturer had assigned this special assignment, in order for me not to fail the class.
 
 
So there I was, on a hot, sticky summer Monday afternoon, wearing a simple baby-pink shirt and a pair of black shorts as I waited outside the entrance for someone to come and greet me. I pressed the buzzer for a couple more times, before a figure come rushing out finally.
 
 
"Sorry about that," she said, a little out-of-breath as she unlocked the gates for me. "Come on in, you must be Park Chorong."
 
 
I offered the girl, not much older than I was, a small smile as I stepped inside the vicinity. I gripped on to the strap of my leathered sling bag tightly, feeling awkwardly out of place, as my eyes wandered around the peaceful surrounding curiously. There didn't seem to be much people around - at least, none that were around my age.
 
 
"This way, please." The earlier girl placed her hand on the small of my back and led me to where, I'm guessing, the office is situated. I was still holding onto my bag, as she continued to introduce herself.
 
 
"My name's Jin Ah. But you can just call me Nana. I'm one of the senior officers, and I'll be assisting you throughout your duration here. Come on, let's get you settled."
 
 
I followed her from behind closely, while I took a look around at the activities going on around me. Some of them were having their lunch, some were exercising with the help of the volunteers, and a couple of them even waved at me. I waved back, feeling somewhat touched. They didn't know me, yet they were all being friendly.
 
 
"So, since you're here because of your school assignment, I'll just be explaining to you the few basic rules."
 
 
I listened carefully to what Nana had to tell me, nodding my head every few seconds as I absorbed in the information. The job that I had to do didn't seem too hard, and weirdly enough - I was actually excited about starting. 
 
 
"Okay, so here's your pass and now we'll go meet the others." She grinned and gestured on for me to follow her.
 
 
I did, and shortly after, she stopped outside a door marked number '3'. She took a peek inside, before grabbing hold of my wrist and pulled me along.
 
 
"Soon-nim, there's someone I'd like you to meet," she called out at the old man who was sitting by himself on a wheelchair, staring blankly out of the window. At the sound of Nana's voice, he turned to his left slowly and I saw his gaze resting on my face. For a moment, I just stood there, not knowing how to act, but then Nana gave me a small nudge and I started to bow down at him.
 
 
"Annyeong-haseyo," I said softly, sweeping back my hair as I lifted up my head. "My name is Park Chorong."
 
 
"Soon-nim, is it okay for Chorong here to be your friend?" Nana asked.
 
 
He didn't answer immediately. Instead, he studied my face with an unreadable expression, before slowly nodding his head.
 
 
"Go on ahead," Nana whispered. "He's friendly and fun to talk with once you get to know him. If you need any help, you can call me or ask the other volunteers here."
 
 
I just nodded my head numbly as I started to make my way towards the man old enough to be my grandfather. I heard Nana saying goodbye to me, and when I turned around, she was already gone. 
 
 
Realising that I was left alone, I took the chair nearest to him and made myself comfortable on it. I opened my mouth to ask him something, but he beat me to it. 
 
 
"How old are you?"
 
 
"T-twenty one," I replied quietly, a bit startled by his sudden question. 
 
 
To my surprise, he began smiling a bit.
 
 
"You're the same age as my grandson."
 
 
"Grandson?" It slipped out of my mouth unintentionally. I was slightly taken aback. To my knowledge, the elderly who were placed here, didn't have anyone to look after them - and from the way he had said it, it seemed like his grandson was still alive.
 
 
Without turning to face me, he said, "Yes, my only grandchild. He's a volunteer here too, but he can only come by here twice a week. He's supposed to come today."
 
 
I chose my next few words carefully, "Why aren't you living with him?"
 
 
At this, he was silent for a moment and it made me guilty. Perhaps, I was pushing it too far. We had just met, and I was already probing into his personal space.
 
 
"I'm sorry," I began. "I shouldn't - "
 
 
But before I could finish apologising, I was suddenly interrupted by the sound of footsteps approaching us.
 
 
"Harabeoji?"
 
 
~
 
 
 
I stood up, and wiped the palm of my hands against the back of my jeans uncomfortably. Standing face to face with the said grandson, who was looking at me with an amused expression, was enough to make me feel self-conscious all over.
 
 
I didn't know what else to say, so I extended out my hand. "I'm - "
 
 
"Park Chorong," he cuts me off, with that amused glint in both of his eyes, and tone sounding teasing enough. "Nana told me."
 
 
I let my hand dropped to my side. "Yeah, that's me."
 
 
I averted my gaze away from him, looking at everywhere else, but it seemed like he still finds my face a fascinating piece of object.
 
 
"You know," he started. "I don't know how many Park Chorong there are exactly, but oddly enough, you remind me of this girl I used to know. Same name."
 
 
I shrugged and let out an awkward laugh. "Well, like you said, there are others - "
 
 
"Same age."
 
 
" - out there who share the same..."
 
 
"Same eyes."
 
 
"...as me. Okay," I said pointedly and stared at him. "Look, I don't know you alright? I just came here, and talked to your grandfather - "
 
 
"Definitely same temper," he interrupted me again, with a knowing smile. 
 
 
There was something about that smile.
 
 
I was at loss for words. "Like I said, I don't know you."
 
 
"You didn't even ask for my name," he responded simply, eyes never leaving my face. 
 
 
And those eyes.
 
 
"I hope you didn't actually forget."
 
 
I continued to stare at him with much incredulity. There was something off about this guy, but I couldn't quite put my finger to it. 
 
 
Unable to bear the awkwardness any longer, I turned towards his grandfather and bowed my head.
 
 
"I have to go now. But I will be back tomorrow, if not the day after."
 
 
I didn't even bother casting another look at him. The way he was staring at me, was already creepy enough.
 
 
And then, there were all those questions...
 
 
But just before I left the room, I heard him saying,
 
 
"We'll meet again, soon. And when we do, I'll make sure you won't forget my name."
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
because i'm in the mood to update :>
& cos i love S :3