XX

Pieces of My Heart

o 3 2 ;

 

 

My steps were light and bouncy as I half-walked, half-skipped towards Woohyun’s workplace the next day. The weather was good, the sky was clear blue, the birds were chirping and I was happy.

 

I was beyond happy. I was ecstatic.

 

And I couldn’t wait to see Woohyun and share the piece of good news with him.

 

Or at least, I hope it’s as good for him as it is for me.

 

As I neared the café, I saw his silhouette busy cleaning and wiping the glass panels. He didn’t see me coming, so I made as little sounds as possible as I slowly crept up to him from behind.

 

I tapped on his right shoulder lightly, and quickly ducked away when he turned.

 

When he glanced over his left side, I hurriedly switched over to the other and waited for him to notice me.

 

“Hi!”I beamed happily at him when he finally saw me. I waited for his face to break into a wide grin, or for him to flick my forehead in annoyance – but my smile faltered when he simply ignored me and went back to his earlier chore.

 

 Undefeated, I stood right in front of him until he had no choice  but to look at me.

 

“Can’t you see that I’m standing here?” I asked, with my two hands on my hips. “I want to talk to you.”

 

Woohyun scoffed. “Save your cute act for someone else. I’m not interested.” He shoved me by the shoulder and went on to the next glass, turning his back on me.”

 

I was starting to get a little annoyed.

 

Yah,” I yanked him back roughly, not caring if he was hurt by my action. “Nam Woohyun, what’s wrong with you? You blew me off yesterday and now you’re giving me this attitude?”

 

“I blew you off before you could blow me off,” I heard him muttering under his breath.

 

What was that?”

 

“What are you doing here anyway?” he raised his voice and pretended as though he hadn’t heard me. “Go back, Chorong. Your place isn’t here.”

 

“What are you talking about? There is really something that I wanted to tell you – “

 

“What?” I could see that I have his full attention now as he defied my stare with a pair of burning gaze. “What is it that you can’t wait to let me know? That you’re happy now with Joonmyun, is that it?”

 

My eyes widened in surprise. I was utterly shocked by his sudden accusation.

 

“Woohyun – “

 

“That you have chosen him over me, is that it?” he demanded as he advanced closer to me, while I backed away instinctively. “That your final choice is him, am I right? Because it has always been about your choice, right Chorong? You think this was all a game. You think that we’re all in this, competing for your attention. You love it, don’t you? You love the fact that every guy is pouring and showering you with their undying love. At the end of the day, you know you have the final say. And we, the unworthy ones, are left to mend our broken hearts while you get to live happily ever after with your prince charming, isn’t it?”

 

I froze on the spot.

 

Right there and then, I questioned every single bit of trust Woohyun and I have between us all these time. I questioned the faith we have put in each other. I questioned the mutual understanding we shared. I questioned the special bond we’re bound to. I questioned the times we spent together. I questioned the words he had told me. I questioned his words which I believed in. I questioned his sincerity. I questioned his trust. I questioned his love. I questioned him.

 

I questioned the Woohyun I once knew.

 

And because I did so, was the reason why my hand flew up and a tight slap landed on his face.

 

He was too surprise by the sudden impact to even move a muscle.   We just stood there, staring at each other as time continued to tick away behind us. I looked into his clear eyes, which were painted with anguished hurt and ego – while he stared into mine, which were b with betrayed tears and tormented pain.

 

“You fool,” I whispered fiercely through my tears. “You’re the biggest fool.”

 

I started to turn around, ready to walk away, when I stopped and lifted up head to meet his broken gaze.

 

“Thank you…” I spoke quietly, vanquishing the deafening silence around us. “…thank you for having so much faith in us.”

 

Then, I walked away.

 

And I never looked back.