VII

Pieces of My Heart

o 1 9 ;

 

 

 

"Why should I come to this dinner?"
 
 
"Because it'll mean a lot to me, having you there. It'll make me really happy if my best friend and fiancee can get along well."
 
 
I just remained silent and stared down at my pair of worn-out Converse. Back then, when we were kids, we'd always wear the same kind of shoes - running around to various places together.
 
 
But now, stealing a glance to my right, I noticed that Minhyuk was wearing an entirely different type of shoes - the black kind you would wear when you usually want to impress someone.
 
 
Not me, of course. He must have a date planned after this.
 
 
Minhyuk must've sensed my hesitation. "Rong-ah?"
 
 
I took in a deep breath. "I'll go - but on one condition."
 
 
"Anything," he said eagerly, ready to agree to any of my wishes.
 
 
"I get to bring someone too."
 
 
 
~
 
 
 
"Wow, Chorong, you know what?"
 
 
"What?"
 
 
"You're now, officially my fairy-godmother."
 
 
I scrunched up my nose as I adjusted the strap of my heel, trying to keep my balance on one foot at the same time. In my haste, I almost fell, if Joonmyun hadn't grabbed hold of my arm and held on to me firmly.
 
 
"Thanks," I managed quietly and stood up straight, my face feeling hot all of a sudden.
 
 
"No problem," he grinned, and held out his arm for me to take. "Come on."
 
 
I was a little hesitant at first, but that was only for a split-second, before I bashfully slipped my arm in his. As soon as he made sure I was safely tucked in, he started walking again, with me falling in step next to him.
 
 
I then remembered what he had said earlier. 
 
 
"Yah, what do you mean I'm your fairy-godmother?"
 
 
He stared at the distance up ahead and smiled to himself. Seeing how I wasn't getting my answer, I pinched him lightly on the arm.
 
 
Wincing, he asked, "Do you always get your answers using violence?"
 
 
"Not always," I gave him an evil grin. "Only when it comes to you."
 
 
"I must be the luckiest man."
 
 
"Most likely."
 
 
"Fine," he chuckled, and paused in his tracks. I stopped too. We were just about a few feet away from the promised restaurant. Minhyuk, and his fiancee was probably already inside, waiting for us. Right at that moment, I couldn't care less though. I was actually more intrigued with what Joonmyun had to say.
 
 
And, I also noticed that my heart was beating ten times faster than usual.
 
 
"Because," he began, turning to face me. "Tonight, you've granted one of my three wishes."
 
 
"And what is that?" I asked curiously.
 
 
He touched the tip of my nose lightly with his finger.
 
 
"To go on a date with you."
 
 
 
~
 
 
 
I braced myself for the moment; the moment where I would be meeting the woman who had stolen my best-friend heart, face-to-face, eye-to-eye.
 
 
Honestly, I didn't know what I was supposed to be feeling.
 
 
Part of me was happy that Minhyuk had found his happiness, but a part of me was upset over the fact that Minhyuk might not need me in his life anymore, as much as he did before.
 
 
I felt Joonmyun's hand on the small of my back, pushing me forward gently. When I looked up, he was giving me a reassuring smile, which radiated warmness and serenity - and it was all I needed to calm myself down. 
 
 
Joonmyun knew, and he understood.
 
 
Probably more than I did.
 
 
With his encouragement, I pushed open the partition door, which separated the reserved room from everyone else in the restaurant. Secretly, I wished Minhyuk hadn't gone to the extent of isolating ourselves. It would've been easier, and perhaps less intimidating if we weren't together in an enclosed room.
 
 
 
~
 
 
 
"Chorong." Minhyuk started to stand up, and the girl sitting beside him did the same too. "You're here."
 
 
Even though it passed by quickly, just as abruptly as it had sounded, I heard the way he had called my name. It was simply, 'Chorong', instead of his usual 'Rong-ah' and I couldn't help noticing how foreign and distant he had sounded.
 
 
Deciding to brush it off, I forced out a smile which I hoped was friendly enough, and walked over to the table, with Joonmyun following close behind me.
 
 
"Sorry we're late."
 
 
"It's okay," Minhyuk smiled and gestured towards the girl with the long, golden, wavy hair, with her beautiful heart-shaped face which bears the youthfulness of her age - wearing a smile so bright, totally the opposite of mine. "Chorong, this is Joo Hee; my fiancee. Honey, this is Chorong, my bff." He winked at me.
 
 
Before I could even say anything, Joo Hee had already walked round the table and rushed forward, pulling me into a very, tight hug - as though we were long lost friends who haven't met each other in a long time.
 
 
"It's nice to finally meet you! Minhyuk has told me so much about you."
 
 
I let out a small chuckle, which came out more like a choking sound and wrapped my arms awkwardly around her. I wasn't used to being this chummy with anyone, especially a stranger whom I had just met minutes ago.
 
 
"It's...nice to meet you too," I managed, after we finally pull away from each other. "You are...not like how I pictured you to be."
 
 
There was a moment of sudden stillness in the room, and I could feel both Minhyuk and Joonmyun's stares on me.
 
 
What did I just say?
 
 
"I mean..." I laughed nervously. "...that in a good way, of course. Definitely good."
 
 
Joo Hee then laughed along, and I could've sworn I heard Minhyuk letting out a sigh of relief. 
 
 
And possibly, Joonmyun laughing at me behind my back too.
 
 
"Come here," she started pulling at my hand. "Sit beside me. You can tell me all about Minhyuk's dirty secrets."
 
 
I opened my mouth, not quite knowing what to say, when I then heard a coughing sound and I realised I forgot something.
 
"Oh!" I yanked my hand out of Joo Hee's grasp and turned around to cluch on to Joonmyun's instead. "This is...my boyfriend!" I blurted out, before I knew what was happening.
 
 
"Boyfriend...?" Joonmyun muttered under his breath.
 
 
"Yes!" I stepped on his foot and plastered on a huge, fake grin. "Suho...his name is Suho."
 
 
"Suho...?"
 
 
I sneakily hit him on the back, hard, keeping my gaze fixed on Minhyuk. He was watching the pair of us carefully, eyes inspecting Joonmyun from head to toe. I held my breath.
 
 
After a few seconds of deafening silence, Minhyuk broke into a smile and extended out his hand for Joonmyun to shake.
 
 
"Nice to meet you, Suho. But your name...doesn't it mean like some kind of guardian or something? Is that your real name?"
 
 
Joonmyun chuckled awkwardly, and side-eyed me begrudgingly, before finally saying, "Apparently, it is. And yeah...something like that."
 
 
"Well," Minhyuk shrugged. "Works for me. Come on, have a sit. The food will be served soon."
 
 
I didn't let go of his hand, not until we have finally sat down, and the waiter placed our drinks on the table. Minhyuk then turned towards Joo Hee to say something, and taking that distraction as a cue - Joonmyun leaned in and whispered into my ear.
 
 
"What?" he hissed. "Isn't my name nice enough?"
 
 
"I'm sorry, okay," I muttered back quietly. "I don't know what came over me either. And hey, Suho actually sounds nice. I could've came up with a worser name."
 
 
"That's not a word!"
 
 
"Whatever!"
 
 
Joonmyun was about to say something else, but then I felt the vibration coming from inside of my purse, and I cut him off by holding up my hand.
 
 
"Wait," I told him. "I have to take this."
 
 
An unknown number flashed on the screen before me. I frowned in confusion as I slid the answer icon.
 
 
"Hello?"
 
 
"Chorong," Daniel's familiar, deep-sounding voice came over from the other end. "It's me. Can we meet?"