III

Pieces of My Heart

o 1 5 ;

 

 

 

I haven’t heard from Woohyun, ever since that day. Not that I mind anyway – I’ve had enough on my mind, with final year exams just around the corner and Minhyuk’s unexpected return.

 

Speaking of which, Minhyuk had to leave again, just for awhile, to settle some things back at home (or so he said). But he told me, and very convincingly I must add, that he will most definitely be returning soon – and this time, he’s never leaving my side ever again.

 

I will be having my best friend clinging on to me for 24/7, just like old times; what more can I ask for?

 

~

 

 

I took a careful sip of the hot tea that Na Eun had just brewed for me as I logged on to my email account. I couldn’t remember when was the last time I had even checked my mails – and I was pretty sure it would be dreadfully flooded.

 

But deep down inside, I knew the reason why, and as soon as the page loaded – I had to resist the urge to just click on the small X button at the top right corner of the page.

 

I sighed deeply as my eyes skimmed through the screen full of un-read emails, stretching back all the way from 8 months ago.

 

I didn’t know what made me stop reading them. Perhaps it was getting too much – all the waiting, and all the pointless hopes. Or perhaps, I was just afraid of being disappointed, yet again.

 

But then, I couldn’t lie to myself, that a very tiny part of me, at the very small corner of my heart – I still do miss him and I am curious of his well-beings.

 

So maybe, that was why I clicked open the email at the very top of the list as I bit my bottom lip nervously, not quite knowing what to expect exactly.

 

While the message unfolded before me, I took in a deep breath and braced myself for its content.

 

 

Chorong-ah, you haven’t been replying to any of my emails :(  I hope you’re doing fine.

Anyway, just to let you know; I’ll be coming back home in a few days time, so we can meet then :)

And this time, I’m never leaving you again.

 

Daniel

 

 

Great.

 

~

 

 

Unnie! There’s a delivery for you!”

 

I shot up in my seat instantly, hearing Na Eun’s loud voice echoing through the walls of the house. Rubbing my eye sleepily, I darted a glance towards the digital clock on my study table, and realised that I’ve been sleeping for the past hour instead of studying.

 

Groaning, I pushed back my chair with a loud screech and slowly trudged my way out of the room.

 

 

 

“Who is it?” I asked Na Eun, as I walked past her, who was watching some game show on the television.

 

Without taking her eyes off the screen, she just replied, “Someone who’s asking for you.”

 

I rolled my eyes and grabbed the nearest pillow I could reach, before throwing it at my little cousin. She yelped out in response, and I escaped hurriedly before she could hurl it back towards me.

 

Laughing as I did so, I approached the door with a grin on my face. “Yes?”

 

“Park Chorong-ssi?” the guy, who was standing in front of me, wearing a uniform of a delivery company I know fairly well, asked for confirmation.

 

“Yep, that’s me.”

 

He smiled as he handed me a piece of paper. “Can you sign here for me?”

 

“Okay.” I took the paper and the pen from him and just scribbled my name lazily. When I was done, I handed the things back to him, and in return – he presented me with a bouquet of red roses. Cliché.

 

“Thank you,” I said, and waited until he had walked down the steps before I closed the door. Turning back around, I nearly dropped the flowers, along with my heart, when Na Eun was already standing there directly in front of me – waiting like a psychotic creeper.

 

“Can you not do that,” I said in an annoyed tone, as I walked around her and took a sniff of the flowers instinctively.

 

Ignoring the edge to my voice, she continued following me like a lost puppy and asked excitedly, “So, who is it from? Aren’t you going to read the card?”

 

“How do you know there’s a card?” I took a peek inside, and surely there was a small rectangular shape stuck in between.

 

“Wow, unnie, you are really hopeless.”

 

I pluck it out between my fingers and opened it carefully. Sensing that Na Eun was trying to read it from over my shoulders, I decided against it and hugged the flowers to my chest.

 

“Why are you here anyway? Weren’t you busy watching that show of yours?”

 

“Aw, unnie! Let me read it too, please.”

 

“No.”

 

“Please.”

 

I shook my head as I quickened my pace up the stairs. Before she could even try to make a move for it, I hurriedly closed the door behind it and pushed the lock.

 

I continued to ignore her hits of protests on the door and without wasting a second more; I put the flowers aside and started to read the card.

 

 

I would’ve given this to you personally, but I wasn’t sure if you’d chase me out with a broom or splash me with a bucket of water.

Uh well…I’m not really used to this kind of stuff so, sorry? I really am, for my actions that night.

Can we like…start over?

 

That jerk,

Nam Woohyun

 

 

I smiled to myself. The flowers were cliché, and I wasn’t usually impressed with these things.

 

But coming from Woohyun, knowing that he had actually put in the effort – it was something worth smiling about.