XVII

Pieces of My Heart

o 2 9 ;

 

 

 

Kim Joonmyun

 

When I first got to know Chorong, she reminded me of the grumpy dwarf from Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs a lot. She’d always wear a frown on her face, sometimes matched with a scowl and it was such a waste really – because she has such a pretty face.

 

I’ve always told her how much she intimidates me, but it wasn’t because she was scary or being all horrifying. I always stutter, always fumbled with my words because I was afraid of offending her fragile heart. I was afraid, that if I were to say the wrong things – I would totally lose her for good.

 

She always appears all strong and tough, but honestly – she isn’t. She’s sensitive, soft-hearted, almost breakable (at that point of time) and she was on the verge of breaking apart at the time our paths crossed. Yet still, she fought her own battles hard, harder than anyone else I’ve ever known and she stood strong despite being an orphan at such a young age.

 

People may criticise with the way she handled her problems, but I’d say she took care of herself well. She was just merely trying to guard her shattered heart. The hurt that she suffered was enough to last her for a lifetime.

 

I fell in love with this Chorong. The one who teased me about my speech troubles, the one who let me in during her lowest moments, the one who allowed me to follow her around when she clearly wanted to be left alone, the one who gave me butterflies in my stomach for the first time, the one who used me as a punching bag when things got rough, the one who gave me the name ‘Suho’, and also the one who granted me my biggest wish.

 

Park Chorong, the ugly duckling who grew up into a beautiful, elegant white swan. The ugly duckling I fell in love with and the beautiful white swan I am still in love with.

 

Even after all these years, my love for her hasn’t changed for one bit.

 

 

 

Nam Woohyun

 

Chorong knows me as the biggest prankster in the school, the one who always got into trouble and the one who always creates troubles for others. In her eyes, I was the most annoying jerk that she had the misfortune of crossing paths with.

 

But what she doesn’t know is that, I was the one who stood up for her when those other kids spoke badly of her behind her back. I chided them, defended her, and even got myself into fights trying to protect a girl who saw me as nothing except for a gone-case.

 

I’ve had a massive crush on her ever since the day she first joined our class. She wasn’t the prettiest, or the fairest, or the tallest but there was something about her that stood out in my eyes. Perhaps the way she tucks her hair behind her ear every time she’s nervous, or the way she scratches the tip of her nose when she gets uncomfortable, or how soft her voice seemed to be when she presented in front of the class, or perhaps just how she had simply kept to herself.

 

But then Daniel came into the picture, and ever since then – they’ve been inseparable. Even if I tried, there wasn’t the slightest space for me to come in between. Even if I tried to wedge my way in, Chorong wouldn’t give me the time of day. Furthermore, my reputation was ruined in her eyes.

 

When she first spoke to me (or shouted in that sense) after I snatched away her friend’s homework, I was so surprised and taken aback – because that was the first time I’ve ever heard her voice above a whisper.

 

When she told me, “Remember this voice, because this voice will be the one giving you sleepless nights”, I was momentarily paralysed – and true enough, her voice haunted my dreams every other night after that.

 

When we graduated and went our separate ways, I prayed and hoped so hard that fate will bring us back together again. I wanted to make it up to her, for all those years she had viewed me as a jerk.

 

I made a vow to myself, that no matter what it is, I would fight for her because my coward self nearly made me lose her forever. If I was given a second chance, I would make full use of it to prove my sincerity towards her.

 

But as I get to know her more and more, I realised that I just simply want her to be happy. I know for a fact that she has suffered a lot during her childhood and she truly deserves some happiness in her life. I just want to see a smile on her face and I never want it to disappear.

 

If being with someone else makes her happy, then that makes me happy too. If being without me can bring her happiness, then I would let her go.

 

 Even if it means, sacrificing my own happiness.

 

 

 

 

 


this chapter is just to give an insight on the two male characters :>